New rifle set up

Hello all I'm looking at couple different rifles in 7mm rem mag or 280 ai or and I have no experience with the caliber or any of these rifles so this will all be new to me. I'm looking at the bergara ridge,Christian arms mess and savage 110 long range hunter and savage 110 high country.and possible browning x bolt hells canyon speed. im looking to spend no more than 1500 on the rifle with out optics.ive only owned two savage rifle and still have one but would like some feed back on the rifles listed above.ive look at all of these and I just cant make my mind up
Thanks
I have never had a problem with a savage rifle I've been shooting them most of my life I have them from 22 to 50 all the way to 338 Lappula the 338 Lappula shoots excellent and I paid about $1600 for it I have a 22 to 50 model 11 that shoots excellent quarter inch groups at 200 yards so the best gun for the books is McCluskey
Hello all I'm looking at couple different rifles in 7mm rem mag or 280 ai or and I have no experience with the caliber or any of these rifles so this will all be new to me. I'm looking at the bergara ridge,Christian arms mess and savage 110 long range hunter and savage 110 high country.and possible browning x bolt hells canyon speed. im looking to spend no more than 1500 on the rifle with out optics.ive only owned two savage rifle and still have one but would like some feed back on the rifles listed above.ive look at all of these and I just cant make my mind up
Thanks
You're looking in the Right Pl., Savage has the best rifle for the money in my opinion

I am a 280 remington fan for 50 years the 280 AI is great but not = to the rmm mag. out here in east Montana the boys shoot the 7mm mag. for the mule deer - elk and anything in our great state. yes the belt mag will shoot true.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 183
I have a CA Mesa long range in 7 mag and absolutely love it! 1/2 MOA all day long with 180 Bergers and good out to 1000. It's at the top of your price range but worth it IMO. Don't own any of the others listed but sure they'll do the job too. Good luck!

Another thing to consider is aftermarket parts like triggers and stocks. The Christensen and Bergara are Rem 700 clones. And the market is saturated with goodies for the 700. Something I wish I would have considered before I rebarreled my Savage 116. And the belt on the 7mm should be of no concern. I just bump the shoulder back .002" on mine and let er rip. The 280 can almost achieve 7mm velocity when it's ran hard. The 7mm will reach 280 velocities when loaded mild

I understand that I'm tore in between them.i do know only savage chambers the 280 ai in my choice I have been looking at the browning x bolt as well but have to do more research on it.and I just started reloading about a month or two ago and all I own is 2 308s and a ar as of right now so I dont know much about belted caliber yet.i do wont to shoot a 150 grain and up bullets out of either one.i do know the savage model 11p that I have is a real nice rifle and is a tac driver but it is a 308.i like the savages but dont know about there newer stocks.out of all the other choices I've listed I do like the factory christenson arms factory stock the best

Bergara makes 280AI in their Premier Series of rifles. I'm actually looking at buying one of their 280 AI premier barreled actions off of Brownells. I have a stock it will fit right into.

Samuel, it would depend on if you reload and if you need to shoot lead free ammunition. If you want something different and less recoil go with the 280 Ackley. If you don't reload and need to shoot lead free go with the 7mm mag. I live in Ca and I have to shoot lead free ammunition and only Nosler makes factor lead free ammunition in 280 Ackley. I just bought 2 280 Ackley. One is a Christensen Ridgeline in 280 Ackley and the other is a Begera premier 280 Ackley mountain rifle. They both shoot well. The Bergera action feels better but the Christensen looks cooler. Both have the same trigger. The Bergera is no longer carrying this rife since sales were so bad, this is what they told me when I called them about the mountain rifle in 280 Ackley. I have no experience with the 7mm mag so I can't tell you anything about that round. My other hunting rifle is a 300 Winchester Mag. Long story short about what caliber is better depending on ammunition if you ask me. The 7 mag is everywhere and the 280 Ackley is a boutique round.
Good luck with your rifle.
Jason

Samuel, it would depend on if you reload and if you need to shoot lead free ammunition. If you want something different and less recoil go with the 280 Ackley. If you don't reload and need to shoot lead free go with the 7mm mag. I live in Ca and I have to shoot lead free ammunition and only Nosler makes factor lead free ammunition in 280 Ackley. I just bought 2 280 Ackley. One is a Christensen Ridgeline in 280 Ackley and the other is a Begera premier 280 Ackley mountain rifle. They both shoot well. The Bergera action feels better but the Christensen looks cooler. Both have the same trigger. The Bergera is no longer carrying this rife since sales were so bad, this is what they told me when I called them about the mountain rifle in 280 Ackley. I have no experience with the 7mm mag so I can't tell you anything about that round. My other hunting rifle is a 300 Winchester Mag. Long story short about what caliber is better depending on ammunition if you ask me. The 7 mag is everywhere and the 280 Ackley is a boutique round.
Good luck with your rifle.
Jason
Thanks for your input.i just started reloading with in past 2 months I've only reloaded for my 308 so far.and as far as lead free I live in nc have been looking at reloading some lead free bullets to shoot this season.and I to have looked at a 300 win mag and 300 wsm also but haven't looked at them as much as the 280 ai or the 7mm mag

Both cartridges are a great option. As many mentioned the 7mm Rem Mag has lots of options as far as factory ammo and brass for reloading.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to shoot/hunt long range the 7mm Rem Mag will reach a little further.

If recoil is an issue I will say this, I've shot lots of 30-06, 270, 280 and 7mm Rem Mag, they all kick about the same.

Hope this helps and stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.