Looking for some advice?

Good shooting. I've looked at the 6.5 PRC and I'm done looking now. All it does is duplicate the 260 Rem. Hornady makes that round because of loss of sale. The 6.5 Creedmoor sales are starting to drop because people are finding out how much better the 260 is. So Hornady came out with the 6.5 PRC and all it does is duplicate the 260 Rem. Look at factory ammo Hornady makes for the 260. They stop at 129 grain for a reason. People say the 260 is only 50 FPS faster than the Creedmoor. But people like me who actually reload for both I get 250 FPS more from my 260 Rem with the same bullet. I'm getting 3030 FPS with 140 grain Berger's. My Creedmoor is only getting 2780. Now my 260 has a 27" barrel and the Creedmoor has a 26" barrel. So if the Creedmoor had a 27" barrel I could probably squeeze another 25ish FPS out of it. I have heard of the prime ammo I never shot it though. It must be good to hit a 1250 yard target with factory ammo. That's awesome. Before I started reloading for my 260 I was shooting HSM 130 grain Berger's. If I remember right I only took it out to 800 yards. I did shoot some Cor Bon 123gr Scenar they where crazy fast but I never got a chance to stretch its legs. I got a heart shot on a doe under 100 yards and I didn't thank I even hit it cause she didn't even flinch. My friend and I found her about 4 hours later LoL. The grass was 3 foot tall and it was getting dark. If you thank 4 hours was crazy to track a deer then your really gonna laugh when I tell you we found her about 40 yards from the truck. Man we laughed so hard at each out. I was like some great tracker you are bud. LoL. We did cape her out and it was a perfect heart shot. All I can say is yes you can hunt with Scenar bullets. To keep thangs clear it's on a ranch. He has MLD permits. We have so many doe and buck we have to take each year. I still don't understand all of it I'm just along for the ride.

Isn't the case capacity of the PRC quite a bit higher than the 260?

Well Hornady is only claiming 2910 FPS from their 147 ELD 2960 FPS with 140 ELDs and that's with their superformance powder. I'm getting 3030 FPS from my 260 Rem but I do have a 27" barrel. The books say the case is same length as the the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's just fatter. To me Hornady is jumping on the short mag bandwagon a little late. Remington and Winchester has all ready done that. Of course I don't own a 6.5 PRC so until I mess with one it's all just speculation. It seam like Hornady is using Remingtons SAUM case dimensions. It Appears Hornady is getting into F-Class shooting and is trying to duplicate wildcat loads in a factory rifle. I don't thank that's a bad thing. It's just we the people//shooters have all ready done that. At best it mite duplicate 6.5-284 performance but again that's only 50 FPS faster than my 260 rem. Instead of doing a 6.5 PRC just do the 26 Nosler. I don't thank a $3500 ish build is worth getting 50 FPS more out of the same bullet. Not even 100 FPS. The 26 Nosler should be around 300 FPS faster than the 260. Maybe even 400. It will be very interesting to see what us reloaders can get out of it.

Well Hornady is only claiming 2910 FPS from their 147 ELD 2960 FPS with 140 ELDs and that's with their superformance powder. I'm getting 3030 FPS from my 260 Rem but I do have a 27" barrel. The books say the case is same length as the the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's just fatter. To me Hornady is jumping on the short mag bandwagon a little late. Remington and Winchester has all ready done that. Of course I don't own a 6.5 PRC so until I mess with one it's all just speculation. It seam like Hornady is using Remingtons SAUM case dimensions. It Appears Hornady is getting into F-Class shooting and is trying to duplicate wildcat loads in a factory rifle. I don't thank that's a bad thing. It's just we the people//shooters have all ready done that. At best it mite duplicate 6.5-284 performance but again that's only 50 FPS faster than my 260 rem. Instead of doing a 6.5 PRC just do the 26 Nosler. I don't thank a $3500 ish build is worth getting 50 FPS more out of the same bullet. Not even 100 FPS. The 26 Nosler should be around 300 FPS faster than the 260. Maybe even 400. It will be very interesting to see what us reloaders can get out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.