Neck Turning

anyone that has used a drill with a handheld that knows that wobbling action that happens will understand where im going with this ...

ive wondered if the solid lathe type turners like the ydanroh and forster were ovalling a cut ? thinking if it where held unwantingly straight is it actually cutting an even neck wall while being forced out of wobble or is it cutting thinner but still not even .. pilot fit probably very much a factor

cutting while letting the case body wobble, then firing that out seems a better approach in my mind ..

then the method of " brass pressed onto a lathe chucked expander mandrel " rotating as one , during the cut is/would probably give the most accurate end result in neck wall thickness

Guys, thinking of getting into neck turning. Any advice on brands etc. K&M look good, but I know little about setup. Any help
would be good.
I have the Hornady neck trimmer that works really good.
with that said I've found that if u buy really good brass I'm thinking neck turning is over rated unless you are trying to shoot a really long way and even then I'm not sure it's worth the time and money.
just my 2 cents.

I have the Hornady neck trimmer that works really good.
with that said I've found that if u buy really good brass I'm thinking neck turning is over rated unless you are trying to shoot a really long way and even then I'm not sure it's worth the time and money.
just my 2 cents.
Depends upon how much neck clearance you have in your chamber.
Also like the "floating" action of the turner.

Just barely hold the cutter body between a couple fingers. Let it go with the case.
Take breaks to let it cool off every few cases. Use good lube for sure, and well fitting/matched expansion system.
Another reason to turn NEW cases is because you can usually get the best mandrel fit with them.
And it's an opportunity to mitigate donut forming with firing.

I use a K&M and found the output very consistent. It is the only one I have experience with but I am satisfied. I just bought two more anvils (?) because I'm loading two new calibers. I bought them direct from K&M and found them easy to do business with and ship fast.

Ok Guys, I really don't understand the use of a mandrel in sizing necks, I see an expander mandrel from 21 Century, why do you
need to expand your neck, maybe someone can go through the process for me. HELP !!!

Ok Guys, I really don't understand the use of a mandrel in sizing necks, I see an expander mandrel from 21 Century, why do you
need to expand your neck, maybe someone can go through the process for me. HELP !!!
Here are a few links from this site to help explain:

Very simple. You remove the expander in your sizing die and expand in a separate operation, like pistol cases more or less. Advantages are full control of neck tension and less bullet runout.

Very simple. You remove the expander in your sizing die and expand in a separate operation, like pistol cases more or less. Advantages are full control of neck tension and less bullet runout.
Also depending on how your process is.....but you also expand for the perfect size for neck turning, you don't want it too tight or you will guald the id othe brass necks or too loose and it'll be a sloppy neck turn.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.