My first custom rifle

I agree with Euler's advice. You will have problems learning to shoot at long range with a lightweight 30 cal magnum class gun. Shooting long range requires a certain set of skills, and shooting lightweight heavy recoiling guns at long range requires you to really be on your game.

Years ago I was at your point and was quite sure I wanted a TRG-42 (338 Lapua Mag). A wise individual convinced me to buy a 308 and get really good with it at least out to 600, then figure out my next step. So I bought a TRG22 and a couple other 308's and went to work. Fed Match 308 ammo was available for about $1 a round, plus when I wanted to I reloaded.

Lots of good lower recoil chamberings available. And understand that there is no "one and done" solution. Get the best tool to build your skills, and even figure out if you like this long range thing, then with that set of experiences under your belt, you'll know what your next step is.

I have a 300 PRC, a 300 Norma Mag improved, and a 33XC (Just part of the thread above). I use the 300 PRC for practice. My 300 NM-Improved for elk hunting, and the 33XC because I'm an idiot. The only con I've found with the 300 PRC I have is the chamber is set up for long bullets (a beauty of the 300 PRC normal reamer), but I have a 1:10 twist barrel. This setup is 100% optimized for 212 ELDX and 225 ELDM. I'm running 208 Berger hybrid targets. They run very well, but are not seated very far into the neck. So with the 300PRC be careful to make sure you get a twist rate and bullet that will meet what your goals are. I love 3000 fps, and most things I have running about that. I cannot go lighter than 208 gr but I'm at something like 2950 fps, so I'm right there. For the Norma mag, I think the real advantage is if you are looking for higher speeds, and that's about it. Both have been easy for load development, both feed very well. I have brakes on both and I cannot tell a difference in recoil. Both are rather light build (about 10-11 lbs fully rigged and loaded). So I would suggest looking at bullet weight and target velocity and base your decision on that.

Lotta good factory options for 300 PRC rifles you can buy and shoot with now. 300 Norma rifle is likely 6 to 12 months out.
Factory ammo available for 300 PRC. At twice the cost you may find a box of 215 300 Norma.

Hey all,

I'm looking at my first custom rifle and I'm torn between 300 PRC and 300 Norma.
I'd like something light enough that I can pack it around the mountains with enough knockdown power that it can take pretty much any North American big game.
This is long range hunting.com, so I'd like to be able to reach out.
My understanding is the 300 Norma outperforms the PRC but will burn a barrel out. Anything else I should be aware of? What would you use?
Also, any issues with a carbon fiber barrel out in the brush?
I'm new to the world of custom rifles and long range anything. So I'll take any advice I can get. Thank you in advance.
What is your current rifle setup and how long have you been hunting/shooting?
Long Range is no joke. The gear and equipment needed can't be overlooked. You cant get by without a weather meter, range finder, spotter, etc. You basically cant skimp out on any of it if you want to be successful. Including lots of consumables like powder, bullets and everything else needed to reload. I think a lot of people start out like you and buy gear over a few years, it's a huge commitment and expense to do it right. There are the guys who don't have all the gear, and maybe shoot 20 rounds a year at longer range, then they think they can take an animal at a grand. It just doesn't work haha.

Most folks I know ID a set of parameters when contemplating a build.

You've identified what you want to hunt (North American medium-large game), where you want to hunt (mountains) and how you want to hunt (long range).

That paints a good part of the picture needed to describe your rifle. To determine dimensions, weight, stock design you need a bit more.

Will you secure the rifle in shooting fixture and lay it like an artillery piece, or will you utilize it in the four traditional Olympic shooting positions as modified by field conditions at hand? Some combination of both perhaps?

Answering those questions will determine the basics that many overlook. Material(s), length, weight, balance point, length of pull, drop, cast and configuration. Fit and fittings to purpose are IMHO of greater importance than cartridge and bullet weight/design as many cartridges and bullets will ably do the same job.

Food for thought.

Best to pick a rifle chambering and weight combination with recoil that doesn't bother you AT ALL for shooting long distance.

I used to hunt with a 7 lb (rifle only) .300 Weatherby. That wasn't a rifle I could shoot well enough to tackle long distance shots, WAY too much recoil. So I bought an 11 lb (rifle only) .308 Winchester. I then moved to a 12 lb (rifle only) .264 Win Mag, with a muzzle brake, for hunting. That rifle is 16 lbs with scope, ammo, and bipod, which sounds really heavy, but I use a backpack-style sling (straps on both shoulders) which makes the rifle pretty easy to carry. And it's plenty of rifle for deer, even at longer distances.

Hey all,

I'm looking at my first custom rifle and I'm torn between 300 PRC and 300 Norma.
I'd like something light enough that I can pack it around the mountains with enough knockdown power that it can take pretty much any North American big game.
My understanding is the 300 Norma outperforms the PRC but will burn a barrel out. Anything else I should be aware of? What would you use?
I'm new to the world of custom rifles and long range anything. So I'll take any advice I can get. Thank you in advance.
1) How far do you want to reach out? ( Be realistic. There is quite a bit involved in "reaching out" for a humane kill.) A 30-06 with the correct load can still have 1250-1300 ft-lbs of energy at 600+ yds. Put a good quality expanding hunting bullet in to the lung - heart of your target and it will die rather quickly. A super dooper magnum, shot into a hind quarter makes for a long and painful day. For both the hunter and hunted!
2) Are you proficient at delivering a projectile to a 6" circle at 600yds? ( Consider the exterior ballsitics,,, wind & terrain, shooting angle, body position - stability,,,??)
3) You stated that you are "new" to anything long range. You might consider learning to walk before you run. A 30-06, 308 win, 7mm-08,,,,and others, are all effective hunting tools, used for the correct situation and chosen game. Long barrel life, manageable recoil, readily available ammunition,,, and the list goes on.

Good luck and good shooting.

Last edited:
Hey all,

300 PRC or a 300 win mag I use the 300 win mag up here for 30 years and have taken many animals large and small and most between 600 and 1200 yards

Hey all,

I have built many long range hunting rifles for Alaskans using the proof carbonfiber barrels, they are all I will use and every person loves them for a true custom just do it yourself bighorn action proof fiber barrel shoulder fit trigger tech and what ever stock you like along with scope you like and you can switch out the barrel at any point and change cals to what you want

Last edited:
1) How far do you want to reach out? ( Be realistic. There is quite a bit involved in "reaching out" for a humane kill.) A 30-06 with the correct load can still have 1250-1300 ft-lbs of energy at 600+ yds. Put a good quality expanding hunting bullet in to the lung - heart of your target and it will die rather quickly. A super dooper magnum, shot into a hind quarter makes for a long and painful day. For both the hunter and hunted!
2) Are you proficient at delivering a projectile to a 6" circle at 600yds? ( Consider the exterior ballsitics,,, wind & terrain, shooting angle, body position - stability,,,??)
3) You stated that you are "new" to anything long range. You might consider learning to walk before you run. A 30-06, 308 win, 7mm-08,,,,and others, are all effective hunting tools, used for the correct situation and chosen game. Long barrel life, manageable recoil, readily available ammunition,,, and the list goes on.

Good luck and good shooting.
This ^^^

I just built a load for my 06 with 200gn ELD-X and Superformance powder. I am theoretically getting 1500 ft/lbs out to 600 and 2660 FPS at the muzzle. I can humanely drop a Bison out to 200, a moose out to 600 and caribou out to 900 all while having manageable recoil in a ~12lb all-inclusive rifle set up. Now that I have my set up complete, I can focus on hitting targets out to those distances consistently. Then, and only then will I consider a magnum .30 cal cartridge.

To OP, you definitely have the right mindset, but remember you can change bolt faces and barrels once you're proficient and happy with your set up.

Thank you, that is very useful.

My main use would be hunting. I'd like something light enough I can pack around and versatile enough to be used for multiple animals.
For what it's worth, IMHO the 270 win is hard to beat for hunting smaller game and larger game like Elk. I hunted all over the US, Canada, Mountain west, New Zealand, Germany and Africa. My 270 has served me well for over 50 yrs.
As it was stated earlier pick one you can shoot, one that fits your needs and become proficient with that gun!!

Hey all,

300 wm tried and true also...brass and ammo everywhere.......it works