most accurate rife

bowedark

Look to up grade some of my rifes. So what would be the most accurate rife out of the box for less then $1300?

Scope would be not include in the $1300. I don't want to get in a cartridge debate. I think of along the line of the Sendero,Wby Mark 5?,the Wby Van sub moa also the Browning or any gun makers.

Sendero would be my pick. You might be able to get a Mark V accumark for under $1,300. Savage makes a good rifle from what I hear but I'm not a fan personally. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Good Luck!

Last edited:
sendero would be my choice.
my shooting buddy has one in 300 win mag that shoots great
Mine is a 7mm mag. Im still woking my loads up trying to get out to at least 1000 yards so far i have a 160 accubond and a 168 berger load both shot under 1/2 moa out to 500 yards the berger shoot one hole at 100.
great guns:D

Last edited:
Man, you are poking a stick in the Hornets nest with this question. So I'll sting ya!:D I am a firm believer in Savage rifles. Anytime this question comes up, you can chase all of my posts and find that I promote, Savage, then Howa, then something else. The reason I go in this order is affordability, quality of action, and accuracy out of the box with little or no work to the rifle. Price is just that... PRICE! You can buy the most expensive rifle in the world and not be able to shoot near as well as some under priced jalopy that isn't bought because of prejudice. Chances are the most expensive rifle in the world is a laser beam with pin point accuracy, but I hope you follow me.

I have yet to see either the Howa or the Savage prove me wrong. Yes sometimes there is a lemon, but that happens with any rifle manufacturer. From posts on here there are more and more guys complaining about the lack of QC from Remington. Would I buy another Remington.... maybe, but an older model to build off of for a custom. The Vanguard Weatherby is often suggested... guess what action they use for that rifle? It is a Howa M1500. You can only do better with the Mark V, but then you still need some smithing to really make it meet its potential.

So there is lies the question. Do you want out of the box performance? Or do you want a semi-custom or full custom rig? For semi custom, look for the Savage/Stevens (target action or hunting repeaters. equally strong and very capable), Mark V, Howa, Vanguard, Winchester, or Remington. Another option that is very affordable and will help you build a really nice custom is the Stevens action (Savage Action). Put a new trigger on it, custom barrel, aftermarket stock, custom bottom metal, and custom trigger. New rifle for around $1000 or less. Depending if you do it yourself which is very doable with Savage/Stevens products or a smith building it for you.

Yet another option is using the Savage Target action and getting high dollar quality in a production action that has proven itself. So that is my thoughts. My nod would go to the Mod 12 series and Mod 11/111 series Savage. The Law enforcement Savage line also has some really nice equipment.

Tank

Last edited:
Savage just offers so many pluses, it is hard to ignore in my opinion too. Great job on your build there too Joseph! I am going to build a 260 with the Savage TA soon with HV 28' Benchmark barrel or a Brux.

Well I'm with the rest of the folks. My most accurate rifles all happen to be Savage with one Stevens thrown in for fun. I have one in.223 1/4" groups at 100 yds., .308 1/2" groups at 300 yds. another .308 shoots 1/4 at 200 yds., another .308 116 in .308 1/2" groups at 100 yds., and a Stevens in 7 mm Rem. Mag shoots 5/8" groups at 150 yds. All out of the box with what most folks would call junk scopes but they work for me and guess that's what counts. Looking at getting that new Savage in .338 and not even worried that it will be a shooter. But like I said this is what works for me your mileage may very but for they are great rifles.

I look at it like buying brass. The quality lots will have less duds but, that does not mean you can't cull some really good ones.

Sako
T/C icon
Weatherby....

And u won't have to guess.

I look at it like buying brass. The quality lots will have less duds but, that does not mean you can't cull some really good ones.

Sako
T/C icon
Weatherby....

And u won't have to guess.

I agree. That is why I shoot Savage's these days. I have no time for sub standard accuracy. Every once is a great moon, there is one that won't shoot, but thankfully those seem to be few and far in between. Savage CS is great too, if ever needed!

I also had Kevin Rayhill build me a 7mmWSM,and it is a shooter!1/2 moa 600+ yds.,i couldn't be happier with the rifle.

There are so many good options. You really can't go wrong with Sako, they are top notch. Tikka is also great however they only come in short little barrels so if you like a longer barrel those are out right off the top. The weatherby vanguard gets a lot of praise, I dont know much about them, but I am not a weatherby fan or a Howa fan which makes the action for the vanguard. Some of them are supposed to be real shooters though. The Icon is supposed to be great too. Then there is savage which in my opinion is taking the production gun industry to a whole new level. years ago many people wouldnt touch a savage including me. But they are getting down to buisness. They are all minimum head space, nice barrels great triggers and now with the accustock They are a great option. You can get a accustock savage for 6 to 800 dollars which wont need bedded or you can spend the same amount maybe more on a remington and it night need bedded and floated. Remington is one of my favorites though because there is so much aftermarket stuff for them and if you get one that doesn't shoot good you can always make it shoot good. To answer your question I would choose a Sako, Savage accustock model like the 111 long range hunter or a scendero, in that order.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.