Montana Wolf hunters!

The thing about the reimbursement that the wolfhuggers are twisting is that it is NOT a bounty- it is reimbursing people for the expenses they incurred.
Just like everything else- they slant the truth because the really have no logical argument.
Yes. That was my point. No bounty just cost reimbursement. And I am pretty sure the guys that are getting reimbursement are proficient trappers. Also this doesn't include time.

My overriding point is to those who think we can all just go out and 3S the problem away, are fooling themselves and anyone who listens to them. The people spouting this look and sound like fools and are used to frame all sportsman as uneducated idiots that just want to kill everything.

Now I am sure that some of these shallow thinking folks will come out and call me a wolf hugger again.

I followed the link as well as I could, and I'm not sure I made it to where you were pointing.
As near as I can tell you were pointing out winter kill, and human predation as factors in the decline of elk in the northern yellowstone.
Yes there have been bad winter kills, a friend sent me a clipping years ago (pre-internet) probably still here somewhere. The gist of which was the winter kill was so bad the predators/scavengers couldn't keep up. The clean up crew of that time were generally a bit lazier, and tended to finish a higher per cent of an animal before killing another.
Human predation can be regulated.
The reproductive rate of ungulates can produce quick recoveries, in these scenario's as neither really impacted the calf crop like the wolves have. I think it was the count of 2013 that failed to come up with a calf that made it into the next year. Single digit survival has been noted in several places.
Winter, and human hunting have seasons, and limits. Attempts to place limits on wolves is the issue. Recreational hunting/trapping/SSS/auto interactions to this point have failed to maintain wolves at any particular level.
Neither can it be denied (although they try) the wolves impact on other predators, grizzly dispersal from Yellowstone, single digit mountain lion production, etc. Or the contribution to the complete removal of caribou from the lower 48.
The current model of fair chase will have to be modified significantly if we are to manage this predator in a somewhat cost effective way. Guess what? wolves shot from helicopters on our dime are just as dead, as if the fly overs were conducted privately.

I was living in Wyoming when they were starting to reintroduce them and everyone i knew was against it. Does anyone wonder why they were shot,trapped, and poisoned to near extinction 100 years ago! Why don't we just open all the prison gates and tell everybody to do whatever they want!

Hmm wonder why. Only down about 14,000 from 25 years ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190406-122419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190406-122419_Chrome.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 148
Made me chuckle.

Yeah, I laugh every time I get into an argument with my very liberal sister and she brings up one or the other.
When Minnesota was in the middle of a bad cold snap this winter, I brought up the global warming and yep- THAT's what was causing the record cold!
You gotta laugh, but at the same time it's pretty sad that people can't use their own brain to see past the political rhetoric.

Yeah that's it, 14,000 have died because of winter. Does winter of 96-97 ring a bell.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.