Consistent rifle for 1000-1500+

JeffRaines

Hey guys,

Feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

So I'm looking to get into the LR thing. Hunting and shooting. I'd probably keep any shots on animals as close as possible but WITH PRACTICE I'd like to be comfortable stretching it out if the conditions are optimal.

Ive been shooting long enough to know that a lot of consistency at range is going to be in the load and bullet, and a hell of a lot in the shooter. I know the rifle and optic play a large part too. I'm looking to buy a new rifle for this purpose, I just don't want to shell out the money and end up with something that holds me back... at the same time I also don't want to spend too much if it isn't needed.

My my budget is as high as the CA ELR, however that's really pushing it. I'm looking factory due to not needing to find a smith/wait 6+ months for the rifle to be built.

Ive had my hands on a few CAs so far. The Mesa, Mesa LR and Ridgeline. I can't find a ELR locally, but it's in the running as well.

I liked the Ridgeline and Mesa LR. The Mesa is HEAVY though. The scope I want to put on is gonna be around 24oz, so I'm budgeting 2lbs for scope and rings. Ideally I'd like to keep the rifle under 10lbs.

id like to hear from some people who have shot these distances with said rifles and can comment on them. Like I mentioned before, I know that the complete package(load bullet shooter gun and optics) is what matters, I just don't want to buy something that's gonna hold me back. If I could get said consistency with the Mesa or Ridgeline, then that would save me some cash. But I don't want to spend the money and then be sitting here wishing I would've spent a little more because it's holding me back.

Im also set on 300wm.

Im also open to other suggestions, please share any experiences you have.

Thanks in advance.

Another consideration is the Remington 700 Mil-Spec. It's an off-catogue offering that typically delivers accuracy in the sub-.5MOA range and nicely balanced for LR. Given, you are looking to perfect your LR shooting skills, I would probably go a couple of pounds heavier in barrel weight for the added stability. The Varmint contour on the Milspec, IMO, is a good weight that is not overbearing to carry and handle. It has a well bedded HS Precision stock and would provide a nice platform for a custom barrel upgrade in the future. The only upgrade to consider would be a better trigger. Mine comes in a shade over 13# with a 2# Nighforce scope and steel rings. Shown below is my Milspec banging an old bucket at 1446 yards. My 200gr Hornady ELD-X hand loads produce sub .5MOA 10 1000+ yards.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/42393/redirect

BAC782D4-1606-46AF-B546-36417053E7EA.jpeg 02ED115A-7C30-4729-8BDC-75D0D741897A.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.