New rifle set up

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm looking at couple different rifles in 7mm rem mag or 280 ai or and I have no experience with the caliber or any of these rifles so this will all be new to me. I'm looking at the bergara ridge,Christian arms mess and savage 110 long range hunter and savage 110 high country.and possible browning x bolt hells canyon speed. im looking to spend no more than 1500 on the rifle with out optics.ive only owned two savage rifle and still have one but would like some feed back on the rifles listed above.ive look at all of these and I just cant make my mind up
Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those rifles. I looked at them before I decided to build my 280 AI. I have multiple Savages and they are all shooters. The High Country model gives you a lot for your money. I own a Christensen in 338 Lapua. Absolute tack driver. Pick this one if you want lightweight and carbon fiber barrel. I've read very good things about the Begara and wouldn't hesitate buying one.
Do you reload? If not, choose the 7 Rem Mag just for all the available factory ammo options.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those rifles. I looked at them before I decided to build my 280 AI. I have multiple Savages and they are all shooters. The High Country model gives you a lot for your money. I own a Christensen in 338 Lapua. Absolute tack driver. Pick this one if you want lightweight and carbon fiber barrel. I've read very good things about the Begara and wouldn't hesitate buying one.
Do you reload? If not, choose the 7 Rem Mag just for all the available factory ammo options.
I understand that I'm tore in between them.i do know only savage chambers the 280 ai in my choice I have been looking at the browning x bolt as well but have to do more research on it.and I just started reloading about a month or two ago and all I own is 2 308s and a ar as of right now so I dont know much about belted caliber yet.i do wont to shoot a 150 grain and up bullets out of either one.i do know the savage model 11p that I have is a real nice rifle and is a tac driver but it is a 308.i like the savages but dont know about there newer stocks.out of all the other choices I've listed I do like the factory christenson arms factory stock the best

The 280 AI is easy to reload. It gets very close to 7 Rem Mag performance with less powder (and recoil). 280 AI brass will last a long time (reloading wise). But, don't worry about the 7 Mag belt, it's no big deal.
The CA with burnt bronze is a pretty rifle. I almost bought that rifle, but it wasn't in stock.
If you go with the 280, PM me and I'll give you reloading suggestions. Plus, there's a few threads on it, too. Lots of helpful people on this website.

Good luck
Doug

The 280 AI is easy to reload. It gets very close to 7 Rem Mag performance with less powder (and recoil). 280 AI brass will last a long time (reloading wise). But, don't worry about the 7 Mag belt, it's no big deal.
The CA with burnt bronze is a pretty rifle. I almost bought that rifle, but it wasn't in stock.
If you go with the 280, PM me and I'll give you reloading suggestions. Plus, there's a few threads on it, too. Lots of helpful people on this website.

Good luck
Doug
Thanks for your input.im still shopping around just need to make my mind up .I'm going to go check out some rifles hopefully this week end.and the Mesa I'm looking at is the green color stock an burnt bronze cerakote

Bergara does offer 280AI as factory chambering in some of their rifles but I believe you have to step up to their premier line to get it.

I have the Bergara ridge in 30-06. Great rifle, nice feel to it. Only thing took a bit to clean before shooting. Did barrel break in as described here in LRH. Three shots at 100 yd.

Attachments

• 9B32C0D1-02BE-4ED9-9362-B0875673C81F.jpeg
    9B32C0D1-02BE-4ED9-9362-B0875673C81F.jpeg
    940.1 KB · Views: 190
I absolutely love my Hell's Canyon. But I would also vouch for the Mesa. I haven't owned one but I have shot one multiple times and I really liked it. Can't go wrong with either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.