Montana Rifle Company, Sako, Weatherby

Rhunter2

I am looking at a few different rifles right now and most of them I cant drive a couple of hours and see. The one I am most interested in is the Montana Rifle Company X2. Caliber will likely be 7 rem mag and it will be an elk gun. I was at Scheels yesterday and looked at a Weatherby Accuguard which I thought was a very nice gun as well as a Sako A7 Roughtech. Cant say that I like the plastic pieces on the Sako. The Accuguard was very well built. I also picked up a Sendero but those are way heavy for climbing a mountain with a pack. To add another option, their is a new sako 85 finnlight listed for $1200 right now. My current gun shoots like crap once the barrel warms up and I am afraid the 85 will be the same way. My budget for the rifle would be under $1500. I want stainless and synthetic. Any thoughts on these guns, especially the X2? I am researching myself to death.

I am looking at a few different rifles right now and most of them I cant drive a couple of hours and see. The one I am most interested in is the Montana Rifle Company X2. Caliber will likely be 7 rem mag and it will be an elk gun. I was at Scheels yesterday and looked at a Weatherby Accuguard which I thought was a very nice gun as well as a Sako A7 Roughtech. Cant say that I like the plastic pieces on the Sako. The Accuguard was very well built. I also picked up a Sendero but those are way heavy for climbing a mountain with a pack. To add another option, their is a new sako 85 finnlight listed for $1200 right now. My current gun shoots like crap once the barrel warms up and I am afraid the 85 will be the same way. My budget for the rifle would be under $1500. I want stainless and synthetic. Any thoughts on these guns, especially the X2? I am researching myself to death.

You would think, but looks can often be deceiving... I would be leary of the Weatherby if it has a Criterion barrel on it, and would look at a different brand entirely, if it does. Not trying to nit-pick your choices, just throwing out my opinion based on past personal experience.

Sorry, it's not what you're asking but I like to keep things simple, if your current gun shoots accurately cold bore, save the $1500 towards a full custom with custom action. I am going through that right now, just dropped off all the components to my gunsmith last Friday. :rolleyes:

I currently have a Kimber Classic 270 WSM. Barrel heats up quickly and groups get wide. I like to shoot and hate that I have to wait for the barrel to cool between shots.

If your barrel warms up during your hunt, there's a more serious problem that need to be addressed. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Last edited:
We need a "LIKE" button option on this site!

Will this do?

Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg

:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.