neck turning tool ?

Jud,
Good explanation. Neck turning is pretty straight forward. My suggestion is to use junk brass to set up your cutter. I, at least, usually manage to mis-cut 1 or 2 pcs while I'm setting up. I use the Sinclair turner with their neck turning mandrels for trimming the outside of the case. I turn both standard and 40° shoulder cases. They offer cutters specifically for both. Don't have access to a lathe
That must be sweet!

I use the K&M set as well but honestly, I seldom use them and doubt that I can ever justify their cost. Most all of my rifles with the exception one, are used for hunting where accuracy is important, but not as critical as it is with a benchrest rifle used for competition. I only punch paper now with that rifle and neck turning does seem to marginally improve group size. A better shooter might find it gives more than marginal improvement.

Your OP asks what tool? IMO I prefer PMA. Used them all and over the many years have 4 set up. One for each of my specific rifles. PITA to duplicate an exact setting if you change them so I just set them and never touch it. All my opinion, good luck. Cakes

I use the K&M set as well but honestly, I seldom use them and doubt that I can ever justify their cost. Most all of my rifles with the exception one, are used for hunting where accuracy is important, but not as critical as it is with a benchrest rifle used for competition. I only punch paper now with that rifle and neck turning does seem to marginally improve group size. A better shooter might find it gives more than marginal improvement.
Forster, and only if you need to!

I used the RCBS one for a few years and I was happy with how it worked but arthritic hands suffered. When Hornady came out with theirs I jumped on a sale price. Really enjoy using it. Powered by my drill it is an easy to use tool that does the same job. Sold my RCBS. I don't do a lot of neck turning but the Hornady makes it a more pleasant task when I do.

I have the Forster original case trimmer with neck turning attachment, and I also have a PMA model B.

I have a great deal of success (accurate and consistent) using a feeler gage to set the cutter to my desired thickness.

It's kind of a buy once, cry once kind of thing. I had a cheap RCBS hand held but it wasn't solid and cut wonky, so I scrapped it and INVESTED in a better system.

I'm in the market for a neck turning tool, Hornaday or RCBS is what I'm considering Are they ok, what works best for you. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hornaday looks good, but I don't know how good it is. Please help me make a good choice.

This going to get loud. I use a pin gauge to measure the neck diameter of the chamber. I use a bushing neck sizing die to give .002 under that size to the case. I set the neck tension with a Wilson inside neck reamer to the neck tension that produces the best group at 300 meters. Worked well for me. I figured this out from reading "Rifle Accuracy Facts" by Harold Vaughn. It usually produces concentricity under .001.

I started with one of the better Sinclairs but was never particularly happy with my results. Then, on my first 6x47L build, I made a mess out of my brass when necking down from 6.5x47L. I moved to the 21st Century to straighten out what I could from that debacle, and I am glad I did. The claims of 0.0002" consistency can be achieved with just a little practice.

I have the Forster original case trimmer with neck turning attachment, and I also have a PMA model B.

I have a great deal of success (accurate and consistent) using a feeler gage to set the cutter to my desired thickness.

It's kind of a buy once, cry once kind of thing. I had a cheap RCBS hand held but it wasn't solid and cut wonky, so I scrapped it and INVESTED in a better system.
What is PMA?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.