Modern vintage looking scope advice?

For actual modern replacements I'd focus on those with good glass and a smaller objective like Swaro z3 3-9x36

For vintage I'm really loving a Schmidt & Bender fixed 4x that I got for a similar reason. Super clear glass and solid build quality.

Zeiss 4x32 also comes up pretty often. Here is a good example but pricing is too high imo. I have one I picked up for $350 a while back: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3851646818...WWTeyfGAEclj5X9pqZ0PW9rFY=|tkp:Bk9SR7DQtPf4YA

I was lucky enough to inherit my grandpa's custom 270 Win when my father passed. It was built in the late 1950's on a Mauser 98 action that was taken home after WW2 as a war trophy (note swastika cartouche on action in last pic). The rifle has a gain-twist custom barrel and plain walnut stock (makers unknown). It was designed by my grandpa after a chance encounter with Jack O'Conner who was hunting coues deer in southern AZ at the time. Note the fixed 4 power Weaver K scope.

Attachments

• IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 87
I've looked at this site a couple times. Not sure how legit, but have some interesting items.

BTW: the receipt would be about $2,700 in today's dollars
I have several scopes from there and recommend highly. If you are looking for a fixed 4x or 6x get one that's reglassed….they do modern lenses in the old scopes!

Hi everyone. I was recently gifted a couple of cool 1950's vintage Mauser rifles that were owned by my great uncle Bill. One is a .30-338 and the other is a 7mm Mag. He lived in California and used them to hunt deer in CA and Elk in Colorado and other places. Anyway, neither gun retains the original scope so I was thinking to either get a vintage scope or probably a more modern but appropriate scope like a fixed power Leupold or Weaver with a gloss finish. It doesn't look like gloss finishes are available for the most part these days. Anyway, I thought I would throw the question out to the forum. Any recommendations?

On a side note, here is a pic of the guns (.30-338 has the maple stock). A pic of my uncle bill with an elk and the 7mm and a pic of the receipt for the .30-338. Gun smithing was Sam May of Apex rifles fi both. How bout those prices!

-Jim

View attachment 400482View attachment 400483View attachment 400484
Beautiful rifles. Things like that are priceless. Can't help with the scopes other than suggest classifieds or eBay. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I have several scopes from there and recommend highly. If you are looking for a fixed 4x or 6x get one that's reglassed….they do modern lenses in the old scopes!

That is very interesting link. Being able to get the old gloss scopes re-glassed with modern lenses is a great option.

Hi everyone. I was recently gifted a couple of cool 1950's vintage Mauser rifles that were owned by my great uncle Bill. One is a .30-338 and the other is a 7mm Mag. He lived in California and used them to hunt deer in CA and Elk in Colorado and other places. Anyway, neither gun retains the original scope so I was thinking to either get a vintage scope or probably a more modern but appropriate scope like a fixed power Leupold or Weaver with a gloss finish. It doesn't look like gloss finishes are available for the most part these days. Anyway, I thought I would throw the question out to the forum. Any recommendations?

On a side note, here is a pic of the guns (.30-338 has the maple stock). A pic of my uncle bill with an elk and the 7mm and a pic of the receipt for the .30-338. Gun smithing was Sam May of Apex rifles fi both. How bout those prices!

-Jim

View attachment 400482View attachment 400483View attachment 400484
Be still my heart, those are some classic rifles... that .30-338 is a super cartridge.
Good luck Cheers

That is very interesting link. Being able to get the old gloss scopes re-glassed with modern lenses is a great option.
If you find an old weaver that has the tube in good condition, you can even send it in and they will re-glass it for you and I think let you pick a reticle and all that jazz. I have only bought refurbished variable scopes from there but I also sold him a weaver K4.

Since they've been sporterized, I'd be more interested in putting something on them that works.....Instead of just looking 'vintage'..... like this 03-A3.....

IMG_2067_zpsrtsk2qmw.jpg

In 1973 I purchased a Redfield 3x9 Widefield and mounted it on a then new JC Higgins (Sears) 270 Win that my Dad and I shared. About ten years ago I came across a pre '64 Model 70 Win in 264 Win Mag. I thought to myself that that Redfield would look perfect atop the 264 WM. And it looks ever so period and shoots very nicely! I suppose some might argue for a Weaver of early '60's vintage but I think the Redfield Widefield is very cool and can not recall any other manufacture copying that design. And no, it is not for sale so don't ask!

In 1973 I purchased a Redfield 3x9 Widefield and mounted it on a then new JC Higgins (Sears) 270 Win that my Dad and I shared. About ten years ago I came across a pre '64 Model 70 Win in 264 Win Mag. I thought to myself that that Redfield would look perfect atop the 264 WM. And it looks ever so period and shoots very nicely! I suppose some might argue for a Weaver of early '60's vintage but I think the Redfield Widefield is very cool and can not recall any other manufacture copying that design. And no, it is not for sale so don't ask!
I have a couple myself, they are cool….Weaver did do a "W" model but they only had a wider ocular lens (at least on the low power variables), which literally doesn't translate to any benefit other than looking cool. I have the 3-9 Widefield Lo-Pro and an earlier 2-7 widefield. One is going on a pre-64 model 70 build and I am thinking about putting the 2-7 on a Remington 600/660. Old guns with old scopes just look cool.

Old guns with new scopes might not look as cool, but old guns with modern upgrades will out-perform 'looking cool'. THAT is more important than looks, to me.

IMG_6892.JPG
Old oil finished high figure walnut and high gloss blue and a high gloss scopes and modern lenses is even better. Anything with a synthetic stock means a vintage scope is pretty much wasted effort.