Montana rifle company?

I am very anal about using brass between rifles, never mix them. I have 4 PPC's, their brass is in different colored boxes and never interchanged. Between my son and I we have three 270's, brass is never mixed.

The only exception is the AR's, they are just spray and pray guns, so who cares.

Because of the very shallow almost none existent shoulder on the Whelen, it does not take much to be off.

Find a gun smith to make you a "gizzy" (that's what we call them). It is a small piece of barrel that the smith runs the reamer in just enough to create the shoulder. You slide it over the neck down to the shoulder, then measure from the base of the case to the top of the gizzy on a fired round. After sizing it, you can tell with in a .001" if you have pushed the neck back. When I get home tonight, I will take a photo of one and post it.

My suggestion is to always keep the brass for the two rifles separate.

That still does not eliminate the possibility of setting the shoulder back with a mal-adjusted sizing die.
You could even be setting the shoulder back with the seater because the shoulder is so small, you can hardly feel the crush.

I am always amazed by people buying "Once Fired Brass" shot in someone else gun. Brass is cheap, why take the chance?

JMHO

Fizzy, hope this shows what I am describing.

This Gizzy was made from a piece it from the actual barrel. It has the same throat as the barrel when it was first chambered. 20190410_194043.jpg

Attachments

• 20190410_194121.jpg
    20190410_194121.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • 20190410_194131.jpg
    20190410_194131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
I had an all weather model, stainless, grey synthetic stock, .338 Winchester. It looked beautiful but I had numerous problems with it. Bedding was not done right so I redid it. Top of the action was slightly out of spec so I shimmed the heck out of the rear scope base. Then the bolt stop collar on the bolt broke, replaced it with a Winchester collar. Then the extractor broke, replaced it with a Winchester extractor with help from my old gunsmith . At this point I had less than 40 documented test loads through the rifle. I sold it and was happy to see it go. I bought a custom Winchester Model 70 after that, no issues. I realize every manufacturer has a blooper now and again, but this rifle never should have gone out the door. Also after the discussion I had with my gunsmith (now retired ) I will never buy another.

Starting to sound like the thread is getting frayed! I bought a very slightly used Montana 1999 in stainless 7mag, came with box and papers. I can't get it to shoot better than 3/4 groups. Going to bed it when I have time, maybe that will help. But called them left a message and never got a call back. Customer service?

Check for an action screw binding, one a guy brought me to look at was the problem. As noted in previous post bedding is something to be desired one some I've seen

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.