Most memorable shot

jimm:

For me any really memorable shot/s involve hunting partners or someone else. I've just always found things more memorable and enjoyable when done with others. One of my most memorable shots was one that, thankfully, I didn't fire.

Shots can be memorable for many reasons but one I'll never ever forget happened one night when about 6 of us were sleeping in an old log cabin on the back side of a friends property in the northern part of the state. I was about 15 at the time and we were hunting whitetails late in the season.

The old cabin had an old pot bellied stove in it for heat and when it was totally dark you could see some small holes in it that let a little bit of light out into the room. It was kind of like a little mini northern lights show.

One of the guys there that night by the name of John had gotten cold and had stoked the stove up a little, around 2:00 a.m., and hadn't gotten back to sleep yet. Now mind you, ol' John did some weird things at times and I had always thought he wasn't really the brightest bulb in the string. He picked 2:00 in the morning to pull another one out of his bag of "tricks".

Seems that, according to what he told us later, he saw either a rat, a squirrel, or something about that size walking around in the cabin. This evidently was more than he could stand. The bad thing was that ol' John happened to be sleeping next to where some of the guns had been leaned up in the corner, and one of them was his. About the only good thing I can think of is that the stove was against one wall and John at least waited until the rat was by the stove and not between a couple of sleeping bags. Evidently, without thinking, ol' John thought the rat needed to die at that very moment.

In a pitch dark log cabin, about 12'x15' at the most, in the small streaks of light being emitted by the old pot bellied stove, ol' John drew a bead on that rat with his 300 Savage, while all of the rest of us were sleeping, and tripped the trigger when his target got into one of the small beams of light coming from the stove.

After all was said and done we never did find the rat but we did find that 6 guys can come out of a dead sleep, and their sleeping bags, thrashing and fighting each other, thinking the world had just come to an end. I think it took about 5 minutes for everybody to calm down and it took a little longer than that to convince everyone that we shouldn't string up a rope and lynch ol' John. Someone got the lantern lit and the room looked like a bomb had gone off. Sleeping bags, clothes, boots and just about everything in the cabin were scattered around like the jolly green giant had picked the cabin up and shook it.

The next day it seemed kinda funny, but at 2:00 in the morning the only thing funny was that nobody had a heart attack. For the rest of that trip someone always made sure no guns were within reach of where John was sleeping. One more late night varmint hunt and that 100 year old cabin would probably have been destroyed.

It's kind of strange how we tend to forget some really memorable things until something like this refreshes our memory. The videos in my head are replaying the mountain goat standing broadside, taking 3 shots as I lay prone across a small log, and the blood running down the white hair, while he never even flinched. I can see a big 6 point bull elk taking three 338 win mag 200 grain slugs at 90 yards before he finally stayed down. I can see the deer I shot this past season and how everything seemed to go into slow motion at the shot as he dropped his hind end and came over backwards in slow motion. It'll take me an hour or two to get all of the images replayed in my mind but again, thanks for helping me remember. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ahhh there you are Grimmer man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks , I realize that after your surgery tha t may have been a tough type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but you can handle it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm sitting here just wondering , out of all the folks here this is all the " memorable shot " stories we can get ?

Roy is not going to give his coon dog story unless yall cough up some more , please !
Besides that, I promised one more ( you will all enjoy calling me a liar on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

I am convinced that many have experienced shots that go outside the " norm " . So ....................share them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OK , I said I would so I will,

Back in the b.c. days ( before children /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) My wife and I had quite a few horses and rode on a regular basis .

One day a friend of mine and I were riding and of course we were in our " wannabe cowboy mode " that is to say we had on boots ,jeans and hats . Due to lack of funds our firearms were not very supportive of our roleplaying . He had a ruger 22 auto and I was sporting a nickel plated "Saturday night special" in .38 cal with a 2" bbl. Hey ! it was my stepfathers and it had more firepower than my H&R 22 revolver . I had even faashioned a leather holster and was wearing it on a long belt and tied down on my mid thigh .

