Best 300 rum under $1000

I'd second the police model. I have the 700 police in 7mag. It shoots sub 3/4" with most box ammo from 140-162's and a 175grn load I tried. I have used the load my brother's 7rm likes which is 70.5 Retumbo 215 and 162amax 3.5loa and it went into a hole. I'm sure if I take some time I could have a few different loads shooting sub1/2moa way out there. This one has the model 40 trigger I believe.
If you go new that Browning has alot more going for it than the 700's mentioned. The adjustable stock and brake/threaded barrel save you 4-500 right off the bat.

That police special mentioned a few posts ago sounds great!

I was going to suggest another approach. Buy a used push feed model 70. They are inexpensive and have the added feature of quick and easy field stripping of the bolt. I used a push feed model 70 that was a used 300 win mag. Added an aftermarket barrel and even had a custom reamer made for it. Added a Wyatt's mag box. Factory trigger was tuned and it was placed into a McMillan hunter stock and set up with a blind magazine. It didn't cost much and has been a great elk killing rifle. No brake for this 8 1/2 lb package. Use 230 gr bergers @ 2850 fps to mash elk flat. Recoil is stout but okay without a brake.

T/C compass , add aftermarket trigger spring for $20 bucks , and your $350 or so in and spend the rest on optics. I've shot several from 204 to 300 WM that all shot sub moa with factory ammo. When your budget allows sell it or keep for back up and upgrade.

Talk to Ryan Pierce at Piercision Rifles. He can build you a custom .30 caliber that will shoot lights out.

T/C compass , add aftermarket trigger spring for $20 bucks , and your $350 or so in and spend the rest on optics. I've shot several from 204 to 300 WM that all shot sub moa with factory ammo. When your budget allows sell it or keep for back up and upgrade.
They do not chamber 300 Ultra Mag

Hey guys looking to buy a new rifle in 300 RUM. I like the looks of the Remington AWR but hard to find good reviews on the caliber. I prefer Ruger but not gonna be able to find one it doesn't appear. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm glad you posted this, I'm looking for the same rig/caliber for an oryx hunt next fall. Let's see what this group can come up with.

Lots of people talking about Remington. I'd have a hard time paying 1k for a rifle that needs a trigger and a muzzle brake. Plus I simply don't like the design of the sendero stock or the weight of the rifle.

I'd look hard at the Browning hells canyon or tikka or begara if they chamber the rum.

I hate to ask but are you dead set on the rum? I owned one in a sako 75 many years ago and while i regret selling such a fine rifle it was way more than needed. IMO-the cost of ammo, recoil, muzzle blast and barrel life doesn't justify the gain in velocity.

It's not near as sexy but the good ole 300 wm almost anything the rum will do, has tons of quality loaded ammo and is a dream to load for. If you want sexy you could look into the 30 nos and 300 prc.

My greatest complaint with the rum is if you hand load you will want to add a wyatts extended mag box. This is barely long enough to work but is an improvement. Again, if looking at a rum in Remington your now talking about a trigger, brake and wyatts box. That puts you at low custom money.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.