Montana rifle company?

Oldschool280

Hello gang, I have come across a rifle that i like on the web and i like i what i see. Montana extreme in 338 rum. Price 1500. Stainless, hand lapped, mauser/model 70 hybrid with jewel trigger ect. Wondering if anybody here uses and likes these rifles. Seems like a nice workhorse to me. A search of the forum here yielded me nothing. If you have a minute please inform thanx in advance.

They have changed hands I think it was in August. I have been around a couple of them was not impressed, that being said was when the previous owner had it.

280, my friend has one in 300RUM. Very accurate with minimal load work. He said Montana wanted extra $$$$ for the accuracy load they had for it. Nice rifle overall.

I like them enough to have 3 of them. I am left handed and they make almost everything in LH.
2 of my MRC are customs built on their actions. One is a Factory rifle. They are great actions mine are true and shoot lights out. One feature that I really like it the long mag box on the Short action it is 3.125 so I run a custom 270 WSM with the Berger 170 EOL seated at the proper place and still have room in the mag. If I were to find fault it would be that they are a bit heavy. They now use Al bottom metal in some Factory rifles but so far they have not offered it for sale. They have promised to sell me 2 but I have not got them yet. A very solid Winchester pattern action that does not need the Winchester cut in the barrel.
Sounds like you have found a good deal if it is what you want I would go for it. Understand that there is not the after market parts available that there is for the rem pattern rifles. Even though I have not had any trouble finding what I need. EGW makes a HD Rail and McMillan make stocks that are inlet for the MRC. On one of my actions It was necessary to bed the rail to true it up. Hope that helps.

Expand your search: Lot's of mixed feelings on Montana Rifles. Some people are happy with their results out-of-the-box. Some people encountered serious problems and then also had bad customer service experiences. Some people say things have gotten better as the company matured, but some people are still reporting problems. This in light of paying a premium price for a supposedly premium factory rifle.

Maybe new ownership is fixing current problems, but, then, maybe not. Too soon to tell.

A few examples:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...topics/7032157/Re:_Opinions_of_Montana_Rifle_

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/experience-with-montana-rifle-company-rifles.67806/

JMHO

Last edited:
On another forum the new owner has been on there and had offered to fix problems. He seems to be a lot more interested in customer service/satisfaction than the former owner.
Bruce

Thats all good info guy's thanx, nice to hear that the new guy is interested in doing the right thing.

Hello gang, I have come across a rifle that i like on the web and i like i what i see. Montana extreme in 338 rum. Price 1500. Stainless, hand lapped, mauser/model 70 hybrid with jewel trigger ect. Wondering if anybody here uses and likes these rifles. Seems like a nice workhorse to me. A search of the forum here yielded me nothing. If you have a minute please inform thanx in advance.
Well...if you watch "Colorado Buck" he swears by his...lol. Personally I don't know of anyone that has one though

I have a Montana action on a custom 338 RUM/ 458 Lott. I don't know if it's an extreme action. The Mauser action doesn't feed nor extract well. I sent it back to Montana and the guy that made it and they improved it but I'm not entirely satisfied. It's a heavy rifle but the recoil is good in that 338. Less than my 300WM. It shoots accurately however

I have 300 RUM Extreme and a buddy has a one if 300 WM, both are exceptional shooters. The first round of reloading on the 300 WM with 180 TTSX bullets, we were getting sub .500" 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

I am getting .750" groups with 168's at over 3500 fps from the 300 RUM.

About the only issue so far with mine is the lack of bedding, that was an easy fix. The stock is well made, just not bedded to my standards. It still shot well with out any bedding.

I was at the Hunt Expo in Utah last February, spoke in length with the new owner about some of their past issues and there future plans. Liked everything he said and the direction he is taking the company. Of course, those are only words. Hopefully he will follow through.

The only problem I have had with them was getting a hold of someone on the phone early last year. Seemed like all you could get was VM and rarely a return call. With the new ownership, there was allot of personnel changes in the customer service department and else where, now you can get answers.

I hate Voice Mail. I ran a equipment manufacturing company for 25+ years, the rule was the phone must be answered by a live person with in 3 rings. If they weren't and all the lines weren't lit up, I was out of my chair looking to see *** was going on. Everyone had better be on the phone.

They are owned now by Remington Arms.

Check out cooper firearms of Montana instead

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.