Good long range varmint caliber?

Sorry guys I had not had a chance to respond. We plan on using this rifle for coyote size game to smaller game. We have senderos of maybe 600 to 700 yards. I do reload. Can you tell me a bit more of the 22 243. That sounds interesting. Budget is about 2000 for rifle.

with that budget you are in good shape no matter what your decision. more frequently i hear "i put 500 rounds throught this 399$ savchester and can't get it to group less than an inch an one half".

Hello guys,

my brother wants to buy a long range varmint caliber. He wants something of smaller than a 243 caliber or a 243, but what do you guys recommend?

I do reload. He doesnt, but I can reload for him.

Any suggestions?

Gil

well your kinda limiting this to .224 and smaller bullets. The baddest .224 on the planet is the .224 Vias, and unless your shooting 70+ grain bullets it's kind of a waste. But it will push a 70 grain bullet faster than the Swift can push a 50 grain bullet! It'll also push a 70 grain 6mm bullet faster than the 50 grain bullet in a Swift! Kenny Jarrette's .220 Jaybird maybe the best with it's case design, but once again you'd be better off using 75+ grain bullets in it. But it has everything going for it (.300" neck length with a 35 degree shoulder). Form cases from .243 brass, and there's actually a smaller amount of case shrinkage than with a lot of other .224 caliber improved cases. It's roughly 400 fps faster than the same bullet out of a Swift, and that's about a hundred feet per second faster than a 22-250 improved. Plus the case design is better.

Personally I like the 6mm Ackley for long distance stuff, but the 6.5 Ackley is a really good design with an excellent barrel life (so is the 6mmAI). The 6mm Ackley probably does best with 90 grain and heavier bullets, and the 6.5 shoots the 140 grain bullet extremely will. Nothing buy a .257AI necked upto 6.5mm. Dave Kiff has several different reamer prints for this one, and it's starting to show up in F class shooting so I've been told. It'll push a 140 grain bullet to about 2970 fps (kinda hot), and that's serious!

The generic 22-250 from Savage can be ordered in a 1:9 twist barrel, now that's one to think about. But I'd be looking at a custom barrel in 6.5 if it were me. Another one to seriously think about id the 6mm/.250 Ackley improved round with a 1:8 twist barrel. It will push a 105 grain Amax to just slightly under 3000 fps without any pressure problems. The case is small enough that you really don't need a 26" barrel, and could get by with a 24" one with no problems. In other words better harmonics. Same could be said with the Jaybird as well.
gary

Sorry guys I had not had a chance to respond. We plan on using this rifle for coyote size game to smaller game. We have senderos of maybe 600 to 700 yards. I do reload. Can you tell me a bit more of the 22 243. That sounds interesting. Budget is about 2000 for rifle.

It is fast, but a barrel burner. IF you improve it, you should be able to push 3600-3700 with 75 gr pills. Simple neck down from 243 brass.

There are a couple variations I know of, 22-243, 22-243 Ackley improved, 22-243 middlestead, 22-243 rahill rocket.

The last one I'm having built, so should be getting it sometime mid august, so could give you some info then.

that's by far the easiest way to go, and will also come in a lot cheaper. But for shear case design and speed it's hard to get better than the .220 Jaybird. It's essentially nothing but an improved 22-250 with a 35 degree shoulder and a .30" neck length. Throat life will be far greater than the other "burners", and the longer neck will also handle long VLD bullets much easier.
gary

Also the rim diameter is the same as the .308 case so if he wants to rebarrel it after it burns out he can go with the .22br, .243 win, 6brNorma, 260 rem, 7mm-08 rem, .308win, .338 fed, etc.....etc....etc... Also it is the same diameter as the 30-06!!!! So he can rebarrel it for any of those cartridges based off the 30-06 case. The rifle is a short action but it is a single shot - so the long action cartridges will work!!gun)
The action can also be used for a bench rest competition rifle because of the stiff single shot action - if your brother decides to do that later on down the road.lightbulb

I can build myself any any caliber any rate of twist, use any bullet I want.

You need to make your choice based on your quarry, distance desired, and your own shooting skills.

Are you shooting 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000 yards.

I love to shoot a .223, 22-250, .220 Swift, 6mmBR, 6mmBRX, 6mm Dasher, 6 x 47, 6mm Creedmoor, .243, 6mm Rem, 6mmAI, 6/.284 and a number of other Wildcats.

For prairie dogs, and groundhogs I prefer slower twist, lighter bullets, faster velocities, and super explosive bullets. For longer distances I prefer faster twist, heavier bullets.

A good range finder, good wind reading ability, practice and more practice.

Just my two cents worth.
Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.