My 6.5 x 284 Build

Yeah I am anxious to have all the pieces put together. Waiting patiently knowing this all takes time. It will be well worth the wait! My next step is to order a scope.

I just got mine this week. I am running a sendero barrel, 20 moa base, and a NF 5.5x22x56. It's a tight fit, but clears fine. I do not regret buying that scope! I went with a 27" tube. I also went with the McM stock, sniper fill.
I'll weigh it in the morning, buts it's heavy as hell. Just like I wanted it.

Better re-think your barrel and stock choice then. That's where I think most of my weight is. The rest is probably marginal.

I should add that I did have my small bipod and stock pack on when weighed. Don't think that makes a huge difference, but..

Hey CO congrats on your build, I am also in your same boat waiting for a 6.5-284 that I have in the works, I am getting very anxious as I believe I should have this one within the next 2 or 3 weeks.... Hopefully. Are you going with a tight neck chamber or a standard no turn?

Hey CO congrats on your build, I am also in your same boat waiting for a 6.5-284 that I have in the works, I am getting very anxious as I believe I should have this one within the next 2 or 3 weeks.... Hopefully. Are you going with a tight neck chamber or a standard no turn?

I believe i should have mine at the beginning of next year. I am in no hurry, and expressed no immediate time frame. This allows me to buy pieces/components a few at a time. Thus staying out of divorce court......LOL! I rather they take their time and things get done right. The only thing I have left to buy is a scope, bullets, and the remainder of total costs. I went with a standard neck, throated for the 140 VLD bullets!

Nice! I also will be using the berger 140 but I will be trying the new hybrids. What scope do you plan on going with? My set up is also currently at the smith being put together, its a Surgeon 1086 long action with a krieger 28" light palma 1 in 8 with a .286 neck sitting in the AI AX chassis and a shilen trigger. The scope is a schmidt and Bender 3-20x50 with H-37 reticle, I have it mounted right now on my 300 RUM but I am utilizing the Larue LT111 quick detachable scope mount so I will be interchanging it between these 2 rifles.

The target hybrids are supposed to work great for either application. From my understanding, Berger is working on producing a 6.5 hunting hybrid. The current VLD hunting has a BC of .612, the target hybrid has a BC of .618. Either or really, however, the hybrid is not as sensitive to seating depth. I have time, so I will wait to see what comes out. I am going to go with the nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR. I wasn't going to get the zero stop, but after further consideration, it would be worth the extra money. It's not everyday you build a custom.

Just finished mt 6.5X284 Build. I used a Reminton 700 LA whiched I blue printed my self. I own a Lathe. Installed a 26" Keriger heavy hunter barrel Fluted with a 11 degree muzzle crown. A 40X trigger and a Greybull stock. Still working on finding a good load but 140 Berger VLD over 49 grs of H4831SC using Lapua brass is promising. I went with a Voetex 4X16x50 PST scope mounted on Badger Ordanace 40 MOA base and their 30mm rings.
Rhino55 gun)
2012-08-042081A.jpg

+1 good looking rig. Don't be afraid to push the 4831sc higher, depending on your free bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.