My 6.5 x 284 Build

C.O. Shooter

This is the start of my rifle build. I am picking up my donor action tomorrow and shipping it off to my Smith. This is something I have been planning for sometime now and look forward to its completion. If anyone has any constructive criticism, please feel free to chime in with any comments, concerns, thoughts, or ideas! lightbulb

Action: Remington 700 BDL Long Action
- Trued/Blueprinted
- Pierce Engineering - Firing Pin & Spring Assembly
- Pierce Engineering - Tactical Bolt Knob

Barrel: Broughton 5C/.264
- 30" Heavy Varmint (5.75)/Heavy Palma Contour (12.4)/Sendero contour (Undecided)
- 1-8" Twist
- Pierce Engineering - Recoil Lug

Trigger: Jewell Trigger
- Remington Compatible (1 ½ -3 lbs. adjustable)
- Top Safety
- Blued/Stainless

Optics: Vortex Viper PST
- 6-24x50 FFP/ EBR-1 MOA
- Badger Ordnance/Night Force - 20 MOA Base (Undecided)
- Badger Ordnance/Night Force/Vortex Rings - Medium (Undecided)
- Badger Ordnance/Night Force Angle Compensation Indicator (Undecided)
- Vortex Scope Level

Stock: H.S. Precision/Bell & Carlson - (Undecided)
- Glass Bedded & Free Floated

I will post pics as the project progresses! gun)

...not sure exactly which HS/BC stocks you're looking at. ...both are great choices.

But, I really like my Manners T4a. I feel like the wide fore-end and straight butt stuck bottom with hand relief rides the bags nicely cutting down vertical that can sometimes occur with my Sendero. Yet, it's still very suitable for hunting.

My next build will likely be on an XLR chassis for something completely different.

-- richard

Not real familiar with Pierce Eng products, but i was very pleased with the Gretan firing pin assembly (brownells) in my Remington build. May be worth a look?

Holland recoil lug? I know a few smiths that recomend them highly, and its an easy aquisition from brownells.

Jewell trigger= spot on. Mine are set at 2lbs and still surprise me, so you may want to reconsider the 1.5lb you mentioned.

As far as the stock, of the 2 mentioned, I would go the HS route. My experience is that they seem to be a little stiffer in the forend area. Take a hard look at the mcmillans as well. They get a little more coin for them, and require a little more work from the smith, but I love mine. The feel and fit when they are bedded right is amazing.

Good luck with your build, and post some pics when your done.

I like the B&C Medalist Stock, Would consider a HS similar to what is on my Sendero, or try a Grey Bull Stock! To many choices! I am trying to stay between 250-350$ for the stock!

On a side note, I removed the factory stock tonight and discover the rifle had a "Rifle Basixs" trigger installed! Are they any good? The guy I bought it from had no idea! I only paid 400$ for the gun!

Here is my donor rifle! Remington 700 BDL 30-06!

Attachments

• photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 2-1.jpg
    photo 2-1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 185
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 172
Since you were looking for opinions I would use a Tubb or PTG/Callahan speed lock firing pin assembly, also a badger ordinance recoil lug, and finally a 30" barrel will not hurt unless its to skinny, but a 27 or 28" will do the same with that catridge, they are even pretty speedy in a 26".

I was talking with a few people and was going to put it out there for discussion and recommendation. As far as barrel length is concerned with a 6.5 x 284, what are you thoughts on a 28" or a 30" barrel. It is my understanding all the powder will be burned up in the 28"! When dealing with barrel length, is the extra two inches worth it?

Thanks

We have a 6.5x284 cooking right now. I opted for a 30" tube with my own specified profile. Pretty much an extended Sendero with the extra meat in the chamber area. It's a 5 groove 8 twist PacNor. We still need a stock for it so that might be a delay. With these 100+mph winds (really, check our forecast in 97459) this week we wouldn't take it out anyway.

I have run 139 scenars up to 3182fps in a 30" barrel with a tid bit of extra resistance in bolt lift, but accuracy wise they (and the bergers) do not like to be pushed that fast through an 8 twist, you can break 3000 easy, there are some hitting around 2980-2990 with 24" barrels. If you use a 30" barrel it should have a muzzle diameter of atleast .875" or your playing with a harmonic nightmare.

Here is my exact profile. I hope it's not a harmonics nightmare as I bought 4 of these.

6.5 8T SSSM 1.230 x5" 35" Rad for 2.5" to .950 ST out to .800@30" lv 31" 6 flutes 3" from 30" fin

It's a sporterized exact match for the Med Palma that everyone sells. I bet all the guys using this profile for Palma shooting are going to be ****ed.

If it won't shoot I have room all over this thing to cut it down.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.