Sharps Rifle.....1500 yard kill?

Dixon was the kind of guy that, when others came back from hide hunting, they hit the bars, Dixon went shooting. The official number was 1538 yards and Dixon himself said that it was a "scratch shot" or as we call it: a lucky shot. Thing is, the more you practice, the luckier you seem to get. I think Billy would have fit right in here at LRH.

BS GALORE....on the 1760 yard video! That's Dave Gullo....owner of Buffalo Arms Co. in Sandpoint, Idaho! He's shooting at a buff target at Raton, New Mexico and the distance was just a tat over 1100 yards! Very doable with a good rifle/load and a good shooter like Dave!!

BS GALORE....on the 1760 yard video! That's Dave Gullo....owner of Buffalo Arms Co. in Sandpoint, Idaho! He's shooting at a buff target at Raton, New Mexico and the distance was just a tat over 1100 yards! Very doable with a good rifle/load and a good shooter like Dave!!

I thought it has been re-established on my response to Kevin.

Kevin,

The first time I saw this video the claim was 1760 yards. However, I read some of the posts that accompanied the video and says ...

"Its a 45-100 sharps and that's Dave Gullo the actual Range is 1123 yards at Raton NM."

You're right ... and an amazing shot nonetheless.

Ed

That fight happened at Adobe Walls (Dixon later homesteaded on that sight).
About two weeks after that day an Army survey crew came out and measured the shot and it was true...almost a mile 1749 yards or some such.

Later, an Indian who was reportedly there, said that the shot knocked the guy off his horse but didn't kill him.
I recall reading about an interview with Billy Dixon when he was quite old. He stated the indian he hit wasnt the one he was aiming at. He also states it was the luckies shot he ever made and the unluckiest indian he ever met.

.45-70 at Two Miles: The Sandy Hook Tests of 1879
by W. John Farquharson
:D

Put that in your search engine and enter it!!!

Be honest with you people, I'm a swamp hunter hanging out in a long range forum, but sumbitch give the devil his due... open sights at that range, man was an ARTISTE!! That being said, had he missed, who the hell would be remember him in 2013???:)

Dave's shots on that target even at 11xx yards were incredible. Did a lot of BPCR shooting years back, and I think the giveaway in the video that it's not as long as stated in the post is the elevation of the rear aperture. A mile shot would likely need to be a lot taller than the one shown on the rifle. IMHO.

In my opinion ,With Any long shot a certain amount of luck is involved.

You have to know the distance or make a perfect guess, you have to read the wind Perfectly,
you have to know the drop at that distance Perfectly, Altitude,humidity, temperature,spin drift,
Coriolis, and in addition you have to be a very good marksman with consistent skills.

It is great when all things come together and a perfect hit is made, But in the back of your mind you think "**** that was Luck" but very few will admit it.

I do believe that shot can be made on purpose, But not the first shot every time.

I have 3 45s in 45/70, 45/110 and 45/120 and know they are accurate, Could I pull of a one mile
shot? probably not. But in the hands of a good marksman and with the right conditions, I do believe
it could/can be done.

I am amazed at the accuracy of the big 16'' guns of a battle ship with the ability to hit a house at 18
miles With one shot from a moving ship. Socould Billy Dixon pull of a shot like that? As he said with, luck "YES" .

Big projectiles are very predictable as we all know and with the big 45 bullets (500 to 650 grains
normally) they will surprise you how accurate they can be.

There are guys on this site that pull off shots that I would,t try. But that doesn't meen they didn,t
and most will admit that there was some luck involved.

Some people can,t resist adding a few yards to an already good shot instead of be happy with the
shot it,s self.

Just my opinion for what it,s worth.

J E CUSTOM

very good shooting. Mythbusters also said it wasn't possible to shoot through a rifle scope like Carlos Hathcock did. now keep in mind during that episode they were shooting full length scopes not the short 1960's PU scope that was shot through.
The show sniper in the cross hairs proved that it could be done. i believe the Mythbusters should leave certain things alone. they are very good at blowing up cement trucks and front end loaders. Would love to get a .45-110 or .45-120 would be lots of fun

very good shooting. Mythbusters also said it wasn't possible to shoot through a rifle scope like Carlos Hathcock did. now keep in mind during that episode they were shooting full length scopes not the short 1960's PU scope that was shot through.
The show sniper in the cross hairs proved that it could be done. i believe the Mythbusters should leave certain things alone. they are very good at blowing up cement trucks and front end loaders. Would love to get a .45-110 or .45-120 would be lots of fun
Saw an episode where a couple of the resident goofballs tried to split a .50 ball on a axe head from, I think 25 yards. After multiple failures, they figured it couldn't be done. Great fun for the kids to watch, not sure how much truth comes out.........

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.