Muzzel break blew off on the first shot!

You're more trusting of the guy that most of us would be on something that important that was done so poorly the first time. I hope he didn't use superglue to fix it!

Everyone's entitled to a mistake now & again, but HOLY CRAP man!!
Not only was that dangerous, & irresponsible, but IMO if a guy tried to "pull" something over on me like that id seriously consider kicking his *** for putting me or my family members in danger.
There's a reason I use LRH sponsors for my firearm needs, repairs, & builds. The guys here cater to one of the most demanding consumers market on the planet. They wouldn't cater to such clientele unless they were top notch smiths.
That's a very hard earned lesson you, & your smith had. I applaud you for giving him a chance to make it right, but I'd expect a new barrel of equal length, & a new brake. Id sell it immediately, & also wouldn't let him touch another firearm I ever planned on shooting.

Edit:
Please understand I am not advocating violence. I'm just sayin' id be ****ed enough to seriously consider it. Which, again is why I use LRH Sponsors. I research them thoroughly, & get my own list of references, call & personally talk to as many as I can, & then choose which smith fits my particular project the best at the time. I can sleep peacefully, knowing I made a good choice of a trustworthy, top shelf smith.
You obviously have a much better temperament than I do. I commend you for that, & for being an example of how keeping a level head serves your purpose better. I will try to remember this example for use in everyday life. I'm quite impressed to say the least. I'm pretty sure I couldn't keep my cool as well as you have.

Last edited:
Interesting thread in more ways than one. Interesting thread as in posts and interesting as the first picture of the external threads on the barrel end.

The internal threads on the brake are just fine. It must have been glued on.

I've chased a lot of threads in my day, on lathes, with die heads even fixed a few with a hand file. I have to say that those in the OP's picture are fugly. Looks to me like an acute lack of lubricant, dull tool or both and if done with a single point lathe tool, the threading tool (insert) was too far above the centerline of the rotating barrel. Lots of seizing going on there.

Wow. Obviously, its a 'earn while you learn' person. I thought only Obama was guilty of that.

What I'd like to see at this point, is the brake removed (now that it's been redone by the same person). I want to see the 'reworked threading job' underneath the brake. Curious as all get out.

I wonder if it's a 'silk purse' over a sows ear........:D

"What I'd like to see at this point, is the brake removed (now that it's been redone by the same person). I want to see the 'reworked threading job' underneath the brake. Curious as all get out.

I wonder if it's a 'silk purse' over a sows ear........:D "

That's exactly what I would have done before I even left the guy's shop and took it home. I sure wouldn't shoot it without doing that after seeing the initial job he botched!

I took the gun out and shot it today. Everything went good. 5 shots through the chronograph. average fps was 2962. With Hornady superformance 162gr SST. 6th shot 425 yards. 7th shot 625 yards. 8th shot 702 yards. on random rocks. I was glad to see everything working the way it should.

and then playing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-Z4hHv1nc]7mm vs Tannerite - YouTube[/ame]

He is breathing hard... he ran out and placed the target and ran back as fast as he could then i shot it. ha ha

"What I'd like to see at this point, is the brake removed (now that it's been redone by the same person). I want to see the 'reworked threading job' underneath the brake. Curious as all get out.

I wonder if it's a 'silk purse' over a sows ear........:D "

That's exactly what I would have done before I even left the guy's shop and took it home. I sure wouldn't shoot it without doing that after seeing the initial job he botched!

I guess my wife has me watch to much 'Holmes on Holmes'....... It's what is underneath that counts.

Glad it shot well but I'm still curious as I'm sure others are.....

Conjecture wise, if it's the same brake and the barrel wasn't shortened and rethreaded, the only way to increase the diameter and rethread properly would be to plasma spray the end...that is beyond the realm of your average gunsmith, well, the only proper way.....

Inquiring minds want to know I guess...

It is your firearm after all, not ours. If you are satisified, thats all that matters.

Conjecture wise, if it's the same brake and the barrel wasn't shortened and rethreaded, the only way to increase the diameter and rethread properly would be to plasma spray the end...that is beyond the realm of your average gunsmith, well, the only proper way.....

You could easily cut the back of the brake and it will get bigger because it is tapered. It actually wouldn't take much of a cut to get it big enough to work on the slightly shorter barrel. I'm sure it had to be re-timed anyway.

I'm thinkin' like 'Flip',,,, I'd like to see the new threads on that barrel. Never been a fan of the "take it off, put it on,,,,,,, do it needlessly" thing. I've seen way too many brakes (and other stuff) cross threaded (because of the fine threads) or over torqued (again, because of the fine threads). Too many aren't/don't pay attention, kinda' like wrong ammo in wrong gun. How many times have we seen/ read about that? Stuff has to be "fool proof" these days.

Last edited:
"Anal" is the one thing you should always be when dealing with a firearm, especially after a botched up job like that guy did. There is no way I'd have shot that gun without first taking the break off and checking things out. I hope it doesn't come off again and kill someone the next time!!!

Sorry but the thread job on the barrel is horrible. The threads were not cut at 5/8". My guess they were cut just under that. The brake threads look good. They only way to fix is to cut .75" off barrel and start over.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.