My first Custom long range Groundhog Hog rifle

Gary Wiant

I initially posted this thread a couple days ago before I found this forum so I figured I'll post this again here.

I'm in the process of having my first custom rifle built for varmint hunting ( mainly long range groundhog hunting ) I'm having it built by Dustin Swartfager from SO Custom Rifles in Knox, PA.

A little back ground. I bought my son a Remington 700 LS about 4 or 5 years ago in .243 it never really was very accurate and this was before I was reloading so it became a safe Queen, when I started reloading we started working up loads. It still didn't shoot well, so I took it to Dustin to have him look it over. He found that the barrel was pitted, he honed it out and said, I should consider having it rebarreled in the future, and recommended a 6 Dasher, I initially was thinking a 6 SLR but eventually went with his recommendation.

We have been waiting for a couple months for the barrel to show up but it is finally here, and Dustin is getting started on it.

20161129_214449_zps8h0pnhzk.jpg

This is the 700 LS that we are starting with.

The barrel is a Brux #3 contour with a 1-8 twist that will finish at 26" plus the break.

Here are a couple photos of the beginning of the machine work, hopefully I can describe the process.

39568_zpslzpnxses.jpeg

Here is the take off barrel and receiver that has been removed so it can be "squared up"

39684_zpswmizjbbn.jpeg

This photo with the dial indicators is setting up to recut the thread to the new centerline of the bolt raceway. They cut the lugs and square the receiver face in the same setup.

39709_zpsxontgz0r.jpeg

This photo is the setup to thread the bolt handle.

I'll update this as I receive photos from Dustin. I definitely recommend that if you need any work done or a custom rifle built contact SO Custom Rifles & Sportsmans Outfitters at 1-814-797-5253

Thanks for looking, I'm excited to get the rifle finished but a little bummed because right now I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and won't be cleared to shoot for a while.

39871_zpstwovwgrs.jpeg

Here is a photo of the bolt being fluted.

After some discussion with Dustin, I ordered Boyd's Pro varmint stock with adjustable comb, ( he said that my LS stock may be the nicest factory stock he has ever seen, so im going to eventually build another custom rifle and use the factory stock)

After a lot of going back & forth i decided onot getting a Forest Camo colored laminate then I had to decide on a cerakote color, I finally.landed on Satin Aluminum.

I'll be updating as we go along, I'm limited to the photos I receive fromy Dustin, he's a great Gun Smith & a better guy, but he'said super busy so I'll take what I can get as far as photos go. I actually had the barrel blank in my grubby fingers Saturday and forgot to take a photo of it.

Thanks

Cool build. I really like laminate stocks myself, and in fact I built a rifle off a Rem 700 LSS that turned out really nice. I have heard rumors that Boyd's makes the laminate stocks for Remington. I wouldn't doubt it either, since your factory stock and mine both look identical to the Boyd's Prarie Hunter. They're around $200 after you add a recoil pad and checkering. Good luck with your build and thanks for posting the pics.,

I received a couple new photos from Dustin ( my Gunsmith ) today of my Brux Custom Contour Varmint barrel.

Here it iseems right after it was fluted and before it was cut down.
40771_zpse0sftgux.jpeg

Here it is finished with the break installed
40788_zpsrzmcmpy3.jpeg

I'm really excited to see the gun finished.
Thanks for looking

Here's the latest update on the build, the barrel is chambered and the stock is in here are a couple photos of the stock. I'm not real happy with the brown colored laminate on the back right side but I'm not sure if it can be fixedited or if I should just let it alone.
20170316_093540_zpslqzkdur1.jpg

20170316_093555_zpsifjwttiw.jpg

Thanks for looking

Here are a couple photos to update the build, it's been a while but with me not being allowed to shoot due to my shoulder surgery I told my builder I wasn't in a big hurry, but now that I'm cleared to start shooting low recoil the builder has started back at it.

The first photo is of the stock being inlet to accept the #3 custom varmint contour. The second photo is of him fitting his custom bottom metal.
46728_zpshnki58uf.jpeg

46522_zpsufjp7iof.jpeg

So I picked up my new dasher today I love it, but I'm getting a lower set of rings and I'm looking for a used Timney or Jewel trigger
20170510_170252_zps8dauyqv1.jpg

20170510_162322_zpspi0lriuw.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.