Montana Rifle Company?

Varberger757

Does anyone of the members have relevant experience with the rifles of the Montana Rifle Company? I liked very much what I could read and see, and I would very much appreciate some substantive comments on the subject. Thank you in advance.

Does anyone of the members have relevant experience with the rifles of the Montana Rifle Company? I liked very much what I could read and see, and I would very much appreciate some substantive comments on the subject. Thank you in advance.

I wish it was a more favorable comment esp. for a Montana made product, unfortunately that is not the case. Below is thread a couple of years old ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/montana-rifle-company-117057/

Nat Lambeth's (a very reputable gunsmith) comment says it all for me. Hopefully, he'll chime in and expound his comment for you.

Cheers!

Ed

Thank you, @Feenix! :)
What I heard about them, their quality, reasonable prices etc. is quite the opposite of what I could read in the older thread. :rolleyes:
On their website are many fine rifles to find both in composite and wood. RH and LH and their Mauser inspired actions with controlled feed and Win 70 safety seem to be of first class quality. I know a guy in Norway who did use one of their actions for a 9,3 x 64 Brenneke project, and it works just fine and a lot of extra adjustments were not necessary. So, I'm looking forward to get some more information for a conclusion.

I too like their action design and the their prices. I have a couple of friends that have their built rifles and they are very satisfied.

Perhaps whatever quality/accuracy issues they have on their actions before have been resolved.

My experience with MRC action is about 180 deg of rustystuds'. I have used more than a 'few'. Have I had feed issues with some? Yes, not every action is going to feed every cartridge that can be pushed into the magazine, perfectly. For that matter, most every Remington 700 can have it's feed cycle improved as it comes from the factory, too. Ever barrel a Mauser '98 in a caliber it wasn't offered in from the factory(s)? Are they priced right? IMO they are. Investment casting seems to have been perfected by Rugers' "Pine Tree Castings". The years that Ruger has used investment casting process has shown it's a sound manufacturing operation. "Pine Tree Castings" does the investment casting for MRCs' actions. The casting is only the first part, the CNC machining of that casting is the next. The actions I've used needed very little if any straightening/truing. That says to me MRC must do a pretty good job on the machining end of the operation. Is MRC a 'custom shop', where you can order up any alteration to the action like you can from say, Defiance? No, it is not. MRC makes & sells an action that is very suitable for most standard calibers and if you don't mind doing a bit of hand work, can be made to feed, say,,,, the 284 case without a hitch. It's called "gunsmithing", not putting 'drop-in' parts together. So, if you don't mind a bit of "gunsmithing" it makes a fine action at a very reasonable price. You get what you pay for. You can go to other manufactures and they'll have all your feed issues solved and the safety timed to perfection at a much higher cost, and that'll be just for the action & bolt,,,, no feed components, trigger or bottom metal included.... Not everyone is going to spend $1200 for an action and bolt, and then several hundred more $$$$ for bottom metal, trigger, ect, ect.

I have a stainless synthetic mrc in 300 win....the craftsmanship and fit and finish on it is great, i havent shot it personally due to a back injury but a friend shot it at 100 yards and all rounds were touching with a 4 shot group. The only thing i dont like about it is its a touch heavy but other than that its great.

I like most of what I've seen and heard about MRC so far. Also from good people I know who have tested the 2014/2015 models and test results were interpreted on FB. For me who needs LH - versions MRC has a very tasty portfolio. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.