My 6.5 x 284 Build

Well my gun is done and here it is:

This is my first custom rifle/build and it exceeds all my expectations. This build was a two part build as far as gunsmiths go. The gun was put together by my friend Rod Bryant of Bryant Firearms Repair and Trevor Rosencranse of Cloud Peak Gunworks (CPG). CPG chambered, crowned, and indexed the barrel. He installed the sako extractor, bolt knob, muzzle brake and applied the Cerokote. Mr. Bryant trued and blueprinted the action, glass bedded and free floated the stock, installed the trigger, base, rings, and optics. Both gunsmiths did an outstanding job and are masters of their trades. If someone is looking for a quality gunsmith for a rifle build, don't hesitate to contact either of them.

Cloud Peak Gunworks
Trevor Rosencranse
P.O. Box 757
610 South 8th Street
Basin WY 82410
(307) 568-3009
Cloud Peak Gunworks Home Page

Bryant Firearms Repair
Rod Bryant
701 Oregon TPKE.
Honesdale, PA 18431
(570) 253-0370

Here are the Stats:

6.5 x 284 (Norma)

Action: Remington 700 Long Action – BDL

- Trued/Blueprinted
- Pierce Engineering - Firing Pin, Bolt Shroud, & Spring Assembly
- Pierce Engineering - Tactical Bolt Knob
- Pierce Engineering - Recoil Lug (Pinned)
- Sako Extractor
- Black Cerakote

Barrel: Brux 416R Stainless – .264 Caliber

- 28" Heavy Palma Contour ("B Measurement – 1.25" for 4") Finished @ .90
- 1-8" Twist (Throated for 140 Grain Berger Bullets)
- Center Shot Rifles - Mini Muscle, Muzzle Brake (Round)
- Black Cerakote

Trigger: Rifle Basix (LV-1)

Optics: Nightforce 5.5-22x50 MOAR Reticle (High Speed/Zero Stop)

- Badger Ordnance 20 MOA Base w/8-40 Screws
- Badger Ordnance Medium Rings (.885")

Stock: HS-Precision PST036 – Grey w/Black Webbing (Bedded w/Titanium Devcon)

Bullets: Berger 140 Grain Hybrid Match (.618 BC)

Brass: Lapua 6.5 x 284

Powder: 49 Grains - H4350

Primers: Federal 210 Match

Bipod: Harris BR2

Weight: 12.4 Lbs

Length: 49 5/8"

I got 65 MOA of adjustment

Attachments

• photo 3-7.jpg
    photo 3-7.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 1-10.jpg
    photo 1-10.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 109
  • photo 2-11.jpg
    photo 2-11.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who helped me with insight and suggestions along the way. Hopefully I can get out soon and see what it can do on paper and maybe a whitetail!

Just curious. Did Mr Bryant blueprint the action before or after cloud peak installed the barrel? You mentioned it was a 2 part build. .. sounds more like a 3+. Don't worry I've done it all different ways, some better than others.

It has been > a month. We haven't lost interest in your build. Update please and don't worry, tell the good , the bad and the ugly ! You got a lot of good advise on LRH...
a thanks to Len for providing the forum; as we said in the USAF..."you are an officer and a gentleman" for doing so.
C.O. you as well have been open and not defensive when changes were offered...that has made an educational read. Thank You Sirs
PS There is a wealth of info in the thread. Mistakes I don't have to make because good men shared their experience...most of it not gained for free like we readers are gaining.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.