AR30 Set up?

I have a AR30 , Cal. 338 LM
It has factory 26 inch barrel and muzzle break
15-MINUTE scope RAIL
Nightforce 8-32 scope
Badger Heavy duty Medium Rings
What are some good loads for this gun for 1K plus hunting?
Also will the scope reach 1500 meters with 15MOA Rail?
I think the Scope is 1/8th MOA clicks?

I have good luck with 91 grs of 4831( Work up to this one) with the 250 gr MK...I have not been able to get much out of the 300 gr MK as it is limited by the 26" barrel...I have a Mark V with a 33" tube and do much better with the 300 MK and H870....Charlie

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lapua brass or Norma?

Yes, 1500 with no problem.

Should be 1/4" clicks.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lapua brass or Norma?

Yes, 1500 with no problem.

Should be 1/4" clicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

James -- the BR model has 1/8th min and the nxs has 1/4 -- you must have the BR model

if so, they are pretty limited on adjustment

the NXS has 65MOA total and the BR has only 50.

1500M = 1640yds

Means the only way you can CLICK to 1500m is if your windage is perfectly centered, and you have ALL your elevation available, as it will take all of that 50MOA (plus maybe some holdover) to get there -- according to JBM

20moa base will give you a better chance at exploiting all your clicks.

CHeers,
JB

p.s. -- vids show up yet?

He can get there easier useing the dots and dashes of the NP-1RR reticle in the scope.Just gota figure it out as the NP-1 are not equaly distributed like the NP-2.Kinda like the NP-2 or MP-8(IOR)myself because it is easier to zero @ 100(useing the top tic) and click and or hold over to get that far.
Was about to send that scope back to have the reticle changed when the 35mmIOR trade took place.
Wish I could help with the 338LM but that round is still in the dream stage for me.Just pickt up a 308 Baer so we's gettin closer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
CJ

If it truly is a BR model, than it is 1/8 moa therefore you only have 50 total minutes of travel and if you want your scope optically centered, you will only have 25 or so. Even if you put a 20 minute rail on instead of your 15 that you mentioned, you will not have enough adjustment.

Heres why:

1500 meters equals 164<font color="red">1</font> yards, not 1640 like earlier mentioned (not that one yard is going to make a diff).

A good load of RL22 at 89 grains will launch a 250 MK at about 3000 fps. Zeroed at 100 yards, this combo needs 52.4 mimutes of elevation for a 1500 meter zero at my elevation of 5000 feet above sea level. A 20 minute insert would not do it because you would only have 25 in your scope, and 20 in a base (and that is if your receiver is perfectly flat and you don't lose some in slop of the workmanship) and you need 52.

A 300 MK launched at 2750 by a good charge of 91 grains of RL25 needs 54 minutes which is still too many. 1500 meters is a LOOONG WAAAY! Even 50 bmg's need some serious cranking up to get there.

What you can do is get a Ken Farrell base with 20 minutes built into it, then get Burris Posi-align rings and put in 10 or 20 more minutes in the inserts and you will be there. Or you can swap that BR model for an NXS and get a 20 rail and get there too.
When I responded earlier, I guessed that you were using an NXS model with more internal adjustment.

hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have looked through the np-2 reticle at 1500 yards (not 1500 meters) and it was very difficult to use that way at that far of a distance. For that long of sport, it becomes for the most part a game of clicking in correction to the yard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
1500 meters equals 1641 yards, not 1640 like earlier mentioned (not that one yard is going to make a diff).

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!

Actually it is 1640.42yds if you want to get picky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clicking to be able to use the center of the scope is always better if you can do it

Had my 308 out to a mile the other week, and actually made several close hits near my 14" gong

had 70MOA clicked up on my 22x NXS (maxed out with a 20moa base)

started by holding on the bottom hash and hit way short (that was 90moa total)

then dialed to 11x, so it was 110MOA to bottom hash, still low

had to turn it to 8x and hold bottom hash!!! and 1 hash left!

I actually didnt even have trouble seeing my own hits in 6-8" high alfalfa either -- just a little head sized POOF of dust about 5 secs later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

would have been much easier on follow ups had i been holding center /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Either way you do, holdovers will get you there if need be.

O, and the burris sig rings are measured in 0.001's offset, not MOA. --&gt; BURRIS LINK

JB

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it is 1640.42yds if you want to get picky

[/ QUOTE ]

How many ballistic programs will let you enter in yards in 1/2 yard increments? I have 8 ballistic programs and none of them will let you do this so you MUST round up. 1500x1.094=1641 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and the burris sig rings are measured in 0.001's offset, not MOA

[/ QUOTE ]

Excerpt taken from Burris intruction manual that accompanied my last set of rings (I own 3 sets by the way):

Signature ring ***-align Offset Insert Kit includes:
One .005" offset insert marked -5 and +5 (corrects 5" @ 100 yards)

One .010" offset insert marked -10 and +10 (corrects 10" @ 100 yards)

One .020" offset insert marked -20 and +20 (corrects 20" @ 100 yards)

TO USE:
Determine the amount of correction needed and select the proper ***-Align Offset INsert combination (boththe front ring and rear ring can utilize offset inserts) that most closely yields that amount of correction. With various combinations of offset and concentric inserts utilized in both the front and rear rings, you can "chase" your point of impact 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 <font color="red">INCHES. </font>
:close quote:

So, if you need to shift your poi 20 minutes to help calculate for needed trajectory adjustment, you can count on putting in a 20 insert and getting the proper correction. WHile not being exactly 1 moa, it is close enough to 1" that you will never miss the decimals that are attached to the exact number. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To get 0.020 to equal 20" at 100yds, how far apart must the rings be?

I used a different conv. factor:
(1500M x 39.37in/M)/36in/Yd

JB

Yes it is a BR modle, I do have a horus vision I could put on it, so far I have only found a 15 MOAA base for the AR 30...I suppose I can trade off scopes or sell this one and get a Xotic Optics. I really want to use the 338LM for its true potentail 1K does not cut it.
guns.jpg

J,

might have trouble selling the painted scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

my suggestion would be the 5-22nxs, and xotic 2nd

USO would probably make a base for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

see how much DOWN you have, to see what you can add to the base and still get 100yd zero.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.