My 6.5 x 284 Build

CO Shooter-

Just a scope suggestion, spend the little extra and get the FFP if you can. I just "ponied up" and got the Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 TMR reticle (MOA / MOA). I use it to range as well, and holding for the wind is never a problem. I love it!

Thanks honey, for not saying too much when I spent all that money!:)

CO Shooter-

Just a scope suggestion, spend the little extra and get the FFP if you can. I just "ponied up" and got the Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 TMR reticle (MOA / MOA). I use it to range as well, and holding for the wind is never a problem. I love it!

Thanks honey, for not saying too much when I spent all that money!:)

Your TMR is in mils! (MOA/MILS)

In all honesty, I am starting to think I might be a little husky here with my build:

Stock - 2lbs 8oz
Action - 2lbs 7oz
Barrel - 6lbs
Brake - 8oz
Scope - 2lbs
Base - 5.6oz
Rings - 7.8oz

Total: 14lbs + or -

Don't forget : sling, bipod, stock pack with ammo. Mine is real similar to yours and is a tad over 16. You will not be doing any free hand shooting at this weight, so you might as well add in the bipod. It's probably not coming off.

On a few of my numbers I might be a little heavy, but not by much! The only numbers i am not certain of is the finished barrel and brake. I have been looking at the Atlas bipods, I like their design. I'm not a huge fan of the stock packs, but a sling is a must. I am certain it will be a very solid shooting platform!

Talked to my Smith today:

My gun is done and he is doing a minor barrel break in. Gun comes in at 11.75 lbs with a 6.5-20x50 Leupold on it. He has 14 rounds down the barrel, two different groups shot. The first group shot measured in at .425 and the second measured .40. He used 49 gr. of H4350, behind a 140 gr. Berger Hybrid, with a speed of 2900 FPS. The speed should pick up a little with some more rounds. He hasn't played with the seating depth at this point. He said he is going to try some 4831 and see what he can get with that! He measured the barrel deflection before and after bedding. It went from 13 thousands to less than 1 thousands!

More to follow!

Talked to my smith:

Finished test firing (30 Rounds). All groups averaged together was .370" with the smallest @ .176". Velocity is @ 2925 fps which will still increase as more rounds are put through it, it should end up at about 2975 fps when finished. Overall length of the rifle is 49 5/8".

Some loads:

51.1 gr. IMR 4831
CCI BR-2 primer (.176" load)

49.0 gr. H4350
Fed 210M primer (.265" load)

Both seated @ 3.445" (on Sinclair comparator)

From my smith:

Both loads, ES/20-30, SD/ low teens. Could be tighter but don't judge until break-in is complete. Sure can't argue with group size though. I shot only one 5 shot group @ 400 yds. with the IMR4831 load and it was just a bit over .5 moa. Wind and mirage didn't help much but still a respectable group from a brand new barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.