Well after a long ride we found ourselves walking single file across a levee on mom and Docs place . Tall willows grew along the levee and slightly overhung the levee.

I was in front and was slouching in the saddle letting Grayboy pick his way back to the barn when a redwing blackbird bailed out of the top of a willow about 5 yards in front of me trilling as he went . Without thought the revolver was drawn and fired as it cleared the holster .( I had been shooting off my horse for some time and he simply stopped walking when I would shoot )

The bird exploded !!( my only experience with wadcutters and blackbirds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) . Without looking back at my friend I holstered my pistol and kept riding . After a few feet he spoke and said " I don't want to hear it " and of course I didn' speak of it for years .

Jim B.

Loved the old John story, my wife was staring at me like I'm crazy wile the laptop jumped in my lap as I belly laughed. Great story!

Missouri gun season 2003 opening day I was hunting out of a tripod stand set in the middle of a terraced CRP grass area. The grass was head high, but with the terraces and the elevation from the stand the view was pretty good. I had seen about 12 or so does that day but had not shot since I was waiting for a good buck. These deer were coming from neighboring farms after being spooked.

At noon I spotted a buck coming through the grass. Through my scope I could see that he was mature but his rack was mostly broken off. I didn't want to shoot him with the 3006AI, but though that he would make a mighty fine trophy for my Blackhawk .41 Mag. About the time I got the hogleg out, he decided to bed down and I couldn't see him due to the high grass. I kept watch on that spot and an hour and a half later he stood up, revealing only his head. I carefully rested the revolver across the railing of the tripod and aimed at his head--he was looking at me now. Squeeeeeze the trigger, Sam. The .41 cracked and the buck dropped out of sight! I made my way over there and discovered that my bullet had taken him right between the eyes! I lasered back to the stand and came up with 68 yds.

Not exactly long range but I thought it was pretty good for an open sighted revolver and a small target. This big boy had broken off his main beams a couple of inches in front of the brows, and had part of one G2 left. When I skinned him he had bruises and punctures all over his neck and the front of his chest. I would like to meet the buck that did the damage!

A long time ago my father and I were floating down the river fishing and shooting the occational squirrel. He spotted one very far, I only saw it because it ran across a limb and stopped. He told me to take a crack at it, no small feat from a moving boat. After the sound of the .22lr A-Bolt had subsided my father said "Too far" and I had time to reply "Yeah" before we heard the bullet smack the Fox squirrel and see it fall. Upon retrieving it and throwing it to my dad a perfectly mushroomed CCI bullet fell into the boat from the head where it had failed to penetrate all the way through.

Ok,,, One More,

Back in my early teens, the prices for pelts were up pretty fair around our place in the country. So being the interprising young folks that we were, my bud and I decided to start bringing is some extra cash. We had a ton of coons around our place and we found that some sweet corn on a piece of plywood would draw them right out into the open just after dark. This made them easy targets for our .22's.

WEll one particular cold rainy evening, my pop decided to drive us around in the truck verses, us having all the fun ourselves. So off we went with a spotlight out both windows. It wasn't to far into the back pasture we spotted several sets of eyes headed up a big oak tree and pop gunned it. When we got there we found that one was a huge old boar coon and he had situated himself right in the fork of a big limb. Well pop is about 20 yds away shining the light and telling me to shoot it in the head. Easier said than done when you really can't see just whats, what, however the old coon gave me a break and looked up. I saw the underside of his throat and squeezed. WEll there was no doubt that I hit him as he comes tumbling down through about 20 feet or so of branches, and hits the ground with a resounding thud. However he wasn't quite down for the count. Ol pop grabbed him up by the tail and back to live he comes. So as anyone would do in this situation he dropps him immediately and steps back. WEll my bud is now holding the light, and pop is hollering for me to grab a hammer from the back of the truck and finish him off. So I grab the hammer, and hand it to him as I am still toting the rifle looking for the others up in the tree. I hear a blood curdling scream only to look and see the big coon has latched ahold of pop's coverall leg. He always wore those old cotton coveralls just about everywhere.

