6.5 x 284

maccer

I am in the process of sourcing a 6.5x284 which intend to use it in UK for hunting red deer out to moderate distances.

I fancy bringing it to the US to have a crack at long range. Of course I understand that shot placement counts above all:)

So what I would like to know is what size animals you guys are shooting with this calibre out to what range and with what loads.

Then I can have an idea of what its capable of.

Cheers

In North America anything with four legs and antlers or horns but short of a buffalo. For Deer/red deer and the sort I like the 130 gr. Berger VLD Hunting. 140 works equally well. With the 130 just for hunting I use 51.8 gr. RL17, Hornady brass that I have annealed, I use a fed 215 primer but GM210M works too. Velocity is 3200 at about 50 deg F at my altitude I have about 900 yards of range considering energy on a whitetails up to 250 lbs. For Elk, I would say 750 but I would use a 140 on elk. My 140 load is 50.5 grains RL17 at about 3100 fps You have about 100 more yards with it but a little more drop. Out to about 600 yards they should be just about on the same flight path.

Last edited:
This is my hunting caliber as well. The reason I chose this caliber is because I wanted a rifle that I could hunt deer and Elk with that had lower recoil. I am a fan of lower recoil rifles and also a firm believer that shot placement is the major factor in harvesting an animal. You can keep shooting those big bangers and lying to yourself that recoil doesn't really bother you or gun down a little and see the results. I shoot Berger 140 VLD's at both deer and elk behind H4350, Lapua brass and CCI. I would feel comfortable out to 600 with this load.

I took and elk this year at 450 yds. Trust me this caliber is very capable.

Enjoy your rifle.

In regards to hitting elk with Berger bullets.

The bullet is going to behave the same wither the animal is hit at 650 yards or 950 yards.
It will penetrate 2 to 3 inches then grenade. So called Energy means nothing.
A 140 just has more metal to tear up some more flesh and vitals over a 130 grain.

Impact velocity to open up the bullet is everything. If it hits an animal at around 1,600 fps you're good. That's the impact speed I want.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.