My first custom rifle

sussiogleo

Hey all,

I'm looking at my first custom rifle and I'm torn between 300 PRC and 300 Norma.
I'd like something light enough that I can pack it around the mountains with enough knockdown power that it can take pretty much any North American big game.
This is long range hunting.com, so I'd like to be able to reach out.
My understanding is the 300 Norma outperforms the PRC but will burn a barrel out. Anything else I should be aware of? What would you use?
Also, any issues with a carbon fiber barrel out in the brush?
I'm new to the world of custom rifles and long range anything. So I'll take any advice I can get. Thank you in advance.

Those are two great choices and either will work well, however tell us what is your intended use? Keep in mind, the bigger the caliber/cartridge typically the more expensive and abuse it can have.

Another factor to consider after determining your primary use is component availability. Some are much easier to find and cost less.

And don't forget, the builder of your choice has a wealth of knowledge since they entertain that question all the time and can steer you in the right direction.

So, good luck and make the right choice based on what you really need. Sometimes bigger isn't better.

By the way, between the two cartridges mentioned, I like the Norma.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm looking at my first custom rifle and I'm torn between 300 PRC and 300 Norma.
I'd like something light enough that I can pack it around the mountains with enough knockdown power that it can take pretty much any North American big game.
My understanding is the 300 Norma outperforms the PRC but will burn a barrel out. Anything else I should be aware of? What would you use?
I'm new to the world of custom rifles and long range anything. So I'll take any advice I can get. Thank you in advance.
Unless you quit your job and start spending long days on the range burning up Ammo you're not likely to burn either of them out nor any of the other 30cal magnums.

I'd avoid the Norma because of the brass expense and unless you're shooting big animals beyond 1,000yds nobody will know the difference except your wallet and your shoulder/neck.

I'm in the process of doing one of Sherman's improved 30-375Ruger mod's so that's another consideration. 375Ruger brass is readily available and won't break the bank.

Just a thought for you, since this is a custom rifle, I take it expense is not an issue, you may want to consider having two rifles in one. When I say this, I am referring to using a Terminus Zeus action with the quick change barrel feature. You could have a 6.5 PRC barrel in a long action and also have a 300 PRC barrel to swap out for larger game. You keep the stock and optics and would only change out barrels. The additional cost should only be the barrel. This way, if you decide 300 PRC is too big for Whitetails, you could drop down to the 6.5 and if you are heading into Alaska, install the 300 PRC barrel, you are already comfortable with the stock and scope. Just a thought.

Not to add another to your list, but why not consider a 30 Nosler? I was in your same shoes not long ago and decided to go with a custom 30 Nosler. While I have not received the rifle yet to shoot it, from reading online and some trusty sources - it should outperform the 300 PRC in everyway. I am assuming you reload? If so, have that 30 Nosler throated properly and load up some Berger 215's.

If so, have that 30 Nosler throated properly and load up some Berger 215's.
Well he'd have to find some 215s first. Quite the trick right now.

To the OP As far as the questions. I'd say go .300 prc just for better factory support. Easier to find brass and in a pinch you might be able to find factory ammo. No issues with carbon fiber out in the brush. You might want to decide if you're gonna suppress it now or later since that might effect barrel length choice. Might consider what total weight you want to carry as well to inform stock choice, barrel length, optic, etc.

Well he'd have to find some 215s first. Quite the trick right now.
Good point lol - but honestly they are coming in stock very frequently if you look hard enough. I could have bought 215's within the last week at probably 5 or 6 different locations in both 100 counts and 250 counts. Berger is making them now through the beginning of next year and it is starting to show.

Hey all,

IMO, there's a lot to unpack here. Don't take offense. If you're new to "long range" than a 30 cal magnum is the wrong choice. I'm all for buying good equipment, and I think purchasing a well built custom rifle is a good choice. HOWEVER, you also need to budget for a good scope & mounts, good accessories (rangefinder, bipod, rear bag, tripod, weather meter, chronograph, cleaning equipment, shot timer, etc., etc.). AND lots of ammo. You can get really far with focused & intentional dry firing, but you will need to get a lot of live fire reps in to become proficient. Depending on your overall budget, you might need to start making compromises somewhere.

