My New Set-up

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Inukshuk, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Inukshuk

Inukshuk Well-Known Member

Just got my new Tikka T3 .223 Stainless with camo stock. Had the stock filled with foam and pillars added.
    Got it friday, and went out at 6:30 pm to break in the barrel etc. and zero it at 100 yrds just before dark. Next day I went out again to do a proper zero at 400 yrds and did I believe nice groups at that distance. WOW! couldn't be happier. Today went out again just to make sure I wasn't dreaming and yep same result. Great! I'm using the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm with side parallax and mildot reticle. I know it doesn't have much elevation and that's why I wanted to zero it at 400 yrds this way I can hold-over-under comfortably. Later I'll try to zero at 500yrds to see if I can still use all my mils both ways. Right now I'm using the American Eagle 55 gr.

[​IMG]

Yesteray at 400 yrds
    [​IMG]

Today at 400 yrds
    [​IMG]

2. 52449

52449 Well-Known Member

NICE! I am not very familiar with the Tikka but when I've picked them up they seem like a solid piece of equipment. The bolt cycles smooth and the triggers haven't felt too bad either. It look like yours proves first impressions do prove true! What did you think about the Tikka rings and the receiver mount?

3. mikebob

mikebob Well-Known Member

I shoot that scope on my 22-243 with a 20moa base and i can reach 1200 yards with a 100 yard zero. Nice looking rig I like the stock.

4. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Looks Nice! Did you break it in with Gun Juice?

5. Inukshuk

The receiver mount is super. I couldn't ask for better. But as you may notice I had an EGW "piccatinni style" rail put on with heavy duty TSP rings.

Slopeshunter
    Absolutely broke it in with Gun Juice.

mikebob
    1200 yrds with a 100yrd zero. Cool. What ammo are you using. And do you dial in or holdover?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  6. Inukshuk

The receiver mount is super. I couldn't ask for better. But as you may notice I had a piccatinni rail put on with heavy duty TSP rings.

Slopeshunter
    Absolutely broke it in with Gun Juice.

mikebob
    1200 yrds with a 100yrd zero. Cool. What ammo are you using. And do you dial in or holdover?

7. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

Nice rifle Inukshuk. Is the stock factory or aftermarket. I've got the same rifle , but it has the factory black stock. Is that your varmint plinker?

8. FRANK21

FRANK21 Well-Known Member

Nice rifle!

9. Inukshuk

Stock is factory
    Model Tikka T3 Camo Stainless JRTV112
    Tikka T3
    I'll be using it to hone my precision since ammo is cheap, hunt for geese on the ground, fox rabbit, seal, anything not big. But some people hunt caribou with these kind of calibers. I've got my 06 for that though. I may try it one day with a cartridge like the :
    Federal "PREMIUM GOLD MEDAL" 77 GR Sierra MatchKing BTHP
    or
    Hornady 75 GR BTHP/MATCH
    But not for now.

10. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

Where did you get that cartridge holder/pouch for your buttstock? I want one!

11. Inukshuk

Triad Tactical, Inc.

12. mikebob

mikebob Well-Known Member

I dial in hunting, I hold over when playing around on targets. I always use the mils for wind though, I really like my scope. I shoot 90gr bergers with retumbo powder, lapua brass, fed 210 match primers.
    [​IMG]