6.5 X 284 WIN or 6.5 X 284 Norma?

chessman

I'm building a rifle in 6.5 X 284. I was getting ready to order the reamers and discovered that there are two versions of this round out there. Now I assume that the 6.5 X 284 Win is still the one I'll go with because I have some familiarity with it, but what are the differences between the two?

Also, who's reamers would you recommend today and why? I have used Clymer reamers before with good results, but I'm open to suggestions if there is a better product out there.

Thanks.

I would go with the Norma version. You can get very good brass for the Norma like Lepua brass. The Win is smaller in the web aria and you will not be able to use brass other then Win.
Crow Mag

I agree on reamer choice, go with the Lapua/Norma version. Also, give some thought to amount of freebore that you want.
Pacific Tool (Dave Kiff) may have what you want right on the shelf.

Thanks gentlemen. That is exactly what I was looking for. I had intended to use Lapua brass, but I didn't realize that it wasn't the same as the Winchester case.

What do you suggest for freebore? As a rule, I try to set my rifles up with very little freebore – zero for single feed target rifles, and usually just a few thousandths for my hunting rifles.

I would suppose the best thing to do would be to collect a good selection of bullets, build an ogive measuring fixture and load up a bunch of dummy rounds to compare the differences in overall length to a given freebore dimension. It might make an interesting study if I find time to do it. Of course, the easier approach might be to find out what works for other people and not try to make a science experiment out of it.

chessman,

There is actually more than 1 kind of Norma reamer. The standard reamer with a .501 web and the norma match with a .499" web. I use the match chanber with Lapua brass to try and keep the pockets tighter, longer. The neck on the win chamber is .301", the
Norma and Norma match is .2975/.2972 tapered or strait depending on which you want.

The throats. The standard Norma and Norma match reamers are set up to put the start of the boattail at the shoulder/neck junction. Depending on the bullets you use, this gives and OAL of 3.000 to 3.035" using Sierra 142SMK's. If you want to feed from a magazine, it best be a long magazine, and you'll need to have the feed rails opened somewhat to accomodate the wider web. The bolt face will also have to have a bevel cut to allow the rebate rim to snap in without contacting the case body.

The easiest and most user friendly reamer I've used is the Norma Match by Dave Kiff at Pacific Precision. He has them in stock generally, and they're only like $138 with two pilots.

I personally use a Norma match with a .4985" web and a throat shortened by .1". Also, I use a slight tapered nack with .003" difference from mouth to shoulder. A strat neck would be just as good, if not better I think, as it may help minimize the doughnuts. This chamber allows for the tight primer pockets and I can chase the lands longer before a set back is required. As far as accuarcy, I haven't seen a difference, and with the powder I use, H4350 or 4831, the load density is only betwen 85 to 90% so having the bullet deeper in the ase hasn't hurt anything.

Hope this helps some.

Chris...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.