My trusty Remington 700 30-06 BDL, new set up?

Wood181

I Found this web site by searching for info on bettering my HUNTING range for white tail. Not into competition shooting at all.

Basically I want to put a new scope on my rifle, and as long as I am at it maybe find a decent factory load that performs well out to 600 yds. I have not had many longer range shots, but I would like to get out to 350-400yds and shoot buckets for fun at longer ranges........600yds maybe?

I hunt white tail only with this rifle, mostly in the woods, but I do have a couple fields I sit over that are 300-400 yards across.

I don't have any reloading equipment but maybe someday I will.

Looking at a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS, any other thoughts on a decent scope and ammo?

Thanks!

That scope should do the trick. Could also look at the 4.5-14 for a little extra zoom if you want. As far as ammo goes, you are just going to have to find a hunting load that shoots well out of your gun. Price doesn't necessarily matter, accuracy out of your gun does. With that being said, I would do some research on high ballistic coefficient factory ammo (180+ grains will probably be best) and start shooting. You will want to try to get something 1 MOA or better to reach out to 600 yards. The other option, which I would highly recommend, is to start reloading. It is very easy to do once you get into it and it will definitely help you find the most accurate load for your rifle. Good luck!

that scope is fine for that.like cohunter14 said you want to be able to shoot at least MOA to shoot that range.play around with ammo until you find something your gun likes and it has a bullet that does what you want.if you want to hunt at that distance make sure it's a bullet recommended for hunting.also,f you can't seem to get any ammo to the accuracy you need I would suggest sending the rifle for a glass bed and trigger job.if there is anyway you can get started in hand loading I would recommend doing it because a lot of times that's where you can get your accuracy plus the added benefit of being able to shoot more cost effective enabling you to shoot more often and to me that's what is neededto get good.gun)

The 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 should work well for you but I'd recommend saving a little extra to get the 50mm Obj instead of the 40mm. That extra light gathering capacity can be very critical early, late, or on cloudy/gloomy days. I figure it adds 10-15 minutes of shooting light morning and evening.

I would use a leup 4.5-14x40 cds. make sure your trigger is adjusted, easy to do your self, ammo- what ever shoots the best group from your rifle at your distance. the 168 berger is loaded in factory ammo......... good for both hunting and target. 175 matchking is loaded in target ammo by fed. handloading will open others. the 30-06 is an excellent round, I shot almost 2500 rounds one year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.