In terms of barrel life, yeah barrels are tires & need to be changed, but to start out I think you should look for a moderate cartridge that will have +/- 3,000+ rounds of barrel life. Plan to shoot the same bullet and learn it. Starting out, look to get 2,000+ rounds down range your first year (which is only about 40 rounds a week) and probably 10x - 50x that in dry fire. It's not 'sexy', but focus a lot at shooting 100 yards on paper, take notes & pictures & track your data, and work on positional shooting (look up Kraft drill for an example). Take your weather meter everywhere. Guess wind speed/direction and then check with your weather meter to build your internal database. I'd also avoid reloading in the beginning as it just adds unnecessary variables, time, and cost (and most reloaders can't outshoot quality factory ammo anyways).

300 Norma will only burn barrels slightly faster than a 300 PRC. I don't know why people say you won't burn out a barrel, if you aren't shooting minimum a couple hundred rounds a year your skills probably aren't up to be taking animals at long range (800+ yards).

The 300 Norma has a larger bolt face and will allow you to step into a 33XC down the road if you choose.

Those are two great choices and either will work well, however tell us what is your intended use? Keep in mind, the bigger the caliber/cartridge typically the more expensive and abuse it can have.

Another factor to consider after determining your primary use is component availability. Some are much easier to find and cost less.

And don't forget, the builder of your choice has a wealth of knowledge since they entertain that question all the time and can steer you in the right direction.

So, good luck and make the right choice based on what you really need. Sometimes bigger isn't better.

By the way, between the two cartridges mentioned, I like the Norma.
Thank you, that is very useful.

My main use would be hunting. I'd like something light enough I can pack around and versatile enough to be used for multiple animals.

Unless you quit your job and start spending long days on the range burning up Ammo you're not likely to burn either of them out nor any of the other 30cal magnums.

I'd avoid the Norma because of the brass expense and unless you're shooting big animals beyond 1,000yds nobody will know the difference except your wallet and your shoulder/neck.

I'm in the process of doing one of Sherman's improved 30-375Ruger mod's so that's another consideration. 375Ruger brass is readily available and won't break the bank.
Thanks wildrose. I'm not in a spot to quit my day job anytime soon, so that is one less thing to worry about.

Just a thought for you, since this is a custom rifle, I take it expense is not an issue, you may want to consider having two rifles in one. When I say this, I am referring to using a Terminus Zeus action with the quick change barrel feature. You could have a 6.5 PRC barrel in a long action and also have a 300 PRC barrel to swap out for larger game. You keep the stock and optics and would only change out barrels. The additional cost should only be the barrel. This way, if you decide 300 PRC is too big for Whitetails, you could drop down to the 6.5 and if you are heading into Alaska, install the 300 PRC barrel, you are already comfortable with the stock and scope. Just a thought.
Sounds like the best of both worlds. I hadn't even considered that. Thank you for the info!

Thank you, that is very useful.

My main use would be hunting. I'd like something light enough I can pack around and versatile enough to be used for multiple animals.
Always chose the caliber best suited for the size of game that it will be predominately used for instead of "maybe one day I will use it on…."because more than likely you will be over bored and the shooting experience may not be as much fun. Trust me, been there and done that. Good luck on your choice.

IMO, there's a lot to unpack here. Don't take offense. If you're new to "long range" than a 30 cal magnum is the wrong choice. I'm all for buying good equipment, and I think purchasing a well built custom rifle is a good choice. HOWEVER, you also need to budget for a good scope & mounts, good accessories (rangefinder, bipod, rear bag, tripod, weather meter, chronograph, cleaning equipment, shot timer, etc., etc.). AND lots of ammo. You can get really far with focused & intentional dry firing, but you will need to get a lot of live fire reps in to become proficient. Depending on your overall budget, you might need to start making compromises somewhere.

In terms of barrel life, yeah barrels are tires & need to be changed, but to start out I think you should look for a moderate cartridge that will have +/- 3,000+ rounds of barrel life. Plan to shoot the same bullet and learn it. Starting out, look to get 2,000+ rounds down range your first year (which is only about 40 rounds a week) and probably 10x - 50x that in dry fire. It's not 'sexy', but focus a lot at shooting 100 yards on paper, take notes & pictures & track your data, and work on positional shooting (look up Kraft drill for an example). Take your weather meter everywhere. Guess wind speed/direction and then check with your weather meter to build your internal database. I'd also avoid reloading in the beginning as it just adds unnecessary variables, time, and cost (and most reloaders can't outshoot quality factory ammo anyways).
No offense taken. I appreciate all the info from someone who has been where I am looking to go. There are a lot of elements I hadn't considered.
My wife is going to be really excited when I mention how many extra things I NEED to buy. 😆