Montana Wolf hunters!

Yeah that's it, 14,000 have died because of winter. Does winter of 96-97 ring a bell.
Tunnel vision Sherm. I don't have it. I read everything I can find about this wolf situation. I share most of it here. I don't care which side it supports. That's why I can spot the dumbasses a mile away. mtmuley

I was there in the hayday with my Dad on a hunt.It was amazing the game they HAD.Youll see a handfull of bulls on winter range around here when we had 30-50 for 30+ years of my adult life.I use to pass up about 6 bulls a year,now have had years I dont even see a six pt after 40-50 days out,that west side MT.

I would really like to know how much of that is from depredation and how much is from the elk changing their ranges.
My wife has lived in this little community for 40+ years, and she has said they never saw elk here up until 3-4 years ago.
Never saw wolves, either, but that changed too.
We're probably 40 miles from the Beartooths.

These numbers speak for themselves, about a 20 year trend were the herd was 14,000 to a high of 19,000 untill 2003. Winter didnt do this, yeah it fluctuates. We had the worst Winter on record in 96-97 this year basically winter didnt even hit untill mid Jan. Montana F@G are never going to admit the real truth. Notice in the article not one word mentioned of the wolf. I urge if you really wanna know what's going on go to the meetings and listen to what your officials are up to these days not what you can read about in articles that are often times slanted to to one side, I've heard it from the horses mouth so to say, and it's not good . Here in Region 1 our department is not for the hunter, trapper anymore and are scared to death of any litigation on the wolf or grizzly bear, I've heard that exact statement right from guy running region 1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190408-170350_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190408-170350_Chrome.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 135
I read an article a long time ago that compared elk radio collar positions before and after wolves reintroduction and it was something like 70% of the time the heads were down eating and after the wolves it was 70% up watching for wolves (presumably), also the elk were "stressed" which combined with less feeding lowered the birth rates.

On a recent hunt in CO I spoke with the DFG officer who had just come from a lion killed deer carcass we found up the road and I asked him how often they kill a deer or elk. He said every three days or sooner if a bear or coyotes get to it. Wow, that is a lot of animals and they don't kill for fun like wolves. We have a ton of lions here in CA but we can't hunt them. Wolves are making their way into Northern CA and they will be worshiped more than the lions. People here would lose their sh#t if their designer dogs were torn up by wolves. With the lions they just disappear and are never seen again. As if that isn't enough we have the feds now expanding the range of the CA Condor(don't let the majestic name fool you, it's a vulture) to places it has never been and I'm sure they will see a lead ban(bullets and shot) based on junk "science" like our was. We can no longer use lead shot for upland game, no .22's for ground squirrels, etc.
I would however support reintroducing the grizzly at our southern border !
https://www.courthousenews.com/feds-help-condors-expand-into-historic-west-coast-range/

Last edited:
Hmm F&G just flew it and said there where 5000+ elk ,that report just said 10000 elk,thats a big difference

In Wyoming 3 years ago there were only 6 wolves in the area after "managing" them for some cattle kills yet we managed to see a pack of 13, and hear them at night from three different areas simultaneously that were at least a half mile apart. Could be the same ones split up but the point is there way more than they said.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.