Must use 30 cal for moose

My brain swells just trying to imagine how many Moose and Elk have been killed with a 30-30 or 30-06 while most today seem to think you need to call an artillery strike on the poor critters.

I occasionally point out that our ancestors used to kill their much larger cousins with sharp sticks and sticks tipped with rocks . HA!

All true .... to a certain extent , for some

Some of us (me) abhorr tag soup and will go to great expense/equipment in order to 100% bring bloody quarters home .... If that means launching an artillery strike at distances most men would never consider .... then fire at will .... as long as it is in the confines of the law, I'm gearing up for success ...

I work 11 1/2 months of the year and hunt moose for two weeks ..., (only 1 week last Sept due to a demanding bldg project & same for season before)

Failure is NOT AN OPTION ......
because I absolutely love moose T-bone steaks on demand through the winter

Some folks go hunting for cameraderie, male bonding (lmao) scenery, getting away from city life and a myriad of other excuses/reasons

I go hunting to get blood on my hands and a pile of meat ! and an opportunity to test a new bullet &/or cartridge just because ...

hope all this makes sense
13221888-15CE-468B-A17D-59E0E55626D3.jpeg
801B2F7C-4CBD-4A69-AED5-A883C1E7BC55.jpeg

48F594D4-9C32-4B6D-8835-AA4D3CB6CEC4.jpeg

All true .... to a certain extent , for some

Some of us (me) abhorr tag soup and will go to great expense/equipment in order to 100% bring bloody quarters home .... If that means launching an artillery strike at distances most men would never consider .... then fire at will .... as long as it is in the confines of the law, I'm gearing up for success ...

I work 11 1/2 months of the year and hunt moose for two weeks ..., (only 1 week last Sept due to a demanding bldg project & same for season before)

Failure is NOT AN OPTION ......
because I absolutely love moose T-bone steaks on demand through the winter

Some folks go hunting for cameraderie, male bonding (lmao) scenery, getting away from city life and a myriad of other excuses/reasons

I go hunting to get blood on my hands and a pile of meat ! and an opportunity to test a new bullet &/or cartridge just because ...

hope all this makes sense
View attachment 328739View attachment 328740

View attachment 328741
Oh I'm like you. I'm not going backwards either. If'/when I make a moose hunt I'll be bringing the 375 Ruger and 300 Rum, not my dad's old first year of production 30-06 Rem 760 still wearing it's original 4x Weaver HA!

I love trophy's but I hunt for meat and hate going to the grocery store especially since it's a hundred mile round trip to the GS from my new home.

got a knobheaded trespasser on my shooting range property, gonna be a legal forkhorn by Sept 1st when his antlers stop growing

tempted to use him for target practice but will call in a kid so he can take his first moose and get severely addicted to moose hunting

I'm a bad, bad influence when it comes to hunting & guns ......
so bad ... that some friends wives, won't let their husbands hang around me, cause the $$$ is spent on guns & not on them, ha

63DC512B-7B3C-4939-B672-C2DBDEED9C82.jpeg

the unit I hunt in has antler restrictions... legal moose = spike or fork on at least one side ... if both sides have 3 or more points, then it is not legal to take .... and we are not talking about "brow" points yet, just a young bull out of fork horn status

all bulls are illegal to shoot beyond forked horn size, all the way up to 50" antler spread ... or antlers must have min. of 3 brow points on at least one side, can be any antler width, but those bulls are rare in the area & you can't take a bull with 49 15/16's inch spread (or less) that only has 2 brow tines (or less) on either side, must have 3 or be 50" or more

so basically your "grow some" & "a little older " idea does not apply here, simply because you can't legally take them ...,

an excited, wide eyed 12 year old kid that has never shot a moose, will be thrilled to shoot a fork horn, I certainly was !

the unit I hunt in has antler restrictions... legal moose = spike or fork on at least one side ... if both sides have 3 or more points, then it is not legal to take .... and we are not talking about "brow" points yet, just a young bull out of fork horn status

all bulls are illegal to shoot beyond forked horn size, all the way up to 50" antler spread ... or antlers must have min. of 3 brow points on at least one side, can be any antler width, but those bulls are rare in the area & you can't take a bull with 49 15/16's inch spread (or less) that only has 2 brow tines (or less) on either side, must have 3 or be 50" or more

so basically your "grow some" & "a little older " idea does not apply here, simply because you can't legally take them ...,

an excited, wide eyed 12 year old kid that has never shot a moose, will be thrilled to shoot a fork horn, I certainly was !
my first whitetail was a spike buck when i was 12 or 13, cant remember exactly. No deer taken since has matched the level of euphoria, excitement, and pride getting that first deer brought. And I can remember how happy my dad was to see me like that...having kids of my own now I understand more. I have no quarrel with trophy hunters so long as they stay well and properly in their own lane minding their own business and not insisting everyone be a trophy hunter.

got a knobheaded trespasser on my shooting range property, gonna be a legal forkhorn by Sept 1st when his antlers stop growing

tempted to use him for target practice but will call in a kid so he can take his first moose and get severely addicted to moose hunting

I'm a bad, bad influence when it comes to hunting & guns ......
so bad ... that some friends wives, won't let their husbands hang around me, cause the $$$ is spent on guns & not on them, ha

...View attachment 385267
Why do you tempt me so bad….🤪 I been hinting to my wife that it is time for me to go moose hunting again but we have a daughter getting married in October n I'm afraid that all my extra change gonna be leaving n all I can do is dream about it this year but by all means get that young lad n make his day!!

I didn't mean to sound harsh honestly. That really seems like some crazy rules there. You can shoot a spike or forkhorn then nothing else is legal until it reaches 50" or 3 brows! So you must have a bunch of in betweeners running around if that's the case. In PA they changed the laws to include antler restrictions. A deer must have at least 3 points on one side (4 in some areas of the state). There are some exclusions for minors. I must say that after a couple years of passing this rule there has been an increase in the number of bigger racked bucks taken. I know I've taken a bunch since its onset.
I hope for your youngster that this bull doesn't go above forkhorn status.