Mountain Rifle for under $1000

timberelk

Hello,

Looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in a 270 win with a 24" fluted barrel and comes in a B&C stock for $750 ish. It comes in at about 6.75lbs

Also looking at a 6.5 creedmoor sportsmans warehouse exclusive KUIU Vias Weatherby Vanguard with a 26" cerkoted barrel, radial break and B&C stock at 7.8lbs for around $850

Or a buy a standard Howa Barreled Action 22" in 6.5 Creed for around $450 plus $280 for a B&C weatherby style stock for a total weight of about 7.25lbs

The scope I already bought is a Luepold VX-2 4-12x40 AO with the CDS dial. The reticle is the wind Plex

Personally I like the howa / weatherby action because from what I've read it is very accurate and safe in case of a reloading mishap (I will be getting into reloading shortly and despite being extremely careful with reloading, I'd like to have as many safeties as I can)

Want your guys opinions on the above options and please only recommend other guns if you know they are much better than the above options.

I'll be looking to hunt out to 600 ish yards and shoot out to 1000 yards

Last edited:
Vanguards shoot great, but they are a bit on the heavy side. For a true mountain rifle, i'd look for something under 7 lbs bare.

Tikka and Kimber are about impossible to beat right out of the box. Just my 2 cents of advice.

Tikka has some great reviews but I refuse to buy one because personally I think they are the ugliest gun manufactured (why own a gun that you don't completely like?). Kimbers are nice and I really wanted one but I've herd a lot of hit or miss accuracy.

Can we please focus on the guns I've mentioned above? I've put a lot of thought into all gun availed and have narrowed it down to those three options

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see the new Blaser M18 for 699.00 . Not sure when they will be available, looking at the 6.5 creedmoor myself.

Some folks have good luck with Tikka. I had one and it must have been a lemon. Also, Beretta has left a bad impression with me.

Kimber is also a good choice, but there are a few folks that would disagree. I had one in 308 that was a good shooter.

Beretta is going to introduce the new Sako and tikka rifles this week . You can sigh up for the live show , I already have.

I have a TC Venture in 30-06. It has a Weaver 3-10 Tactical on it. I run it to 1000 yards on steel, so it's plenty accurate. It's about 8 pounds loaded. Every time I pick it up, I notice how light it is.
Good thing is, I can beat it up and not be disgusted by all the scratches.
I think I would do a 300 Win mag in that rifle for a mountain rig.

Hello,

Looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in a 270 win with a 24" fluted barrel and comes in a B&C stock for $750 ish. It comes in at about 6.75lbs

I'd look hard at one of these if it were me.
I have 3 Vanguards in 270, and they're all shooters.

I also bed them, and float the barrel.

I like my old Vanguard once bedded and free floated as well. Best out of the box shooting gun I own. For almost the same price, I would go with a Kimber Hunter. The Kimber actions are built from the ground up to be light and has good features.

You could replace the bottom metal of the vanguard with a plastic DBM to save a bit of weight but it will still be a whole pound heavier than the Kimber.

I'd look hard at one of these if it were me.
I have 3 Vanguards in 270, and they're all shooters.

I also bed them, and float the barrel.

The wilderness has a full aluminum bed, would you still bed it? If so, how would you go about it? Remove/sand down some of the aluminum?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.