Most accurate .30 cal, 200 gr. + HUNTING bullet??

Litehiker

Berger has great shooting 230 gr. Tactical Hybrid bullets in .30 cal. and they are great in .300 Win mag, 300 Norma Mag and 300 RUM. BUT... they are not hunting bullets.

What's the heaviest, most accurate .30 cal. hunting bullet you have found?

Jeff has done alot of testing on the 215gr Berger Hybrid at long range with his magic stick 300 WM. I've started stocking up on the 215's and H1000 just for this.

-shm

a)god bless berger
b) 200 grain accubond murderously dealdy
c) 200 gr TTSX fb just as murderously deadly

The OP is looking for opinions on a hunting bullet. The 215 Hybrid is advertised as a target bullet, same for the 230 Hybrid. Wouldn't the 230 Hybrid be a heavier version of the 215 Hybrid target version?
Well....Yes. 230gr is heavier than 215 grains... :D

I have a 210 Berger VLD hunting bullet loaded up that shoots 3/8 MOA out of my 300 win mag. muzzle velocity in the mid 2800 range. I would like to try the 215 based on feedback from this forum, but have yet to get my hands on any.

Anways, just based on accuracy and energy numbers at the elevations I hunt, my rifle and the 210 Hunting VLD (not talking about the shooter) has the potential to cleanly kill elk out to about 1200 yards. That's pretty tough to beat. The lower BC of the 200 accubond and the 200 LRX fall below their functional velocities around 1000 yards.

The OP is looking for opinions on a hunting bullet. The 215 Hybrid is advertised as a target bullet, same for the 230 Hybrid. Wouldn't the 230 Hybrid be a heavier version of the 215 Hybrid target version?

Read through that post. It shows pictures of what Jeff has done. I can't tell you how many times I have read through that post. It will show you exact yardage and what to expect for performance on game animals, inside and out.

That being said, if you aren't looking to stretch it out past 500-600 yards, then my vote would be the 200gr Accubond. I took a 666lb cow moose at 217 yards with one a few years back out of a 30-06. Hardly any damaged meat. Had to load quick for a last minute hunt, didn't do alot of load development.

I would take the time to at least browse through every page on that post...... Plenty of pictures too.

-shm

Berger has great shooting 230 gr.... Hybrid bullets in .30 cal.... BUT... they are not hunting bullets.

What's the heaviest, most accurate .30 cal. hunting bullet you have found?
Read through that post. It shows pictures of what Jeff has done. I can't tell you how many times I have read through that post. It will show you exact yardage and what to expect for performance on game animals, inside and out.

That being said, if you aren't looking to stretch it out past 500-600 yards, then my vote would be the 200gr Accubond. I took a 666lb cow moose at 217 yards with one a few years back out of a 30-06. Hardly any damaged meat. Had to load quick for a last minute hunt, didn't do alot of load development.

I would take the time to at least browse through every page on that post...... Plenty of pictures too.

-shm

Unless I'm mistaken it appeared the OP was wanting comments on bullets that were not the hybrid be it the 230 or 215....irrelevant to how they performed on big game.:D Makes one wonder how the 208 A-Max target bullet would stack up also against a game animal.

If the search button in the upper right hand corner was used, I wonder what would pop up regarding advertised target bullets used to take big game animals under certain conditions?lightbulb

That being said, if you aren't looking to stretch it out past 500-600 yards, then my vote would be the 200gr Accubond ...
-shm

+1 for the 200 Accubond. It's a real hammer from point blank out to wherever it reaches 1800 fps. Beyond 500-600, I think the Berger 210 Hunting VLD is the winner for higher retained energy and less wind drift.

And for what it's worth, my rifle shoots the Berger 210 VLD more accurately than the 200 Accubond.

OBSERVATION:
I supported and was first to answer the question as posed and with support from the members i might add.I was ignored. so Hence I must be a moron.
Then in fact i shall not respond again and you can continue to waste everyones time postulating on an answer to an unrelated question.

THANKS GENTS, your responses were quite helpful. Love this forum.
amazing
Berger 230 gr. Hybrids shoot very well from my .300 Win mag HS Precision competition rifle. And downrange trajectory distance has actually increased - amazing.

Here's hoping the Berger 210 VLDs shoot as well from my .300 WM Browning A-Bolt.
It has a Browning BOSS system muzzle brake so I can adjust it for ideal muzzle vibration frequency & accuracy.

The excellent Berger pills combined with the BOSS brake should make for excellent accuracy.

I have fire-lapped this barrel with a NECO kit and that "polishing" may even get me a few more fps from the muzzle. I know it helps in reducing fouling B/C cleaning reveals less fouling on the patches.

And the Accubond bullets will get a comparison. In fact I'll try both brands from both rifles for the heck of it.

My dad has been shooting the 200 AB for years in his 300 RUM. I've shot it, and I've killed some elk with it. It is a deadly, tough, dependable bullet. He doesn't shoot it really good out of his gun, but that's also because he hasn't really worked on a load for it. It's my job! So when I get back I will be working on it for him, either with Retumbo or H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts