Modern vintage looking scope advice?

Jbar280

Hi everyone. I was recently gifted a couple of cool 1950's vintage Mauser rifles that were owned by my great uncle Bill. One is a .30-338 and the other is a 7mm Mag. He lived in California and used them to hunt deer in CA and Elk in Colorado and other places. Anyway, neither gun retains the original scope so I was thinking to either get a vintage scope or probably a more modern but appropriate scope like a fixed power Leupold or Weaver with a gloss finish. It doesn't look like gloss finishes are available for the most part these days. Anyway, I thought I would throw the question out to the forum. Any recommendations?

On a side note, here is a pic of the guns (.30-338 has the maple stock). A pic of my uncle bill with an elk and the 7mm and a pic of the receipt for the .30-338. Gun smithing was Sam May of Apex rifles fi both. How bout those prices!

-Jim

A0E64148-731F-4EB7-B31A-E6C9DC935B69.jpeg
7477E602-27D9-482D-AF23-C6D32C24A75B.jpeg
B77754A9-3D4C-46A8-99D8-D0292816B2C8.jpeg

Very cool. You can find older gloss scopes for sale fairly often if ytyou look for them. High end Bushnells, 4500 or 6500, Redfields, Weavers and Leupolds are the most common. I looked everywhere for a current production Gloss scope, I could not find a single prioducer, let alone a quality scope in gloss any more. I bought s cou[ple of gloss Swaro, one gloss Zeiss and 2 gloss Leupold VXIII. A little patience and they weren't that hard to find. Best of luck. I like the old pictures and the original bill of sale.

Beautiful rifles.Old world craftsmanship...
I,m curious... I think that is real ivory inlays...
I have a similar rifle with ivory and was interesting in the legal ramifications for insurance and buying and selling ivory...

I hadn't even thought about the potential ivory on the stock. I haven't ever seen a stock quite like this one.

For the gentleman with the k4 - sure, I would be interested to see some pictures.

-Jim

Nice rifles! I recently put a 4–12 Zeiss Tera on a 1954 FN sporter in 257 Roberts is doesn't look mismatched. I also have had good luck purchasing older used gloss scopes on EBay.