Mountain Rifle for under $1000

This is how I test AL blocks to see if they need more bedding than the lug area. Tighten on the front actions crew, hold down the back of the action in the stock, torque the back action screw and if you see the muzzle move, then I bed it. I roughen the surface with a dermal and sand down any burs made by doing so.

This is how I test AL blocks to see if they need more bedding than the lug area. Tighten on the front actions crew, hold down the back of the action in the stock, torque the back action screw and if you see the muzzle move, then I bed it. I roughen the surface with a dermal and sand down any burs made by doing so.

Is it typically recommended to remove the trigger if you are needing more than the lug area?

Another big fan of the Howa/Vanguard platform. I would not be afraid to shoot at game out to 500 with my 7mm-08 even with it's 20 inch lightweight barrel. Those 160ish grain bullets with their high ballistic coefficient shoot long and flat. It's very handy for this old man to carry too! Most likely critters won't even know that the barrel is a few inches shorter.

Another big fan of the Howa/Vanguard platform. I would not be afraid to shoot at game out to 500 with my 7mm-08 even with it's 20 inch lightweight barrel. Those 160ish grain bullets with their high ballistic coefficient shoot long and flat. It's very handy for this old man to carry too! Most likely critters won't even know that the barrel is a few inches shorter.

Do you have any work done to your howa/weatherby rifles? Trigger? Bedding? Stock?

I can shoot a 1/2 MOA group at 750 yards with my .243 ;) Haven't tried further. Don't expect to shoot deer at 750 yards with a .243 though:D

My Vanguard is the old series 1 style. I did replace the horrible trigger and free float the barrel. I hear the Series 2s are much better in every way. I guess that explains the $200 difference between the one I bought new and the latest versions.

I can shoot a 1/2 MOA group at 750 yards with my .243 ;) Haven't tried further. Don't expect to shoot deer at 750 yards with a .243 though:D

My Vanguard is the old series 1 style. I did replace the horrible trigger and free float the barrel. I hear the Series 2s are much better in every way. I guess that explains the $200 difference between the one I bought new and the latest versions.
Other than the trigger, did you do any other work?

Other than the trigger, did you do any other work?

The triggers aren't bad. I never scaled mine but I bet I got it a bit below 2lbs. I just never got used to the two stage feel and swapped it out for a single stage timney. Now they are making 26" barrels on the vanguards is even more awesome! I replaced my plastic vanguard stock with a boyds. Not the best lightweight option but now it holds a zero and I've shot 1.5" groups at 400 with it. With a bell and Carlson you would only need to bed it and be good to go!

The triggers aren't bad. I never scaled mine but I bet I got it a bit below 2lbs. I just never got used to the two stage feel and swapped it out for a single stage timney. Now they are making 26" barrels on the vanguards is even more awesome! I replaced my plastic vanguard stock with a boyds. Not the best lightweight option but now it holds a zero and I've shot 1.5" groups at 400 with it. With a bell and Carlson you would only need to bed it and be good to go!

Bed only the recoil lug since it has an aluminum bed built into the stock?

Bed only the recoil lug since it has an aluminum bed built into the stock?

That would work, but I would also bed the first 1" of barrel. And bed two points on the rear tang

Tape the parallel sides of the square ridge along bottom of action and the front of the recoil lug. Then I would bed from the lug to 1" of barrel. I would also bed two points at the rear tang to help center action in the stock but put a strip of black tape around the rear of tang so recoil pressure is on the lug.

That would work, but I would also bed the first 1" of barrel. And bed two points on the rear tang

Tape the parallel sides of the square ridge along bottom of action and the front of the recoil lug. Then I would bed from the lug to 1" of barrel. I would also bed two points at the rear tang to help center action in the stock but put a strip of black tape around the rear of tang so recoil pressure is on the lug.

Thanks for the recommendation. I may try bedding the front lug and 1" of the barrel and then shoot to see what the results are. If I can get 3/4" grouping at 100 yards (with factory loads or hand loads) I'll be happy!

If ur wanting a 6.5 cm I would check out a sako a7 roughtech, comes with a b&c stock and stainless fluted barrel. Better trigger than the vanguards.
I got mine down 1.75lbs and it breaks nicely.
Although the .257 wby in the backcountry would be wicked!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.