My Experiences with hammer bullets on game

The Load:
30-06, 24" barrel, 1-10" twist, nothing special about it.

Suppressed :cool: đź‘Ť
BrandModelWeightBrassPrimerPowderChargeCOLFPS ProjFPS ActNotes
HammerHunter180Peterson New210MW76058.03.44329752960Maybe faint ejector

Shot two with it this weekend in Central Texas. First was a small cull buck, I made a bad shot and I put it right at the back of the lungs up high.... and a petal punched directly into the stomach. The gut bag actually retained the mess for the most part, but always fun times dealing with that. When he got hit he took three kind of drunken lunging sideways steps and flopped on his side. Absolutely ZERO blood came out of him, it was one of the the most bizarre thing I've seen while hunting. Literally not a drop on him, on the ground after I moved him, nothing sprayed on the foliage, not a single speck of blood anywhere. The deer could have just had a heart attack for the appearance of it, especially because he fell on the exit wound side and the entrance was almost invisible, just a dime pucker. There was basically one giant blood clot around his intact heart and mostly missing lungs when I cut the diaphragm away while field dressing him. I had to actually hunt for the in-hole on the hide - hit a rib on the way in and exit was about the size of a golf ball. Regardless of bullet placement (poor) or performance (excellent IMO), he died in seconds less than 10 feet from where he was shot.

Second was a mature buck, weighed 130# on the scale after being field dressed. Was slightly quartering away and browsing so his neck was low and straight-ish. The bullet hit about an inch above the bowhunter dream shot spot. Exited at the bottom of the neck on the opposite side, took out a rib on the way in and the tops of three ribs plus something smashed a vertebrae on the way out. Again, no sign of the entrance wound until I caped him, and the exit was a blown out golf ball with minor blood signature. Also again, he dropped straight down, a leg kicked once, and he was done.

An anecdotal comparison - my hunting buddy put a .270 WIN Winchester Deer Season XP (the HUGE polymer tipped bullet) into a similar sized mature buck. Shot directly into the scapula, shattered the shoulder, bone fragments everywhere, ribs were a mess, exit hole in the opposite chest wall was gaping, blood was all over everywhere. The deer still ran almost 40 yards before piling up. I'll chalk that up to the toughness of deer, but I'll also keep loading Hammers because they just went two-for-two on DRT.

Last edited:
@QuietTexan,

Your story about the .270 reminds me of a big muledeer I shot. In those days I was using a 7-.300 Wea firing Nosler Partition 175 grainers at 3,150 feet per second. The bullet hit about three inches above the heart. The entrance was about 3" diameter. That buck ran at least 200 yards before collapsing. The exit wound was no bigger than a quarter.

DRT is not my measure of bullet performance since it is dependent upon so many uncontrollable variables. Two nice bucks and one doe with Hammers this year. One big mature buck with .270Win (my .270TH) with 156HH at 3200 fps center punched lungs at 240 yds and he went 210 yds measured with Leica 2700B. Lungs were liquefied goop. Big bucks can go long ways with perfect kill shot. He scored 161 5/8 so mature. Second buck a nice mature 10 pt shot with 180HH in 06 at 2875fps at 75 yds and he went 77 yds. Lungs liquefied goop and heart was completely detached laying inside thorax. Third was doe shot with same 06 180HH load at 62 yds and she went 45 yds. Lungs liquefied goop.

Three deer shot punched in lungs with same terminal performance result on lungs. All dead on feet and blood trails Stevie Wonder could follow. Bullet performed perfectly in each case.

My son does not shoot his 06 very much, hard core bowhunter, now has incredible confidence in his 06 since he can shoot well inside 1" at 100 yds and can shoot MOA at 300 which he was not confident at before Hammers. He likes to shoot now which was a nice unexpected result from Hammers. I think when anyone sees the accuracy and terminal performance they become much more confident in their shooting ability which increases their desire to shoot more often.

Hammers liquefy lungs like I have never seen before and at 71yrs young this is a lot of deer including quite a few years in a deer depredation program. The accuracy, terminal performance, ease of reloading, availability all offset the price IMO. You spend $K's on rifle, optics and other gear so cost of bullet for this high level performance is well worth it.

DRT is not my measure of bullet performance since it is dependent upon so many uncontrollable variables. Two nice bucks and one doe with Hammers this year. One big mature buck with .270Win (my .270TH) with 156HH at 3200 fps center punched lungs at 240 yds and he went 210 yds measured with Leica 2700B. Lungs were liquefied goop. Big bucks can go long ways with perfect kill shot. He scored 161 5/8 so mature. Second buck a nice mature 10 pt shot with 180HH in 06 at 2875fps at 75 yds and he went 77 yds. Lungs liquefied goop and heart was completely detached laying inside thorax. Third was doe shot with same 06 180HH load at 62 yds and she went 45 yds. Lungs liquefied goop.

Three deer shot punched in lungs with same terminal performance result on lungs. All dead on feet and blood trails Stevie Wonder could follow. Bullet performed perfectly in each case.

My son does not shoot his 06 very much, hard core bowhunter, now has incredible confidence in his 06 since he can shoot well inside 1" at 100 yds and can shoot MOA at 300 which he was not confident at before Hammers. He likes to shoot now which was a nice unexpected result from Hammers. I think when anyone sees the accuracy and terminal performance they become much more confident in their shooting ability which increases their desire to shoot more often.

Hammers liquefy lungs like I have never seen before and at 71yrs young this is a lot of deer including quite a few years in a deer depredation program. The accuracy, terminal performance, ease of reloading, availability all offset the price IMO. You spend $K's on rifle, optics and other gear so cost of bullet for this high level performance is well worth it.
We call that the "Slosh Factor" No blood anywhere but sounds like a bucket half full of water when you move the critter

Here is mine. S. Texas last weekend. Cull hunt. 8 deer. all but 2 DRT. one took 2 steps. one ran a 20 yard circle back to the sendero. 7mm-08 running 101gr hammer hunters at 3010 fps. The last morning I was rewarded with a good buck (in my book). 150 yards and a vapor trail like none ever seen before.

SnT

Here is mine. S. Texas last weekend. Cull hunt. 8 deer. all but 2 DRT. one took 2 steps. one ran a 20 yard circle back to the sendero. 7mm-08 running 101gr hammer hunters at 3010 fps. The last morning I was rewarded with a good buck (in my book). 150 yards and a vapor trail like none ever seen before.

SnT

Weird, are you Kristen?

Last edited:
SnT
That's almost exactly what it looked like when I shot mine, crazy to see it in slow motion. Down and out DRT. Good shoot, good deer.

SnT

There is some cutting oil in the hollow point that leave the white smoke, looks cool ! Congratulations !