Muzzle Brake Recommendation

90 degree ports do not always have less blast on the shooter. Each combo is a little different. I think its mostly to do with muzzle pressure. Higher muzzle pressure equals more concussion, its that simple. I have went to 90 degree brakes for a while to try and tame that down, and now am back to the effective brakes because I found in many cases those 90 degree brakes were as bad or worse. The nastiest one I have done lately was a simple radial hole brake, but a little shorter barrel than normal. Buy a Beast brake or a terminator. The most effective brakes out there, I have yet to try one in that class. The beast has some down force, so in a lighter rifle I like them to help jump on the bipod. The terminator does a very good job of removing any excess material, they are as light as many of the ti offerings without the ti issues.

Ti issues? Like what?

90 degree ports do not always have less blast on the shooter. Each combo is a little different. I think its mostly to do with muzzle pressure. Higher muzzle pressure equals more concussion, its that simple. I have went to 90 degree brakes for a while to try and tame that down, and now am back to the effective brakes because I found in many cases those 90 degree brakes were as bad or worse. The nastiest one I have done lately was a simple radial hole brake, but a little shorter barrel than normal. Buy a Beast brake or a terminator. The most effective brakes out there, I have yet to try one in that class. The beast has some down force, so in a lighter rifle I like them to help jump on the bipod. The terminator does a very good job of removing any excess material, they are as light as many of the ti offerings without the ti issues.
The angle of the ports do have a lot impact on the concussion generated to the shooter, more important is the size of the port and the length of the runners. With some of this brakes that large open ports with short runners they will produce the most concussion to the shooter. They key is to make the runners long enough to get the pressure to go "90 deg" away from the shooter. We tried many port designs and angles when designing the Assassin brake and found that we could also alter the concussion with a slight progressive angle on each port. Also keeping the smaller width on the port showed less blast to the shooter while the incresing angle disturbed the sound pressure, reducing noise level by more than 5db. Is it quite? No.

For efficiency .. the port length must be at least 2x bore diameter. Shorter runners lose some efficiency and produce more concussion shock to the shooter. The radial brake I make uses smaller diameter ports with long runners, producing very little concussion to the shooter and retaining 95% efficiency of recovering gas recoil.

The angle of the ports do have a lot impact on the concussion generated to the shooter, more important is the size of the port and the length of the runners. With some of this brakes that large open ports with short runners they will produce the most concussion to the shooter. They key is to make the runners long enough to get the pressure to go "90 deg" away from the shooter. We tried many port designs and angles when designing the Assassin brake and found that we could also alter the concussion with a slight progressive angle on each port. Also keeping the smaller width on the port showed less blast to the shooter while the incresing angle disturbed the sound pressure, reducing noise level by more than 5db. Is it quite? No.

For efficiency .. the port length must be at least 2x bore diameter. Shorter runners lose some efficiency and produce more concussion shock to the shooter. The radial brake I make uses smaller diameter ports with long runners, producing very little concussion to the shooter and retaining 95% efficiency of recovering gas recoil.

What brand brakes do you make?

Ti brakes are more likely to shoot loose than steel. Terminators are hardened and very light. We reuse them on many barrels.

I just cant agree on the port angle making all the difference on concussion. All things equal I can see it, but so many times I have built them with 90 degree ports that where worse than ones with back rake. Id say the angle of the port is less important than matching the brake to the gas volume. The fact is they are all loud!

Last edited:
I'd have to throw salmon river into the bunch. I've had lots of brakes and the painkiller by Kirby allen was my favorite until I tried a salmon river. Still have my painkiller and like them but all new ones are the slab style from salmon.
Have to agree with Alex above on port angle. I've had bad blast from 90's and no blast from rack. Really depends.

I use ultra dyne muzzle brake self timing which is nice , a venom brake and a precisionarmament M41 severe-duty muzzle brake this is a spiral brake haven't shot it yet though. I really like the EC tuner muzzle brake by Eric Cortina you can tune your rifle and shrink groups with it.

Last edited:
I potentially have a way to test the effects of port angles (or number, or sizes) via multiple sensors placed on/around a shooter. If you are set up to make brakes with differing angles and are interested in "sponsoring" this then hit me with a PM. I will supply the rifle(s) and ammo.

I potentially have a way to test the effects of port angles (or number, or sizes) via multiple sensors placed on/around a shooter. If you are set up to make brakes with differing angles and are interested in "sponsoring" this then hit me with a PM. I will supply the rifle(s) and ammo.
JE and I did extensive tests with port angles on the Assassin muzzle break. Found a sweet spot where the sound to the shooter was not increased by the use of the muzzle break and to the side was reduced compared to a straight port brake design. In slow motion video watching port deflection it appears counteracting angles reduced the concussion effect. The tuning we apply, which is caliber specific, was able to get the effectiveness of gas recoil reduction to 96%, while still reducing sound pressure (comparatively) Drawback .. machining of the brakes is significantly more, hence more pricey. Running low on of the initial batch and will have another batch made soon for delivery.

I gotcha, Jerry spoke with me about tuning to the caliber, bullet, and load and it was very interesting. I have a way to collect data (actual pressure numbers) and have it put into a report sent to me. I though maybe some may be interested in the measured data.

I gotcha, Jerry spoke with me about tuning to the caliber, bullet, and load and it was very interesting. I have a way to collect data (actual pressure numbers) and have it put into a report sent to me. I though maybe some may be interested in the measured data.
Would you have a way to measure port pressure at each port? The tuning was used to achieve a balance with in the brake. To distribute the pressure equally to each port, in that way the effectiveness goes up without loosing the effort to the first port as most brakes do.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts