Neck Turning

I believe PMA makes or used to make the tools Sinclair sells. They are excellent.
As mentioned earlier the cutters do NOT match your shoulders, and it would actually be bad if they did.
You only need a cutter angle greater than your shoulder angles, and you only touch the neck-shoulder junction.
Like this:
JustRight.jpg

This is a 40deg cutter touching a ~30deg shoulder.
If the shoulder was actually 30deg, and the cutter was 30deg, you would hit the entire shoulder with even the slightest touch.
That's not to suggest that you need 40deg for 30deg, you don't -because your 30deg shoulders are less than 30degs with new cases.
And you should always turn cases, if you're going to, when new (for several reasons).

I believe PMA makes or used to make the tools Sinclair sells. They are excellent.
As mentioned earlier the cutters do NOT match your shoulders, and it would actually be bad if they did.
You only need a cutter angle greater than your shoulder angles, and you only touch the neck-shoulder junction.
Like this:
View attachment 261728
This is a 40deg cutter touching a ~30deg shoulder.
If the shoulder was actually 30deg, and the cutter was 30deg, you would hit the entire shoulder with even the slightest touch.
That's not to suggest that you need 40deg for 30deg, you don't -because your 30deg shoulders are less than 30degs with new cases.
And you should always turn cases, if you're going to, when new (for several reasons).
This is true, I didn't have time to look up and confirm exactly what K and M does, so here it is.......K and M takes the degree shoulder and adds 3 degrees to it so it's NOT the same degree as a shoulder, 33* for 30* brass, 43* for 40* brass and so forth. Sorry for the error.

Well I guess I should have clarified the
"Match" your shoulder angle there certainly not 40 for 40 or 35 for 35 and if you would have looked at K@ M site anybody would have seen that.

Here is how you can get by with one. When you get a new barrel or rifle also get enough brass to last the life of the barrel. Prep all of it at the very start. Then it will always all be the same for the life of the barrel. Then you won't have to worry about set, reset for the same gun. When you get new, reset the cutter. That;'s what I have been doing since the last shortage in '08. let primers get me this time though LOL
Now with updated brass like from Peterson or Lapua is kind of changing the game. So somebody just getting in is going to have a hell-of-time getting enough brass to last at one time presently. With brass being about $1.00 each that a lot to invest for some people. I load for 14 different rifles presently with some belonging to other people. Just how long those barrels are going last, Who knows?

Well I guess I should have clarified the
"Match" your shoulder angle there certainly not 40 for 40 or 35 for 35 and if you would have looked at K@ M site anybody would have seen that.
For some ppl I guess there's a need to, that's why I commented what K and M actually does.......I knew what you meant and you knew what I meant but others obviously didn't.

Now with updated brass like from Peterson or Lapua is kind of changing the game. So somebody just getting in is going to have a hell-of-time getting enough brass to last at one time presently. With brass being about $1.00 each that a lot to invest for some people. I load for 14 different rifles presently with some belonging to other people. Just how long those barrels are going last, Who knows?
I only turn long range magnums. 150 is enough for a 28 nosler. 200 for my RUM, etc

All I was pointing out is that a cutter angle match is not so much critical as needing to be higher angle than shoulders.
So for example, if turning 243win necks with it's 20deg shoulder design, you can use a 30deg cutter, but a 17deg cutter might dig in.
You could use a 20deg cutter here on new brass, as the shoulders have not fire formed to all the way to 20 yet.

Last edited:
I use the Hornady neck turning machine I like that it's set up like a mini lathe, I've had very good results although this is the only brand I've tried so I cannot speak for the others

Another for necessity of ball mic and stand. I have had good results with dedicated Forster attachment, which is consistent and repeatable. Re: Glen Zediker, a meticulous reloader and shooter who shared his expansive knowledge and experience with handloading and precision AR platforms through books and many articles sadly died last October 1. He will be greatly missed by many, including me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts