Muzzle break info needed

There's more to the equation that just recoil reduction.
Yes, I cant help you on hearing loss or noise.....You gotta go with a suppressor for that and or good ear muffs.

I did ask and think about a change in barrel harmonics before I bought mine though, because I am also interested in accuracy.

What I planned and am working up is an integrated barrel tuner with brake. I think for smaller calibers say less than .30 you can probably go with the Eric Cortina tuner brake and be ok. For larger magnum rifles though recoil reduction has to be a big part of the answer?

Why? Because barrel harmonics and torsion are going to be worse in big magnums. So is human flinch.....So my approach has been get the best brake with most recoil reduction you can, combine it with a barrel tuner and you will have a more flinch free, small group experience.... But you do have to wear ear protection or just go to suppressor.

It is my belief that if you trade off noise for amount of recoil reduction, you are implicitly trading off accuracy too.
Lots of recoil but quiet muzzle blast is not going to result in small groups. Just my opinion.

Get the most recoil reduction you can if you can use earmuffs for noise control.....

I sure admit I dont like shooting benchrest next to a big .50 with muzzle brake, even with ear muffs.
Those rifles shake the whole shooting line.

See the posted videos above.
I did watch these videos and have an issue with a certain aspect. If you watch these videos the sled is NOT smooth at all. Very jerky you can see the needle bouncing (jerky) so not sure its very accurate. But Terminator beat on one and barely lost on another. I still believe Termintor are tops

I did watch these videos and have an issue with a certain aspect. If you watch these videos the sled is NOT smooth at all. Very jerky you can see the needle bouncing (jerky) so not sure its very accurate. But Terminator beat on one and barely lost on another. I still believe Termintor are tops
But if the sled Is jerky on one it's jerky on the others right ?
I am with you on the Terminator.

if the sideports are shaped correctly you don't need top holes .
here is a 4 port beast. 338 lapua

P4101574.JPG

here is a early design muzzle brake and more , with top holes on my 300 wby. you can see the difference in the side hole shape .

P4101573.JPG

I shoot with a guy that has a terminator, the chassis gun in the pic . that brake blows back hard enough that it disturbs my labradar to the point it will not give a reading . I position the labradar over the front bell of the scope . so far that is the only brake that bothers the labradar in this position .

P6210897.JPG

P8220924.JPG

one guy uses a bastard brake with 2 rows of top holes . this is the heaviest rifle out of our group , it's probably 25+ pounds . I don't have an opinion on it , one way or the other . it seems to do what it needs to do , and it can be shot through my labradar set up over the scope . another guy came with a savage with the factory brake . it only took a handful of shots and he had enough recoil, for the day . a week or two later he had a 5 port beast , he can shoot it now .

radial brakes blow to much dirt to be used on a prone rifle . this is a 7 rem mag

P4101581.JPG

this big radial brake doesn't reduce recoil as well as the 4 port beast .

PA010484.JPG

I've used terminator and I've used mbm. They both work very well. Never used both on same rifle so I can't say which is better but I do know mbm are made right next door in Idaho so they get my business.
The shop that sells Terminator breaks is in Utah. The guy who designed the break is in New Zeland.

The shop that sells Terminator breaks is in Utah. The guy who designed the break is in New Zeland.
Yes I know that. But the terminator brakes are not made here in the states. Also Boise is much closer to me than Utah so more local.
I was more impressed with mbm's machining than terminator. First terminator I got was a t5 and the bore on it was very rough scratchy finish. Like drilled out with a very poor bit. Others where not like that.

You cant go wrong with either as the recoil reduction is great. My personal choice is mbm. Jmo for my own reasons.

Three big keys for me are countering torsion, muzzle flip, and the brake not being too brutal on the shooter in the event ear protection is lost or not available when you have that moment.

Sadly, as a rule those that are most effective at recoil reduction tend to fail in at least one or more of those areas, particularly the potential for serious ear damage in the event you have a hearing protection issue.

Guns are loud; even .22s. Don't make provisions for shooting without hearing protection.