Well needless to say, my bud and I were immediately hysterical in laughter, which made holding either of the spotlights still nearly impossible. HE is hollering and screaming and trying to knock the thing off with the hammer, and screaming for us to come help and hold the light on it. all the while doing a jig that would have made Jed Clampet proud. We, were pretty much useless at this point, and he finially did make contact and dispatched the old coon.

In the aftermath and clearing the tears from our eyes, we noticed that his coverall leg was pretty bloody, and got very concerned. However, after looking the coon and pop over, we found that is wasn't all pops blood as we had thought.

The initial shot had hit the coon right at the base of the lower jaw and gone through the upper section effectively breaking both halves. THe coon was trying as best he could to chew up pops leg but with both halves broken he didn't accomplish anything. However his claws on the other hand did make a pretty good impression on the inside of his leg.

I have to say, I sure miss ol pop and all the things we did together. He passed 20 years ago this month. and as has been mentioned, the films are still as clear as they were that cold rainy night.

Re: Ok,,, One More,

Daaang !!

They just keep getting better !

Really guys, they are all as they should be , marvelous stories of the past , real and very enjoyable .

Please , don't miss this opportunity to tell us how it was ! And slow typing don't count as an alibi cause I type with two fingers ( I'll tell you a secret about how to beat Roy or SS7mm alias
Dick , just email me me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

C'mon ! cough 'em up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and Roy may give us the m.o.a.s ( mother of all stories ) at the end

Jim B.

When I was 15 I was hunting in SW Idaho for mule deer with my dad. We hiked into this draw that was straight up on both sides and covered top to bottom in manzanita. My dad asked me how bad I wanted to kill something; I replied baaaaad!
He sent me into the brush crawling, scratching,fighting my way through the taller than I tangled brush (only knowing which way was up cause I couldn't see a thing) to the top of the ridge. When I reached the ridge I walked along the top edge of the brush throwing huge rocks into the maze below as we worked our way down the draw.I jumped a nice 4 pt that I could see about every third jump so a shot was impossible.
I ran down the ridge to get to an opening and waited for the buck to emerge. He busted out of the brush about a hundred mph and was headed down and away from me at about a 60 degree angle. One shot from my 270 and he dropped in a skidding pile to the creek bed in the bottom of the draw. I raced to the bottom as excited as a teenage boy could be.
I arrived about the same time as my dad and found the buck to be very alive but unable to get his feet due to having the knee joint blown out on one hind and the opposite front leg. In a moment of brilliance my dad grabbed the buck by the antlers and said slit his throat while I hold him! That little extra support was all the buck needed to regain his feet and he had enough drive to run my dad up and down the creek bottom for about 20 min, all the while my dad screaming at the top of his lungs...SHOOT HIM, SHOOT HIM!!!
I couldn't shoot for fear of hitting my dad and because I was rolling on the ground in tears from the sight of this weird dance. I finally got a knife blade into the throat and all this did was add blood spraying all over the place to the picture. What seemed like an hour later the buck finally gave his last tango and lay quiet in the creek, my dad was covered head to toe in sweat, mud, and blood from the ordeal. I gutted the buck fighting back the laughter that was shared by the whole family when we finally got back to camp and recited the whole story over again.
To this day I still laugh out loud when I see the mental picture of the little buck running my dad from here to there in that creek bottom and him screaming SHOOT HIM, SHOOT HIM!. Though I miss my dad the memories of him and growing up hunting and fishing in Idaho with him will always bring a smile to my face or a laugh from my gut.

Quote " If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough "

[image]
Lazzeroni.gif
[/image]

That was hilarious , thanks , Jim B.

My best long range memory came last april when I first started in this crazy, and expensive, game. Me and BJ were shooting at our homemade range at a 1' square gong at 675yds. I was shooting my factory savage 22-250 with 55gr BT's.
After figuring the nearly absent wind I was able to land 7 out of 10 shots on the gong back to back. I was feeling cocky so I told BJ that I was gonna cut the thin rope that held the gong up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I settled my cross hairs on the thin line and tripped the trigger. I saw the bullet impact the tree just behind the line, extremely close.
I had one bullet left and I told BJ i would try it again just for the hell of it. As the trigger broke I eyed the gong and saw the bullet splash directly in the knot of the line.
The gong fell to earth and I couldnt stop laughing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

ALong with this would have to be when I killed my first 1000yd plus pdog. After I made that shot I felt like I had just one a gold medal or something.

