Scope advice

rclouse79

I had my mind made up I was going to buy a Zeiss Conquest Rapid Z 600 scope to go on a new Tikka T3 270 Winchester. Since then I have seen a lot of people using turrets. I had a few questions.
1). If 600 yds was most likely the longest shot you would ever take, would it be better for the average guy to hunt with a drop compensating scope or a scope with turrets?
2). Is a Bushnell 4200 Elite scope high enough qualtiy to consider buying turrets? (I am assuming you can add turrets to an existing scope)
3). If I am able to add turrets to my current scope, what am I looking at spending?
4). On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to become moderately proficient at using turrets.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

I like to turn dials, so I find a load that does what I want, chronograph it then plug in the numbers to one of the free ballistics calculators, then go shoot to varify. You can print out and/or make range cards for your specific gun/load combo. Sounds like a lot of work but hey ,if your pullin the trigger its a good thing..:D I just picked up a Vortex Viper for my 300wsm and so far it is 399.00 at optics planet well spent. Have always read that the 4200 elite is a good scope for the money it costs.

Dialing for elevation is easy, just range your target and consult your range card,then turn the correct number of clicks or mils whichever you choose.

Last edited:
both of my hunting partners use the Vortex Viper as well. As far as a price point scope goes I've never seen one that can beat it. Great warranty (drop it off a cliff on a hunting trip and they'll give you a new one). Very repeatable adjustments.

For me personally I like to dial if it is beyond 300-400 yards. There should never be a "quick shot" at ranges above 400 yards so you'll always have time to dial and, it is for the majority of shooters, more precise.
I would go with mill-dots over a BDC simply becuase you can do a ton with mills. you can use it as a BDC or for range estimation.
MOA reticles are nice, but are usually on the pricier scopes. Make sure that when you get a turret scope that its calibrated in MOA not mills (for the turret).
Vortex has a MOA reticle scope with Front focal plane coming out soon. It may be the one your looking for.

Welcome to LRH!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.