N570 Powder Shortage?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Big10hunter, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Big10hunter

Big10hunter Member

New to reloading, but looking for N570. Why is it out everywhere?

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I think when it hit the market, they were not ready for the demand for it. It has become a very good powder for the realy big over bore cartridges and with demand comes shortages.

It is also very expensive. (About double the cost of other powders)

J E CUSTOM

3. dixiemagnum80

dixiemagnum80 Well-Known Member

I’d have to go look again to see if it’s still there but there’s been 5lbs sitting on the shelf at one of our local stores for quite some time. Where are you located?

4. dgarrett

dgarrett Well-Known Member

Try Reloader 33.... almost same performance and way way way easier to find.... If you are set on N570 get on waiting list at 2-3 of the bigger powder suppliers and wait for their call when it finally comes in.... Buy enough so you don't have to do load work up on a different powder when you casn't find it again

5. odoylerules

odoylerules Well-Known Member

vihtavuori said in an email to me a month ago they “hope” to have supplies hitting the US by late fall/winter.
    I bought RE-33 for my 338 lapua improved

6. Big10hunter

Big10hunter Member

Again, I am new, so be gentle...LOL. How do you mitigate the "dirtyness" and temp sensitivity of RL33? Is RL33 as temp sensitive as they say it is? Im load developing in the summer and will be hunting in Nov/Dec.

7. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

What cartridge are you wanting it for?

8. odoylerules

odoylerules Well-Known Member

Some say they don’t have the temp instability that others have reported. My smith said that the temp sensitive effects of 33 won’t show up as bad in the larger capacity cartridges. I have also heard many say those temp changes everyone talks about don’t appear until you’re in hot (above 80deg) conditions. I’m hoping I won’t hunt in weather like that. I’ll also load for the center of a node which will hopefully help as well.
    I feel like I don’t have much choice but to use 33 until N-570 is available again.

9. Ed AO

Ed AO Well-Known Member

Talked to a place where i was able to get it before and they told me that Hodgdon used to bring it in through the US but dropped it and they dont know who is now or if anybody is.

10. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

My experiences with heat sensitivity in powders has been that the range of velocity changes normally don't show up at colder temperatures like they do at warmer temperatures.

If you do load development during the summer, they will be fine during cold weather but velocities will fall off and your zeros will probably change. But if you work up loads during the winter and try to use them in hot weather, they could be dangerously hot (High pressures).

I have a 7/08 that has this problem using the most accurate load.
    The H 414 powder is very heat sensitive and the load produces a velocity of 3010 ft/sec during the winter (25 o to 50 o) but during the summer when temps can exceed 100 o. The velocity reaches 3155, And starts over pressuring the brass leaving ejector marks.

I try not to use heat sensitive powder, but sometimes accuracy dictates that I do, so I just don't use them during these hot months. to be safe or adjust the powder charge to compensate for the heat.

I have used lots of RE 33 and found it, like many others to be heat sensitive in most of my big magnums once the outside temp reaches 90+ degrees. Also In cold weather, Primers play a larger role than the heat sensitivity of powders.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

11. Big10hunter

Big10hunter Member

28 Nosler

12. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

What Bullet?

13. Big10hunter

Big10hunter Member

195 Berger

14. bigbulls