Hell of a fun hobby

take it easy
steve

ive got another one, but i did not make this shot, but it is probably the best shot i have ever seen!

back before my dad and i knew what we were doing ( had decent gear) my dad carried a old OLD remington model 721 in .270 with a old weaver fixed 4 power scope. we still have this gun and it is my favorite gun, it shoots federal 140 accubonds in dime size groups! not bad for being about 60 years old and beat all to hell! anyways, its opening morning of whitetail season here in Arizona. my dad and i say we will be back before 8am with a buck ( im to young to hunt so im carrying my trusty BB run) well about a mile out of camp, this little forky jumps up from down hill of us about 250 yards and just starts haulin the mail, i mean dead sprint and these little suckers are fast!! in one quick, swift movement, my dad takes the 270, gets the buck in his sight and squeezes the trigger! the buck doesnt take another step and falls out of mid air like he was struck by lightning! when we get down to the buck, my dad had severed his spine and because the shot was so steep downward, taken out one lung and part of the rib cage. and yes, we were back in camp by 8am! that is probably the best shot i have ever seen!

well, besides me shooting a hummingbird out of the air with my BBgun when i was like 7.

My dad and I were hunting whitetails in the palouse country of Wa. one day. We decided to drive to the back of a wheatfield to an eyebrow that usually held deer to check it out. When we pulled up to the top of the eyebrow, I caught something come busting out of the bottom of the eyebrow. Were talking about 200-250 of elevation change. What I saw was a very nice big yote'. He was running full out accross the bottom of the draw which was in winter wheat at the time. He was around 300 yards running full tilt, left to right and about 250 ft. lower in elevation. I jumped out of the jeep, grabbed my model 88 winchaser 243, jammed the clip home and took a bead on the yote'. Just for the fun of it I held about 3 ft. in front of him, and kept my swing as if I were shooting a passing duck, and touched 'er off. The yote' tumbled like he had been hit by a truck, rolled once and jumped back up and took off around the hill full steam. I looked at my dad in disbelief. He returned the look. We walked on up the eyebrow to where we could see up the draw that the yote' disappeared in, and there he was, piled up not 20 yards from where I rolled him. Later, I went and took a close up look just to see where I had hit him. The bullet struck him just behind the shoulder and hammered both lungs and the heart. My dad said that was the best shot he had ever seen....not too long after that he passed away from cancer....I'll always remeber that shot, just for the simple fact that it was one of last times I got to hunt with my dad, and he was proud of hunter he had raised....

The same buddy of mine from my previous memorable shot story did this memorable shot. We always hunt ground squirrel during off season to hone our shooting skill. The shot were usually long and we missed a lot because squirrel doesn't gave you that much target to begin with in the first place. We were just begining to warmed up shooting at squirrel at around 200 to 300 yards when all of a sudden one came out and presented itself at a laser distance of 475 yards.It was my buddy's turn to shoot so I spotted for him. He was shooting his 243 Remington Varminter loaded with 87 grain Hornady HPBT Match. At the shot, I saw the dust exploded right in front of the squirrel.When the dust settled, I saw the squirrel twirling around and tip-toing obiously not a solid hit. I even told my buddy that I think he just splashed the squirrel with dirt."No way he said. I think I nicked him". Meanwhile, the squirrel still keep on twirling around while me and my buddy were arguing about whether he nicked the squirrel or not when all of the sudden here comes Wiley Coyote looking for an easy meal. The coyote went after the wounded squirrel when by buddy dispatched him with one will place shot behind the shoulder. The coyote went down without much of a flinch.It turned out that my buddy did hit the squirrel in the front leg just slighty below the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.