Good long range varmint caliber?

gilmillan1

Hello guys,

my brother wants to buy a long range varmint caliber. He wants something of smaller than a 243 caliber or a 243, but what do you guys recommend?

I do reload. He doesnt, but I can reload for him.

Any suggestions?

Gil

Hello guys,

my brother wants to buy a long range varmint caliber. He wants something of smaller than a 243 caliber or a 243, but what do you guys recommend?

I do reload. He doesnt, but I can reload for him.

Any suggestions?

Gil

I shoot a heavy barreled 22-250; a heavy barreled 243 and have a heavy barreled 260 with a medium heavy barreled 25-06.

If ALL he wishes for is a varmint rifle....pick any from a 220 Swift on down.

I don't varmint hunt much, but I love going coyote hunting on occasion, when it's cool outside and deer season is over. I usually carry my .257 Wby Mag with me, since it will reach on out there.

Most of the time my varmint hunts are rabbits, squirrels, armadillos, possums, coons....And are within 150 yards, so I take the little Marlin 917 VSS .17 HMR. Small critters, close range, small caliber (my thought process).

In order of what I would choose, if I were looking to build a nice LR varmint rifle. Barrel life would not be an issue, since LR overbore varmint calibers are movin pretty quick, they're gonna burn out a barrel fast.

.257 STW
.257 Wby Mag
.25-06 AI
.25-06
6mm STW
6mm-284
.243 AI
.22-250

There are lots of other good calibers available, these are just the main ones I would choose.

What state?

I hunt woodchucks in NJ with a 223. Others here also use the 243 and 22-250. Most of the old timers (real good shots) use the 243. The 223 goes out to 200 yards (for me). We all hand-load.

If I had longer range shots with good background (stuff that stops bullets) I would go with the 6BR. My next rifle will most likely be a 6BR for targets and some woodchucks.

The 243 and 6BR are both 6mm bullets. The 6BR is much easier on barrels. Take a look at the Savages. Still haven't made up my mind what I will buy.

If you can find an 8 twist .243 you are golden. But in factory guns, I'm not aware of one (I've looked). The best I can find is a 9.25 which depending on your altitude should shoot up to 100gr flat bases and possibly 105-107gr BTs. 90's on down for sure and way out there.. past 1000yds.

The SA 6.5's (.260, 6.5 Creed, 6.5x47) can sling them too and most of these have good factory twists (8) to shoot anything from 107s to 142s. Little more kick but more downrange energy. These will outshoot the .243 at max distance.

I'd keep it simple as there are many components for these available (usually when there isn't a complete depletion of everything).

If you don't reload, .243 or 6.5 creed.. if you do, any.

Good luck.

gilmillan1, when does your long range ends and what type of varmint do you have in mind? In what conditions you do your shooting and do you care if them varmints vaporized or you saving them pelts?

Yea, that is why I asked what state you live in. If I were out west I would look at a 25-06 even though he asks for 243 or smaller.

Consider 204 Ruger if your varmints no larger then coyote and no farther then 500 yards ;-)

Sorry guys I had not had a chance to respond. We plan on using this rifle for coyote size game to smaller game. We have senderos of maybe 600 to 700 yards. I do reload. Can you tell me a bit more of the 22 243. That sounds interesting. Budget is about 2000 for rifle.

I'm a big fan of the 6-284. I love mine and I'm of the opinion the 6-284 can do anything a fast .22cal can do but better. If you're looking for and off the shelf gun that you can buy factory ammo for, 243win is probably going to be your best bet and if your heart is set on a .22cal something or other, find a fast twist 22-250. I believe Savage is about the only company that makes a fast twist 22-250 and even though I think their actions are ugly as hell, I don't believe I've ever seen one that didn't shoot very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.