My 6.5 x 284 Build

C.O. Shooter...
Do you have velocities with these loads?
If so, whats the load count with them?

Also, looks like a **** good shooting rifle
Brent

Yep, the barrel and action work anyway. That's why im curious about the velocities, because I either have a slow batch of H4350 or my Oehler chrono is reading a little slow. I have to load 50.5 - 51 gr. to get the speed my smith said I should be able to achieve with 49 - 49.5. Not a big deal. I know every gun is different. Im not seeing any pressure, so that's not an issue. Im just curious.

C.O. Shooter...
Do you have velocities with these loads?
If so, whats the load count with them?

Also, looks like a **** good shooting rifle
Brent

Currently at 2925 FPS, said should finish at about 2975 FPS!

Also running a 28" barrel!

That is with both loads IMR4831 & H4350

15 rounds for each powder, for a total round count of 30.

We will see what happens!

Last edited:
Thanks shooter. That's close to where I was. Im a little slower but that's with a 26" barrel. Although im not sure just how much the velocity is affected by barrel length with a faster burning powder like 4350.

Curious to know if anyone has tried the various brands of factory ammo (140gr) for the 6.5-284? I would like to have a box or two as a backup to reloads on trips!

Black Hills
HSM
Gunwerks
Best of the West
Nosler Custom
Cor-Bon

A person would go broke buying a box of these at 65-85$ a box!

Dont know, everybody I know who owns a 6.5 strictly reloads. But that's a great question. Thought I read somewhere that the HSM ammo shot pretty good. I would think in your custom rifle that most will.

Curious to know if anyone has tried the various brands of factory ammo (140gr) for the 6.5-284? I would like to have a box or two as a backup to reloads on trips!

Black Hills
HSM
Gunwerks
Best of the West
Nosler Custom
Cor-Bon

A person would go broke buying a box of these at 65-85$ a box!

While I reload almost exclusively, I shot the BOTW 6.5x284 ammo a few years ago. It was loaded with Retumbo, Lapua brass, and 142 JLK's. My measured velocity was 2970 with an ES of 12FPS for 5 rounds. Five shots at 200 yards could be covered with a dime. Shot as well as my best hand loads! They sure seem to know what they are doing. I shot a few whitetail's and antelope with them between 500 and 1000 yards and found the JLK's performed similarly to my 140 Berger VLD hand loads. One inch entry, two inch exit , on broadside chest shots, dead in their tracks. The published BC of the JLK's was .640 compared to .612 with the Bergers but at 1000 yards the Bergers had the same POI using the same drop. Overall, I was impressed with their ammo and would easily consider it in a pinch if they are still using the same recipe and components.

PS. yes, you could go broke using this this ammo! I could load a box for about a third of the cost.

While I reload almost exclusively, I shot the BOTW 6.5x284 ammo a few years ago. It was loaded with Retumbo, Lapua brass, and 142 JLK's. My measured velocity was 2970 with an ES of 12FPS for 5 rounds. Five shots at 200 yards could be covered with a dime. Shot as well as my best hand loads! They sure seem to know what they are doing. I shot a few whitetail's and antelope with them between 500 and 1000 yards and found the JLK's performed similarly to my 140 Berger VLD hand loads. One inch entry, two inch exit , on broadside chest shots, dead in their tracks. The published BC of the JLK's was .640 compared to .612 with the Bergers but at 1000 yards the Bergers had the same POI using the same drop. Overall, I was impressed with their ammo and would easily consider it in a pinch if they are still using the same recipe and components.

PS. yes, you could go broke using this this ammo! I could load a box for about a third of the cost.

Yes, I'm looking at this ammo to be used in a pinch! About going broke, I meant testing a box of each!

QUOTE....."I shot the BOTW 6.5x284 ammo a few years ago. It was loaded with Retumbo, Lapua brass, and 142 JLK's. My measured velocity was 2970 with an ES of 12FPS for 5 rounds. Five shots at 200 yards could be covered with a dime. Shot as well as my best hand loads! They sure seem to know what they are doing."

I had a friend that shot this ammo out of his 7mm magnum. It was very accurate, but it was taylored to his gun......
Brent

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.