Montana Wolf hunters!

Were exactly in central Idaho? As far as I was aware only Yellowstone. Why not let them expand on there own? Oh I know let the government intervene they know better right because of some so called experts. Just like the biologists that were caught red handed planting lynx hair.
I know you think @mtmuley is some kind of wolf hugger, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Steve, I dont think I should say anymore about my nephew other than what I have already. Whatever his reasoning is for calling me a ******* I really dont care but when that happens I loose what little respect I had for him. Before that I was just a transplant. I've lived here now just about as many years as were I was born which was western Washington. I moved here in 1991 because I got a gut full of the liberal spotted owl B.S and all the other hunting stuff that happened in the mid 80's. From the time i was able to i hunted, hiked, and from 18 years old untill I moved here when I was 32 years old I worked in the woods cutting timber there and a stint in Alaska, upon moving here I worked 1 year helicopter logging for Carson helicopter in Idaho, N.E. Oregon and here in Mt. I have spent 1,000's of hours in the woods from working, hiking and hunting I've seen first hand the changes and I dont like alot of it. I've been going to the bi- annual meetings in kalispell since I moved here and the last few there is a whole different mentality and as far as I'm concerned it's not for the better of the hunter.
Like I said earlier I read very little and dont care to on this wolf situation or any depredation. There is a problem all the way around but I'm a firm believer the wolf put it over the top.
Sorry for the long post.

.....Just like the biologists that were caught red handed planting lynx hair.........

My backyard-USFWS, USFS, and Washington Wildlife, total of 7 employees conspired to close an entire National Forest.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/jun/08/wolf-transplant-a-howling-success-32-out-of-the/

Just the first article I came across.

Wolves in Glacier, Bob Marshall, and various other spots up and down the Rockies prior to Yellowstone transplant absolutely. Interesting is the period where officials began denying it to improve their legal position. They'll confirm it now-such wasn't the case at the time.

Sherm, I really don't give a revolving fornication in a soaring sphere of pastry if you like or respect me. I will however apologize for whatever name I called you. Wolves were reintroduced into the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone, and the Middle Fork of the Salmon in 1995. 14 in YS between January 12th and 19th, and 11 in the Middle Fork on January 20. Zero wolves "reintroduced" into Montana. You say you don't read about the wolf issue, but there it is. Also, I think too many people have laser focus on the GYEH. What happened there isn't indicative of what has happened statewide. And, wolves aren't the only factor to deplete that herd whether you, or anyone else chooses to believe it. It's my opinion that Montana's management of elk using the current Elk Management Plan adopted in 2004 would have eventually decimated that herd, wolves or not. I find it interesting that Montana hunters as a rule see no problem or harmful impacts in hunting elk for **** near 7 months, but mention a wolf, and that's what is wrong with elk hunting in our state. There's a lot of people that need to get their heads out of the sand and take a look at what's happening statewide. It's not very pretty. As far as transplants, I believe many of the upper management in Montana FWP are exactly that. Gone are the people from this state that are native to here and were educated here that love and participate in hunting. Just my opinion of course. Anyway, as Steve said, I ain't a hugger. He'd know, we've been friends since junior high I think. Have a nice day. mtmuley

Muley I believe also the shoulder seasons are B.S and there management plan sucks. If you've read my post from the beginning I've been very critical of our region 1 F@G. I'm sick and tired of them buckling to the special interest that's why everytime I try to read and article like the one in the Bozeman who's info do they quote a biologist and 9 times out of 10 all they talk about is winter this winter that.
We have a predator problem all of them right down to the g- bear and a management problem.

You all have a elk problem and we over here have a Deer problem. And a elk problem in the breaks.

It in our case comes down to poor management. Numbers are down so lets give out more tags!! That what it feels like at least!

I wish I had 100.00 everytime I have heard our region 1 officials say "we dont like to take away opportunity " so I told them last year if you keep doing the same thing over and over your gonna get the same results correct. Crickets
Next I told them you keep going and there wont be any opportunity for anyone. Crickets.

The majority of Montana hunters prefer opportunity over all else. I remember a survey to that effect about 10 years ago. Maybe I can find it. Smacking a forkhorn buck on Thanksgiving or a cow during late season is important to some folks. They talk opportunity in Region 2 also. So much so that the mule deer hunting here might be wrecked. mtmuley

I wish they would Limit Tags and Length of season. And Limit more of the season When the buck rut. Basically cut the season for buck off during rut.

But most would not like that. Thats when most of the buck are shot here. In fact they wait till then to shoot the bucks because it simple for them.

But they will loose money if they do that.

I have not shot a deer in three years..... Just not many of them here like there used to be.

I've hunted the Selway Wilderness alot down your way from early 2000, to about 3 years ago. I've got a very good friend in
Victor him and I packed in alot with horses and mules. He just had his second knee replacement so that's put the damper on that plus game isnt in there like it was when I first started. Dont know if you were in the Bitteroot when Spence Trogdan outfitted there before he was killed in a car wreck. Gary Gindrich was his lead packer for ever I got alot of good information from Gary.

I guess from a legal "no wolves were released in Montana" is technically correct. I think from a biologic standpoint, pack size, reproductive potential, pup survival, and dispersement it's a little naive. Nor can one ignore the impact of reducing a food supply for the grizzlies is having in Montana, any more than one can deny the impact closing the dumps had on the bears.

Maybe the swamp is deeper here in Washington, but impact of Federal agencies on basic camping, and or hiking, by leveraging the Endangered Species Act is a real problem. If you haven't experienced it yet, it's headed your way.

The Federal $$$$$$ making "local agencies" less responsive to their constituents on every front is real as well.

...Yes we had them showing up here long before the famed wolves were forced to live in Yellowstone.......

My recollection is it was the government that argued there were none here. They even eliminated the classification for the those wolves. The origins of many believing there were none stems from this. What we agree on is the government has lied to us, is lying to us, and will continue to lie to us.

Even "Greenies" (some) admitted they were here. In one of the under reported aspects of this debacle is the suit to stop transplant included the Audubon Society. Their position was wolves existed in the area, were increasing, and the addition of others was bad science, and unnecessary. More interesting to me is Montana/Wyoming ranchers and the Audubon Society on the same side....

Much of the misinformation regarding this and any other issue has come from the swamp. Kicking each other loses sight of this, and the fact it continues unabated.

Screw the wolf (metaphorically) focus on moving the Feds alphabet soup, the Endangered Species Act, forest "management", and all their other policies back to DC.

My recollection is it was the government that argued there were none here. They even eliminated the classification for the those wolves. The origins of many believing there were none stems from this. What we agree on is the government has lied to us, is lying to us, and will continue to lie to us.

Even "Greenies" (some) admitted they were here. In one of the under reported aspects of this debacle is the suit to stop transplant included the Audubon Society. Their position was wolves existed in the area, were increasing, and the addition of others was bad science, and unnecessary. More interesting to me is Montana/Wyoming ranchers and the Audubon Society on the same side....

Much of the misinformation regarding this and any other issue has come from the swamp. Kicking each other loses sight of this, and the fact it continues unabated.

Screw the wolf (metaphorically) focus on moving the Feds alphabet soup, the Endangered Species Act, forest "management", and all their other policies back to DC.
If they admit that there has been a few sightings of whatever animal that is rare or non-existent, then immediately the entire region will fall under federal control through the endangered species act. Think of the private property implications, let alone the lost opportunity for sporting activities. If they adamantly deny the existence of said animal, then hopefully a plan can be put together to fight off the tree huggers that are looking for any way possible to turn a place like MT into a zoo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.