Best optics for under 1000 dlrs?

I have a Vortex PST and the it was under your price and it is a great scope. I have a couple Sightrons, a Zeiss Conquest and a Nightforce. The PST compares well with the Nightforce plus it has zero stop. I have the MOA model in FFP and I really like it so far.
It is on my deer/antelope rifle and have proved to be very repeatable. I bought it from Scot at Liberty Optics. Nice guy and great service.

I have seen the leupold longerange target 8.5-25x50 under 1k. It's not he mark4. I understand that the target models have more elevation and windage adjustment than the mark-4

I have many different brands of scopes. To stay in your price range, go look at the Vortex. I think for the price they are very hard to beat.

PST gets my vote as well. Been looking at the Viper HS coming soon for one of my rifles too.

I really, really, really wanted the PST 4-16x50 because on paper it ticked all my boxes and then some. But I have read too many reports now that the glass is not that hot, especially when compared to the PST 6-24x50. You can google search for reviews, but here's one against several scopes:

Field Test: Weaver 3-15 vs. Vortex PST 4-16 & 6-24 - Sniper's Hide Forums

I'm not running down anyone's decision to buy it because it is a fine scope and may meet a lot of people's needs... but as glass was important to me, I went with the new Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 ffp mil/mil illuminated emdr. There are several articles that state that the glass in this scope is stunning for a sub $1k scope. The only thing it is missing is some sort of zero stop like the PST.

If the next generation of the PST 4-16 is better, I'll be all over it. Otherwise, I'll probably just buy a NF scope.

I have two 6.5-20x50 Zeiss Conquests and I like them a lot. Very clear, clicks are consistent and repeatable. Only 60 minutes of elevation but with a 20" cut, that is plenty.....Rich

The falcon menace gas alot to offer for the price.

It's funny you mention that one. You never heard much hype on them except when they first hit the market a couple years ago. I've heard they were a heck of a bargain. I wanted to get one, but didn't have the funds at the time. I still wouldn't hesitate should I have the need for one.

Tank

I own 6 Burris scopes and the 6x-24x-50 Black Diamond has my vote. It has clear glass and I have been able to see .338 bullet holes at 500 yds on white cardboard. If I can find a 8x-32 Blk. Dia. at a good price I will replace the 6-24 and then maybe build another rifle to put that on. :D

Tarey

I guess I'm about the same age and experience as you Long Ranger - I have visited the Hide a few times but haven't seen any reason to be a regular. Way too many guys over there that I refer to as "KEYBOARD COMMANDOES".

Amen to both Long Ranger and Cowboy. I use to be on the Hide, but once I found LRH I rarely go back. Only if someone responds to one of my threads, and that doesn't happen much anymore. I think I've been black balled for berating people for talking to much about barrel burners. Ha ha.

Probably a rip off but since I haven't seen it I can't comment.
I can assure you, when you actually do see one in the flesh and spend some time with it you will come away with a polar opposite opinion. Unless one wants a radically different size/weight, power range or SFP, nothing under $1000 even comes close to touching it. There's not really anything better under $2000 for that matter, all things considered.

PICT0419.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.