Neck Turning

You can't go wrong with either I have both can't say I like one better than the other I also have one made by stiller that I like a lot but don't think they are available anymore good luck

I use the Forster "Original" lathe type trimmer with their neck turning attachments, and I have a Starrett ball micrometer to monitor my turning thickness. It works very well but this setup takes a while to adjust to perfect thickness that you want - so I keep mine dedicated to this purpose for cartridge that I use.
if you intend to turn multiple cartridges, I either recommend multiple dedicated setups like this, or get a more expensive turner setup like K&M or "21st Century".
But it's essential to have a good ball micrometer to measure turning thickness in any case.
Good luck to you!

I would recommend the 21st Shooting lathe. It is fast (once its set up) and very consistent. You absolutely need to have a ball mic!!!
Just looked it up. works exactly like the Forster but being powered would be much less work and faster. I have always liked the lathe setup. Keeps everything straight and square. Nice tool.

I just purchase a 21st century shooting neck cutting system. I have used other neck cutting system in the pass and started in about 2000. From what I have read here on the blog's and others, that you should setup and use one system for each caliber if you are going to turn necks. Yes, I know that you can adjust your cutter each time, but you probable won't get it back to what you did on the next time. Now I load for several different calibers, so I got cutting heads for each caliber and angles that way you don't have to change it every time. Now you don't want to cut your necks to thinner that .013 thousands. The rest it all depends on how deep your pockets are too. Yes by all means true your necks up. It will help.

I just purchase a 21st century shooting neck cutting system. I have used other neck cutting system in the pass and started in about 2000. From what I have read here on the blog's and others, that you should setup and use one system for each caliber if you are going to turn necks. Yes, I know that you can adjust your cutter each time, but you probable won't get it back to what you did on the next time. Now I load for several different calibers, so I got cutting heads for each caliber and angles that way you don't have to change it every time. Now you don't want to cut your necks to thinner that .013 thousands. The rest it all depends on how deep your pockets are too. Yes by all means true your necks up. It will help.
Here is how you can get by with one. When you get a new barrel or rifle also get enough brass to last the life of the barrel. Prep all of it at the very start. Then it will always all be the same for the life of the barrel. Then you won't have to worry about set, reset for the same gun. When you get new, reset the cutter. That;'s what I have been doing since the last shortage in '08. let primers get me this time though LOL

I tried the Forster turning attachment on my brass trimmer, but it had more play and more moving parts than I liked. After a little research, I changed to a PMA system and couldn't be happier. And yes, a ball mic is a must have.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.