Modern vintage looking scope advice?

Old guns with new scopes might not look as cool, but old guns with modern upgrades will out-perform 'looking cool'. THAT is more important than looks, to me.

IMG_6892.JPG
That's what I like about this guy over at Vintage Gun Scopes…..he nitrogen purges and reseals all the older scopes and some he also completely reglasses.

I dig what you did here though, that ever so recognizable dog leg bolt, I see you also like the 600's. That's a sweet rig! I am contemplating doing a timber rifle build with one and going with a custom stock from Boyd's, Timney trigger and either the refurbed Redfield 2-7x or a nice, modern, light scope like a VX3, Maven or Tract Toric in detachable rings….

The synthetic won't warp, twist or swell if wet or humid. Tell me how high figure walnut is 'better'.....

I do agree with your assessment that a vintage scope is wasted effort, tho....grin

Does he do anything for zero retention or reliable tracking? Does he add new erectors and turrets?
He does indeed….was actually one of my questions when I sent him one to refurbish. I guess he buys parts too and will swap out internals. I actually sent him a weaver V7 I bought that had a busted erector, he didn't have any in at the time and said "I can hold onto it for you and replace it when we get some parts in if it has sentimental value or we can put the refurb pice towards one we already have fixed up." He did school me on the issues with the first gen weaver variables though…you are right the erectors are a super common failure point in those old Weavers.

He does indeed….was actually one of my questions when I sent him one to refurbish. I guess he buys parts too and will swap out internals. I actually sent him a weaver V7 I bought that had a busted erector, he didn't have any in at the time and said "I can hold onto it for you and replace it when we get some parts in if it has sentimental value or we can put the refurb pice towards one we already have fixed up." He did school me on the issues with the first gen weaver variables though…you are right the erectors are a super common failure point in those old Weavers.
But also not really a huge issue for me when it comes to dialing, especially on the rifles I tend to use the older scopes on…..a shot over 100 yards during whitetail season here is rare, hell a shot over 50 is rare. If it can hold its zero at 100 yards, you might have never have to fiddle with the turrets after it's sighted in 😂.

And if you do happen to get an even rarer shot at 600? Say 'oh well, bye-bye'?.....
Nope, I have different rifles for that.

Different tools for different jobs.

I wouldn't shoot over 100-150 yards with my savage 99 with a weaver v7 in 308 at a deer. But I also wouldn't take it to hunt deer in a place where I'd be shooting that distance. I live in NH, we don't have land like you have out west, I lived in NM for a bit, the forests can't be compared.

But I would take the X Bolt with a 24 inch barrel in 6.5 creedmoor and Tract 3-15x scope and stretch out further if I was out west hunting antelope or much farther if I'm just shooting paper here at the range.

Depends on where and what you are using something for.

In 1973 I purchased a Redfield 3x9 Widefield and mounted it on a then new JC Higgins (Sears) 270 Win that my Dad and I shared. About ten years ago I came across a pre '64 Model 70 Win in 264 Win Mag. I thought to myself that that Redfield would look perfect atop the 264 WM. And it looks ever so period and shoots very nicely! I suppose some might argue for a Weaver of early '60's vintage but I think the Redfield Widefield is very cool and can not recall any other manufacture copying that design. And no, it is not for sale so don't ask!
I loved those scopes and if you put upgraded modern glass in them that's a perfect way to go.

Again though there's some great deals on older German Glass and older Weavers and Redfields to be had on Ebay from time to time so that's always a good place to start looking.

Wow, that was an expensive rifle! I think my dad paid less than $30 for the 8MM German Mauser he gave me. I wish he'd fancied it up a bit more, but money was tight back then. I wouldn't buy too old of a scope, today's scopes are so much better. I'd look on eBay for a used Leupold. Their guarantee is really good, and not limited to the original purchaser.

With respect to modernizing old guns, seems to me that it is better to just leave them be and enjoy them for what they are. I have plenty of stainless/synthetic/cerakote guns to tote around in the woods. These two were obviously high quality builds of the time and have sentimental value so I am going to scope them up and take them hunting.

I think I am leaning towards a Leupold VX-II or VX-III gloss finish for a combination of relatively modern optics and function but looks the part. Maybe alternatively a fixed power Leupold. Or maybe I will put an old weaver on one and a Leupold on the other. Anyway, I appreciate all of the suggestions. I need to get a scope soon because I am itching to see how the 7mm in particular shoots. Waiting for my uncle to dig out the old .30-.338 reloading dies.

-Jim

I loved those scopes and if you put upgraded modern glass in them that's a perfect way to go.

Again though there's some great deals on older German Glass and older Weavers and Redfields to be had on Ebay from time to time so that's always a good place to start looking.
I got burned by a couple of the older Weaver variables on there as mentioned earlier. A lot of them have broken erectors and some people can fix them but the parts have to be available. Leupold is always a good option because of their transferable lifetime warranty. You can find great deals on older Redfield's and Iron Sight Inc in Oklahoma will refurb the scope and put a new reticle in it for you if you choose for a very reasonable price (around 100 bucks). The issue with the Redfield's is the same as the Weavers, eventually they will run out of replacement parts. The fixed power scopes don't have many parts to break. I have an older Denver made Burris 4x on a 10/22 and the glass is really bright, really nice.

With respect to modernizing old guns, seems to me that it is better to just leave them be and enjoy them for what they are. I have plenty of stainless/synthetic/cerakote guns to tote around in the woods. These two were obviously high quality builds of the time and have sentimental value so I am going to scope them up and take them hunting.

I think I am leaning towards a Leupold VX-II or VX-III gloss finish for a combination of relatively modern optics and function but looks the part. Maybe alternatively a fixed power Leupold. Or maybe I will put an old weaver on one and a Leupold on the other. Anyway, I appreciate all of the suggestions. I need to get a scope soon because I am itching to see how the 7mm in particular shoots. Waiting for my uncle to dig out the old .30-.338 reloading dies.

-Jim
If you decide to go fixed power, you have some options for modernizing old scopes: https://targetshooteroptics.com/

I lived in Las Cruces NM outside of El Paso for a bit. This shop was started by a gentleman who worked in the El Paso Weaver factory and they basically hot rod older fixed power scopes.

Recent Posts