Mod 70 or Rem 700

Tnwhip

I have a friend that has a Stainless varmint barrel, Laminated stock, mod 70 Coyote in 25 WSSM and a Rem. Varmint Mod 700, 308 with a H-S kevlar stock. He is going to give me my choice. I just can't make up my mind. I reload for him and know both rifles very well. I have probably shot them more than he has. Working up loads. They both shoot good and I like both rifles. I am not crazy about the 25 WSSM but I use to have a 25-06 and have plenty of 25 cal bullets on the shelf. My main rifle is a 280 Ackley. I have other 308s, a FAL and a R-25 Rem. So I have plenty of 308 stuff. If I got the 25WSSM I wonder what I could rebarrel it to? Being a WSSM I guess I am limited to what I can do? I don't need either one, but I know Need has nothing to do with it anyway LOL.

From what I can tell, it looks like the Model 70 would basically be a short action with a magnum bolt face (maybe wider feed rails?). You could re-barrel it to any WSM or SAUM based chambering. The RCM's would probably work too.

I say go with what interests you the most.

I would go with the 700 .308 honestly, if you want to mod it later, because your feed rails won't be as wide as RUM or Lapua feed rails, like they will be on the .25 WSSM.

If you go with the .308 (short-action, standard bolt face) you will have ALOT more caliber options later on down the road.

But that's just my opinion.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I guess everyone needs a good 308 bolt gun , I had one years ago.. gun)The 25WSSM is a neat little cartridge but Brass has been really hard to fine but I have 200 on hand. Some of the necks split and I have annealed the ones I reload. That may have took care of that. We have not shot it much in the last couple of years.

With it being given to you I would go with the 25wsm since it is not a very common rifle. On top of that I like the Win model 70 rifle itself. Every model 70 that I have shot has had a very nice action and the Rem 700 that my buddies have just do not feel quit as smooth.

With it being given to you I would go with the 25wsm since it is not a very common rifle. On top of that I like the Win model 70 rifle itself. Every model 70 that I have shot has had a very nice action and the Rem 700 that my buddies have just do not feel quit as smooth.

That is another reason it is hard to make up my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.