match bullets on game

Eric Stecker,

Thanks for the Berger video. I just finished watching it. The VLDs are impressive. Nice video.

jmcs,

The title of your thread compels me to respond. I of course can't help you with the SMK however our Berger Match VLD have been very successful on big game. I'll gladly send a free 30 minute DVD showing what our Match VLD does when used for hunting. Send an email listing your interest in the DVD and your shipping address to [email protected]. For more on this we were recently written up in the August 2007 issue of Handloader.

We do not have a 270 cal bullet right now but will have three different weights made in the next few months.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
Berger Bullets

i have the DVD it is a good one. Additionally there is a great write up in the Aug issue of Handloader mag.

Last edited:
Someone had best keep us posted on the availability of the big 338 Bergers.

300s for sure and maybe something between 250 and 300 would also be good for the little 338 RUMs and Winnies.:)

Added:
Just read the Handloader article. Impressive. My experience says that is how a bullet is supposed to act, as far as results go.

My trusty ol 270 Win w/2 bit Sierra 130gr boat tails was always effective on any sized deer at short and pretty long distances. Bullet performance was pretty poor considering the core always shed somewhere along the line, but I always harvested the deer, pretty much immediately.

I would really be enthused with a good shootin' offering in 338 cal. Huh,;) Eric, wouldja huh? Preeze

Last edited:
Roy, as usual we are on the same page of music! i'm gonna use the 250 SMK 's this year,my gun shoots them pretty well. for kicks and giggles, gonna do some terminal performance testing at 500 and 1k here real soon. i'll get some pix.

SMK HPBT Match

Short and simple. I want to try 180 or 190 SMKs in my 300 Win Mag but I'm concerned regarding terminal performace at 400-600 yds. Will it be a bomb at 100 yds and act like a FMJ at long range?

Should I move to a Nosler BT , Berger VLD , Accubond or ?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this seems an appropriate one to jack.

RC

rdc

Never used the 180's but the 190 will kill deer as dead as they're going to get. Long range performance is great. I've killed a lot of game with the NBT's also. Don't know what you plan on shooting but the 190 SMK is often a great shooter.

Mule deer. My Elk country usual gives a guy at most 200 yd shots. I'll keep carry my 375 H&H for that.

I responded earlier.

I'm using 210gr VLD's in a 300 WM. They were running a little slower on my recent trip (see pvanwyk's story on a Kalahari hunt) only around 2800 fps.

Obviously springbuck pose no real test, but a Gemsbuck bull not perfectly hit was pretty messed up and a second shot put him down almost immediately. Range was quite short - around 150 yards.

Lungs were shredded. The bullet didn't "act like a bomb", even hitting the shoulder.

Eric, are those videos available free of charge again?

WL

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.